PDA

View Full Version : Bore Snake Cleaning?

Dynasty
09-27-12, 08:52
I just picked up a Bore Snake for my AR15. What is the proper way to clean a Bore Snake? I want to ensure I clean them properly so when I clean my firearms the next time, I won't be using a dirty cleaning product.

What cleaning technique do you use for your Bore Snakes?

midSCarolina
09-27-12, 09:24
I have always used warm water and dish soap (Dawn).

Grand58742
09-27-12, 10:03
I just toss them in with the rest of my gun cleaning rags in the laundry machine. Seems to work okay.

ST911
09-27-12, 10:48
I have always used warm water and dish soap (Dawn).

I just toss them in with the rest of my gun cleaning rags in the laundry machine. Seems to work okay.

These.

Key points are to isolate them from other laundry to avoid contaminating stuff with gun cleaners and oils. If you throw them in a washing machine, use a mesh laundry bag / lingerie bag.

Can't say I've cleaned my boresnakes much. Much more a device to get excess and chunks out, rather than achieve any measure of real cleanliness.

Repawn
09-27-12, 12:31
I use an old plastic gallon milk jug - fill with hot water and dawn - throw the bore snake in shake it real well (cap on) Then let it soak for 10-15 minutes. Rinse well - hang to dry.

Hmac
09-27-12, 12:37
Can't say I've cleaned my boresnakes much. Much more a device to get excess and chunks out, rather than achieve any measure of real cleanliness.

Exactly. I see it as a interim touch-up device and field expedient, not for terminal cleaning. I don't think I've ever cleaned a bore snake. If I were going to, I like the milk jug/dawn trick.

nineteenkilo
09-27-12, 12:42
I use Dawn as well fwiw. It does a hell of a job on grease and various other crap.

d90king
09-27-12, 12:46
Wait. Wut? You are supposed to clean a bore snake :eek: I just buy new ones :secret: I laughed last night when I read a poster stating that he would never use a boresnake on his AR. :rolleyes: Damn things are like manna from heaven!

devinsdad
09-27-12, 13:15
Ive used them since they hit the market, but I know I've never cleaned one. I have bought new ones, but never cleaned them. Honestly, I didn't know you we're supposed to.

Dacam
09-27-12, 13:15
These.

Key points are to isolate them from other laundry to avoid contaminating stuff with gun cleaners and oils. If you throw them in a washing machine, use a mesh laundry bag / lingerie bag.

So I guess its ok to throw my bore snake in the wash in lingerie bag with my wifes panties and thongs?.......LOL. I better not! That will be the end of me.

ennbeegunny15
09-28-12, 08:33
So I guess its ok to throw my bore snake in the wash in lingerie bag with my wifes panties and thongs?.......LOL. I better not! That will be the end of me.

I wouldn't put it in the washing machine, it gets pretty oily in there afterwards. ask me how i know? dawn, handwash, hang it up gtg.

Dynasty
09-30-12, 14:55
Thanks for the input everyone! I will stick to the bucket/jug of Dawn method as opposed to the washing machine.

On a side note, I have BreakFree CLP and Hoppes #9 solvent. What would be the best way to effectively clean the bore using these products?

I was thinking of spraying the bore with CLP, letting it sit for 10 mins, then running a dry patch through the bore. Follow up with the Bore Snake with a some #9 before the brushes, run that through and be good to go?

09-30-12, 16:30
Exactly. I see it as a interim touch-up device and field expedient, not for terminal cleaning. I don't think I've ever cleaned a bore snake. If I were going to, I like the milk jug/dawn trick.

Yea I used the CRAP out of mine last time "in the sand" and never cleaned it, but I also never called a weapon clean without running a brush/patch through the bore.

B-Rad
09-30-12, 18:02
Personally I really don't clean em. Every once in awhile I'll spray the hell out of with gun scrubber, wring it out and let it dry

NCMedic
09-30-12, 18:49
Just throw it away and get a new one when it comes to the end of its life....

Sent from this... Using that...

currahee
09-30-12, 18:51
I'm supposed to clean my boresnake?

markm
10-01-12, 08:06
Bore snakes clean? :blink:

just a scout
10-01-12, 08:13
I've run mine in the dishwasher once or twice. With a clean cycle afterwards. DO NOT tell my wife......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stan9106
10-01-12, 17:37
So how long till somebody posts asking how to unwrap a bore snake from the agitator in their washing machine?

HackerF15E
10-01-12, 18:09
I laughed last night when I read a poster stating that he would never use a boresnake on his AR.

As the argument goes, the boresnake can have foreign objects embedded in 'em (like jacketing material from your last cleaning) that would....

....well, I dunno what they would do...but that's the argument people use. They might be dirty.

I don't subscribe to that view. As others have said, they're good for a quick swipe while at the range or in the field when I don't otherwise have the time to give them a 'real' cleaning.

HackerF15E
10-01-12, 18:09
I've run mine in the dishwasher once or twice. With a clean cycle afterwards. DO NOT tell my wife......

Is that all you do with the dishwasher?

Hell, I use mine to clean up wooden milsurp stocks!

ST911
10-01-12, 18:12
So how long till somebody posts asking how to unwrap a bore snake from the agitator in their washing machine?

This is a smart group. It won't be a direct post like that, but instead a request for assistance in completing some unspecified washer repair that involves disassembling the drum and agitator.

just a scout
10-01-12, 18:16

Ha! Put it in the silverware basket. Worked ok for me so far.

BangBang77
10-01-12, 22:06
Ha! Put it in the silverware basket. Worked ok for me so far.

You have a silverware basket in your washing machine???

darwing31
10-04-12, 23:26
I rarely clean my bore snakes but when I do I just hand wash them in the sink. If one gets really ratty I just buy another.