PDA

View Full Version : AAR--LMS SHOT Show Carbine I

chiz45
02-05-08, 22:57
AAR--LMS SHOT Show Carbine I, January 31-February 1, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

I had never had formal rifle training before, and was eager to attend a class taught locally. Having youngsters at home and work makes it hard to leave town for a few days or more, and of course there’s the huge cost factor to consider when leaving town for classes—flight expense, hotel expense, and the ever-present risk of getting your equipment lost/stolen in transit. When Ernie told me that LMS was holding a local class, I jumped at the chance to attend.

The class was taught at the Boulder City Police Range. Four instructors were present: Troy Price, John Chapman, Mike Perez, and Ernie Beckwith. Their backgrounds are widely varied, which complemented their training styles. Troy Price was the lead instructor for most of the two days, while the others gave their insights and direction frequently. I found all four of the instructors easy to follow, and very helpful in their direction.

At the onset of the class, NRA safety rules were reviewed, as well as a safety plan, should someone get injured. EMTs and safety drivers were designated. Basic range safety was discussed and stressed throughout the course. Internal, external, and terminal ballistics were discussed and demonstrated. Following the short lecture, gun zero was determined. The students then lined up with targets, ready to begin their shooting instruction.

Day 1 was of course basic, focusing on target recognition and acquisition. I liked the paper targets used, as they were not your traditional B27 silhouettes, and the target zones were off-center on the paper. There were three different targets employed, each showing different angles of the ‘bad’ guy. I hadn’t used targets like this before, and I found them effective in getting shooters to stop hunting for the 10 ring and to focus on the target areas available. Varied and impromptu firing positions were discussed and demonstrated, as well as malfunction drills. Lots of malfunction drills. As a class, we must have left a good 200 unexpended but slightly bent or scraped rounds on the deck.

Mindset was stressed throughout both days—staying in the fight. If your rifle went down, you transitioned to your pistol. If you shot your weapon dry, you got it up and running. You did not end the exercise until you were topped off and ready for the next string.

We were constantly reminded to stay hydrated and use sunscreen, things often neglected when you’re busy loading mags, BSing, or servicing weapons.

Day 2 focused on shooting on the move; unorthodox shooting positions; and shooting under pressure. A lot of time was spent on proper movement and was done without firing. The shooting on the move portion was done individually, with an instructor close behind the shooter, ensuring safety and giving performance tips. Not for those that can’t chew gum and walk at the same time.

Throughout the course, students were addressed individually and immediately during firing strings, to correct and improve any problems or difficulties they were experiencing. The instructors watched the line closely, and seemed to be standing next to and aiding the student experiencing a problem almost instantly. This kind of attentiveness is key, especially with students relatively new to the AR carbine.

SBR length rifles also added some complexity, as the chances of muzzling one’s self or others increased; special attention was paid by the instructors to those with SBRs. Firing positions were modified to address the rifle style, in the interest of safety.

The final exercise effectively combined all skills taught over the two days. The random ‘skill challenges’ for prizes were fun, as it brought out just a bit more friendly competitiveness in everyone participating.

The attendees’ experience levels ranged from current LE/.mil and former military to one guy having just built and sighted in his AR15 a few range sessions prior. Rifles were all of the AR15 type, with barrel lengths ranging from 10.5” to 16.” All but one rifle had either an EOTech or Aimpoint. Only a few guns malfunctioned, one or two malfunctioned continuously, the problems appearing to be ammo or mag related.

I ran a 10.5" LMT w/Noveske pig brake. We went through approximately 900 rounds, and I had only 2 mag-related problems, and 2 shooter-induced problems. I did not clean the weapon between days, and only applied liberal BreakFree on day 2 to the gas port holes.

Equipment ranged from simple kydex belt-mounted M16 mag pouch holders to full plate carriers with drop leg rigs. Two students used shoulder bags, one of which was a Hawkepak Rifle bug out bag. Any one string required 3-4 mags to complete, so it is helpful to have the ability to support that kind of loadout.

I ran a bunch of kydex on day 1, holding 2 AR mags and 2 pistol mags, along with my Glock. This didn't cut it, as i found myself stuffing mags in my pants pockets. On day 2, I used the Eagle Industries Paul Howe chest rig and found this rig to be very good for this class. It did suck a bit going prone, as you couldn't get that low, but it kept my legs clear.

CONCLUSION:

I found the course to be quite good, and I would recommend it and the training staff to anyone, regardless of skill level. I did not find the concepts taught in the class to be revolutionary, as I had seen many of the techniques before, but performing the skills taught was beneficial, and will greatly enhance practicing on my own or with friends.

John Chapman
02-08-08, 16:44
Thanks for coming Chiz! It was great having you in class.