PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide

thehun
09-27-12, 10:09
Alrighty members, need your help

I am in a dilemma. Do I build an 7.5" AR Pistol (dont want to pay the extortion fee from govt) or do I build up my SW MP with Samson Evo Rail, new 14.5" midlength barrel w/ KIES compensator or do I get Aimpoint PRO optic

I do not sell my guns so resale value means nothing...my S&W is shooting amazing and with zero FTFs or any issues of any kind so I do not mind building it up...it already has a drop in handguard but it is carbine length so there is not a lot of room to hold on to the gun.

AR Pistol, I always wanted an SBR but the fee is just crazy and I do not want to pay it...so I can build a good pistol for under $600. I want 7.5" set up so it can easily be carried anywhere

500grains
09-27-12, 11:06
Do I build an 7.5" AR Pistol

No. 7.5 is too short to be reliable, and AR pistols are a stupid idea anyway.

or do I build up my SW MP with Samson Evo Rail, new 14.5" midlength barrel w/ KIES compensator or do I get Aimpoint PRO optic

No.

Sell the S&W and get a good quality AR15.

lethal dose
09-27-12, 11:11
If the m&p performs, why change it?

fixit69
09-27-12, 11:50
What exactly is wrong with SW if it is running? Still have mine, going on 6 years, still runs fine. Sample of one, but I like my sample.

ETA: OP, I you don't have a quality optic, the aimpoint should be next on the list.

Split66
09-27-12, 12:01
Why dont you just cowboy up and go SBR if it's something you've always wanted? The "crazy extortion" fee is only a one time thing after all. Seems silly to relegate yourself into building an unreliable piece of shit, or playing dress up with an already working carbine out of spite.

In the end it's your scratch, good luck.

saddlerocker
09-27-12, 12:06
Just get the optic

If the S&W is running fine then keep it.

devinsdad
09-27-12, 12:07
I agree, the $200 tax really isn't that "crazy". I've yet to understand the draw of an AR pistol unless you just can't own an SBR. And a 7.5" barrel usually causes more problems than shooting. Do the paperwork, write the check and SBR the Smith.

thehun
09-27-12, 12:20
My SW has been a great gun...and SBR it would probably be the best route since it already has a great quality guts

Split66
09-27-12, 12:48
My SW has been a great gun...and SBR it would probably be the best route since it already has a great quality guts

There ya go. Figure out how you are going about it, get your paperwork on the way ASAP and then figure you have 5 or 6 months to save up for an upper.

A complete Colt 6933 upper or Bravo Company SBR upper isnt TOO far off the $600 range you were looking to spend on something you'd probably regret anyway. Check the EE here as well, there are always good deals floating around on lightly used quality NFA uppers....

Moltke
09-27-12, 13:28
Seem like you have a choice between doing something cool, and doing something useful.

The cool choice is having a SBR. Yes, it's cool. Yes many people have them, myself included. What can you do with it that you can't already do with your S&W?

The useful choice is having a red dot sight. You're going to be a faster/better shooter upgrading to an optic like that.

I'd get the optic, but the choice is yours.