PDA

View Full Version : Buttstock or Bolt catch issues

Huntsman82
09-27-12, 09:09
I have a new BCM recce 16". I added a Magpul MOE stock and a Magpul ambi Sling adaptor. After going to the range and then cleaning my gun I realized that if I push the buttstock in firmly the bcg will cycle forwards. I'm not sure if this is an operator error when I installed the sling adaptor or if it could be the bolt catch. Any help would be greatly appreciated

aecasasus
09-27-12, 11:08
I'm unsure if this will answer your question but, yes...ar rifles will release the bolt assembly(forward) if you tap them on the back.

fixit69
09-27-12, 11:12
No. They shouldn't. Replace bolt catch. Function and safety check

Huntsman82
09-27-12, 11:14
People have been telling me both. Imo it seems dangerous for this to be occuring and I doubt it is a normal thing to happen on ARs. Thanks for the input.

fixit69
09-27-12, 11:16
Iva e only had this happen once. It was a bad bolt catch. Is this with mag in or out.

Moltke
09-27-12, 11:19
This -

I have a new BCM recce 16". I added a Magpul MOE stock and a Magpul ambi Sling adaptor. After going to the range and then cleaning my gun I realized that if I push the buttstock in firmly the bcg will cycle forwards. I'm not sure if this is an operator error when I installed the sling adaptor or if it could be the bolt catch. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Is different than this.

I'm unsure if this will answer your question but, yes...ar rifles will release the bolt assembly(forward) if you tap them on the back.

Yes. If you have an AR and the bolt is locked to the rear and you slam it on the rear of the buttstock hard then it will release the bolt. If you gently tap it, the bolt should remain open. If you push on the stock while extended or collapsed, it should remain open.

Get your gun checked by an armorer who knows what to look for.

aecasasus
09-27-12, 11:22

So...what do you do to fix it? I have been working as a law enforcement agent for the past 12 years and all M16 and M4 rifles have...as well as all my personal AR rifles.

I have even built over a dozen AR's and from day one they have released the bolt carrier from open position.

aecasasus
09-27-12, 11:28

So...what do you do to fix it? I have been working as a law enforcement agent for the past 12 years and all M16 and M4 rifles have...as well as all my personal AR rifles.

I have even built over a dozen AR's and from day one they have released the bolt carrier from open position.

fixit69
09-27-12, 11:29
If you are retracting a stock, that amount of pressure should not be enough to release the bolt.

A hard slam will cause it to release.

ETA: the only fix for this is a new bolt catch. If someone else another way I would like know.

midSCarolina
09-27-12, 11:33
As mentioned in the post above mine, I have seen people slam the stock down to shut the bolt way too many times. However, simply pressing down on the stock should not do this. It sounds like a faulty bolt catch... the sling mount should have nothing to do with this.

Huntsman82
09-27-12, 11:51
It never happened to me until my buddy was giving it the look over and slammed the buttstock home. It does not do it through routine weapon manipulations such as extending the stock or retracting it.

I will have someone check the bolt catch for me. Thanks again for the insight

aecasasus
09-27-12, 13:35
If you are retracting a stock, that amount of pressure should not be enough to release the bolt.

A hard slam will cause it to release.

ETA: the only fix for this is a new bolt catch. If someone else another way I would like know.

Agree... maybe I didn't use the proper words/verbage but this is what I reffered to!

aecasasus
09-27-12, 14:58
It never happened to me until my buddy was giving it the look over and slammed the buttstock home. It does not do it through routine weapon manipulations such as extending the stock or retracting it.

I will have someone check the bolt catch for me. Thanks again for the insight

My first post answered your question then! Like the others mentioned (keep in mind I didn't mention normal handling, I mentoned taping), taping it or slamming it will cause it to release the bolt carrier group. In normal operations and handling, it shouldn't.