PDA

View Full Version : Thumb Safety-No Definitive On and Off

OldState
09-27-12, 09:25
Just got a new 9c with a thumb safety. I noticed that you can push it very slightly down and disengage it while it still appears on. My 45's safety is very definite. Just like my 1911's but a little lighter.

SW wants me to send it in but I'm thinking there may be an easy fix. I'm pretty comfortable with minor smithing but haven't really studied the m&p safety.

Any experience and fix this?

tb417
09-27-12, 18:40
I haven't tried it, but maybe Doc has an update.

As noted in a couple of other posts, it takes just a couple of minutes to make the M&P ambi thumb safety more positive in function, like a 1911. This thread explains how to do the mod: http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=26004&st=0&p=260473&#entry260473. You can use a file, Dremel, or dental drill to deepen the notch...

I haven't really had any problems with mine,

Hope it helps,

Tom

ralph
09-27-12, 21:43
I had the same problem with my .45 mid..(2008 model) it had a thumb saftey (which I later removed) But,from the factory, the saftey was very easy to disengage..The fix was very simple (assuming you know your way around dissassembling a M&P) Anyway, you'll need to remove the saftey levers, and with a round jeweler's file,carefully deepen the notches on the left side of the saftey lever where the detent engages them,You may want to file a few strokes and temporally reassemble, test, using a punch in place of the pin to hold the sear housing in place in the frame,Try not to alter the shape of the notches. I did this and ended up with a very nice, positive, "click" as you moved it on and off,

DocGKR
09-27-12, 22:36
Bingo!

OldState
09-27-12, 22:37
I had the same problem with my .45 mid..(2008 model) it had a thumb saftey (which I later removed) But,from the factory, the saftey was very easy to disengage..The fix was very simple (assuming you know your way around dissassembling a M&P) Anyway, you'll need to remove the saftey levers, and with a round jeweler's file,carefully deepen the notches on the left side of the saftey lever where the detent engages them,You may want to file a few strokes and temporally reassemble, test, using a punch in place of the pin to hold the sear housing in place in the frame,Try not to alter the shape of the notches. I did this and ended up with a very nice, positive, "click" as you moved it on and off,

I have an apex kit coming so I will try it when I have the thing apart. I had found the above link but the pictures were removed.