PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance AR

mcbridebr
09-27-12, 14:10
Hi folks,

I am wanting start building a long distance shooter on the AR Platform. Im not sure if I want to go .308 or stay with .223. There are a few parameters that I am not sure about, I did a little searching and found a few helpful hints but not exactly what I am looking for.

What I am wanting the rifle to do is have the ability to be accurate at 300M +. Varmint and small game.

When it comes to .308 or .223 as a long distance shooter would you give the .308 on the AR Platform the time of day?

While looking at DD I see they have the 18" barrel but not a 20" barrel. So that got me thinking, would I really need a 20" barrel?

Is there a particular company that I need to gravitate to that might be know to have better long range options?

I would like to have it set up with a bipod, free float tube/rail. Is there anything else that I should be looking for to make the rifle more accurate (knowing that a lot of the accuracy comes from the shooter)?

As far as optics, theres so much to choose from I am not going to ask for that here but if you just have to plug one, lemme hear it!

V/r,

McBrideBr

markm
09-27-12, 14:18
We've shot a 12.5" ACOG'd SBR to 700 yards.

I'd stick with an 18" White oak barreled AR15. 300M is chip shot stuff for that set up. And you'll be able to shoot a lot more since the ammo will be cheaper.

Some 69 gr and 77 gr SMKs and you'll be wearing out 300m like nothing.

mcbridebr
09-27-12, 14:22
I was checking them out a little while ago. I saw this one on their site.

.223 Varmint Barrel, 18", 1-7 (http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17574&cat=250&page=2)

Then there is their SPR Match Barrel

SPR Match Barrel (http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17518&cat=&page=1)

markm
09-27-12, 14:42
I think Pappabear has the SPR Match. If you want to do more shooting, then .223 is the way to go.

If you don't plan to shoot a lot and want more umph and higher BC bullets, then a .308 would be good.

midSCarolina
09-27-12, 15:06
300-700m is not problem with a .223/5.56 AR. I have done a lot of 600 yard shooting (over the pond at the farm) with my 10.5" LMT MRP. If I were you, I would build an 18" SPR. I would typically tell you to go with JP but I have heard some negs about them lately so I am kinda shying away from them until I get more information.

Noveske would probably be a really safe bet. There barrels are outstanding and that is going to be the most important part for a long range AR.

.308 is a cool rifle and I am really kinda lusting for one but .308 is just unnecessary when it comes to varmint hunting. I use Barnes Precision 70gr 3Shock and it works great for varmint, hogs, deer, and really whatever else we have here in SC.

mcbridebr
09-27-12, 15:11
300-700m is not problem with a .223/5.56 AR. I have done a lot of 600 yard shooting (over the pond at the farm) with my 10.5" LMT MRP. If I were you, I would build an 18" SPR. I would typically tell you to go with JP but I have heard some negs about them lately so I am kinda shying away from them until I get more information.

Noveske would probably be a really safe bet. There barrels are outstanding and that is going to be the most important part for a long range AR.

.308 is a cool rifle and I am really kinda lusting for one but .308 is just unnecessary when it comes to varmint hunting. I use Barnes Precision 70gr 3Shock and it works great for varmint, hogs, deer, and really whatever else we have here in SC.

I live in Big Foot country though. Had sightings here around Big Stone Gap, VA. ;)

clmarshall21
09-27-12, 15:21
Don't over look the nearly 1lb of added weight that you would end up with if you go with the WOA Varmint that you have linked above. I have a barrel with nearly the exact same specs as the SPR barrel you linked and I feel like that upper is a tank. Of course you are going to get added weight if you go with a SS SPR type barrel but adding an extra pound on top of that seems nuts to me.

FWIW I agree with the above statements regarding caliber. 5.56/.223 is cheaper and perfectly effective on small game while being able to reach out to some pretty impressive distances.

Not to mention that most .308s in the AR platform are very expensive if you buy from a reputable manufacturer. If .308 is what you NEED then so be it. If not, enjoy a 5.56/.223 rifle.

mcbridebr
09-27-12, 15:26
Yeah after reading around I think I will stick with a .223. I like to shooting my weapons too much.

eesmith4
09-27-12, 15:33
Frankly saying "300m+ for varmints/small game" doesn't give us much to go on. I'd feel comfortable with any of my 5.56 sticks with good ammo for 300 to 400 meters.

If by long range you mean 300-700, then an 18" 5.56 will suit you perfectly. If you want to go 1000+, then you'll need a .308.

I frankly have no interest in a 20" barrel over an 18"; the velocity difference is only 30-50 fps depending on the load, and within 700 yards the trajectory/wind drift difference only works out to a few inches. Even my OBR on order is coming in 18".

I just find the shorter barrel to be a bit handier, YMMV.

I have no problem taking someone and with 5 minutes instruction on my MK12 having them make repeatable 600 yard hits on steel. Someone that knows their stick and is a good shooter won't have any problem tightening that up and stretching it out to 7-800 yards.

The BCM MK12 is a great choice if you want a turnkey upper; supposedly the barrels are from Criterion, which is Krieger's inhouse button-rifled OEM supplier. I can't confirm that, but all the scuttlebutt keeps point to them. Even if it turned out it wasn't them specifically, I wouldn't be concerned. BCM won't put anything that isn't top notch into their gear.

mcbridebr
09-27-12, 15:43
Thanks for bringing that up. I would not have a real need to go out past 700 meters.

markm
09-27-12, 15:56
If you want to go 1000+, then you'll need a .308.

A 223 will do a thowie. It's just not optimal.

eesmith4
09-27-12, 16:49
A 223 will do a thowie. It's just not optimal.

I've heard of succesful engagements with MK12s out to ~1100, and this guy has made repeated hits at a mile.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/shooting-223-mile-1.php

I agree it's doable, but the shooter better have good gear and his shit wired tight.

I think we can agree that of the two, the 308 would be a better choice at that range.

jonconsiglio
09-27-12, 16:54
If I was building a precision rig, I'd go with the White Oak or the MK12 barrel from Douglass, which is turned down by Compass Lake if I'm not mistaken. High Caliber Sales and Centurion Arms both have the exact barrel. I know Centurion offers a 16" version and I'd imagine HCS does as well.

This would be a dedicated precision AR. If I wanted a general use rifle that would reach out to those distances with somewhat repeatable accuracy, I'd go with a somewhat lighter profile stainless barrel, the 16" as I mentioned above or even a CHF Centurion or Noveske 16" barrel.

These are just the ones that would fit my needs, maybe not everyone else's. Right now, my 14.5" BCM CHF rifle with an ACOG TA31 or my SCAR H fill the somewhat longer range role, even with a 700 in 308, 50bmg and a 338 Lapua in the safe. I rarely have any use for those rifles and I have a few thousand acres for personal use. It seemed like a good idea at the time though! I'd recommend sticking to 5.56.

Good luck in your search.

markm
09-27-12, 19:26
I've heard of succesful engagements with MK12s out to ~1100, and this guy has made repeated hits at a mile.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/shooting-223-mile-1.php

I agree it's doable, but the shooter better have good gear and his shit wired tight.

I think we can agree that of the two, the 308 would be a better choice at that range.

Absolutely. In fact... if I was shooting a lot of 1000 yard shots, I'd just step up to a 300 Win Mag.

There's days when even the 308 is killing us in the wind at 700 yards. I'll just put that joker down and grab Pappabear's 300 and HAMMER that joker.

jawalterusmc
09-28-12, 08:21
I went with the 20" WOA (built by someone here on this forum) and mounted a Nikon P223 and bipod. I am dead on at 500+ yards as a few coyotes can testify too. I dare say I could reach out further but haven't had any targets yet.