PDA

View Full Version : schim HELP

NC_DAVE
09-27-12, 13:43
Today I went to the range to sight in my remington 270w for deer seanson. I had the elevation maxed out it was still 4 inches high at 25 yrds and about 7 at 100 yrds. While at the range I noticed the ring appeared alittle loose however I did not have an allen wrench with me. When I mean loose I mean there appeared to be more space on the rings than the back one. However the scope did not move or wobble while in the rings. Also the scope and rings came with the rifle. Could the ring position on the mount effect this as well?

When I got home i tightened the ring and the scope moved forward a litte. I could tell only becasue of the paint job.

A guy at the range suggested I schim the ring. My qeustion is if the tightening of the scope does not work. Should I schim the rear ring to lower the front half.

Picture of the scope rings to show the movement that came from tightening the ring.
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o616/mgdave/A563B38A-411F-4157-814D-9C4363433C1B-171-00000017F6DA4BA8_zpsfbf321a3.jpg

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o616/mgdave/0C34A1FF-3A9B-411D-B888-DD91A4CDB03F-171-00000017F40A52E5_zps80cd8156.jpg

On the gun it was a used remington I picked up for 150 a few years ago. I never really shot it until this year.

nineteenkilo
09-27-12, 16:20
Shimming rings is a bad idea. If done incorrectly, it adds a temporary filler to the base of the ring causing a lack of space and undue tension at the top. Basically, it distorts the ring to an 'out-of-round' shape and binds on the optics. If done correctly, it is a still a stop-gap measure.

Shimming bases is no better and both are the mark of an unqualified armorer IMO.

He may have meant to remove material in the rear ring in order to lower the rear of the optics. This does not, however, raise the front and would be a waste of time and good rings.

Having said that, I would consider changing ring height to a better balance for what you need. While I generally stick to the 'as low as I can go' ring philosophy, sometimes you have to do what the rifle wants.

Are those weaver rings on a rail base? Looks that way to me from the pics and, if so, should be an easy fix.

NC_DAVE
09-27-12, 17:23
Should I just get taller rings or can I tell which ones will fit better? Or do you mean just change the rear ring out or both? I have no idea if the current rings are weaver.

nineteenkilo
09-27-12, 20:41
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. What is the POI with the elevation dial all the way the other way?

NC_DAVE
09-27-12, 21:27
Do you mean before I turned the dail down? If so it was shooting so high I was not even on paper at 25 yrds.

Could the pisiton of the scope rings effect this. I mean to placement on the rail. The scope was did come on the rifle but I took same of last year for some reason I dont remember.

nineteenkilo
09-28-12, 08:38
Man, I'm at a loss. It sounds like either bad optics, wrong bases and rings, or a bent barrel (very unlikely) at this point. I hope I'm wrong.

1. Try the scope on another rifle and see if it will zero.
2. Try another scope in your existing rings to eliminate the optics.

Edit*** Make sure you have the front ring in the front and the rear in the rear. In the pic it looks like your front ring is taller. Also make sure your base is facing the right way.

NC_DAVE
09-28-12, 20:45
I will have to see if I can use a buddies scope to test. As I only own one scope. Since this is my first year hunting I am already forkin out money for other stuff. And was hoping to use what I already had on hand.

I looked more closely at the front and back ring and thought I would try switching them around. I mean hell at this point it can't get much worse.

If this does not work I might just use my AR this year. Do you think the scope would work adequately on the ar with the same rings. If neither are my problem child.

And thanks for the help

nineteenkilo
09-28-12, 22:37
I would think it would be just fine as long as it isn't the original problem.