PDA

View Full Version : Noveske 14.5" Afghan 5.56mm W/NSR: buffer/spring questions

Armadillo
09-28-12, 22:33
I want to get a Noveske 14.5" Afghan 5.56mm W/NSR upper for 2 different lowers. It is mid-length.

One lower has a rifle length receiver extension. (Magpul MOE rifle stock)

Second lower has a carbine length receiver extension. (Magpul UBR stock)

What is the best spring power and buffer weight for each of my lowers?
I believe there is only one option for the rifle length- rifle spring and rifle buffer.

What about the carbine (Magpul UBR) lower?

I want to get Sprinco springs and Colt buffers.

I am looking at springs here...

http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html

I am looking at buffers here...

http://www.specializedarmament.com/catalog/AR_15_Buttstock-291-0.html

Finally, would these options change if I decide on a 16" upper, which is also a mid-length?

RyanB
09-28-12, 23:40
A rifle buffer setup is a little heavy for this setup. H with a standard power spring is right for the carbine. Same for a 16 mid with the caveat that you can use an H2 in that if you'd like.

Armadillo
09-29-12, 00:18
A rifle buffer setup is a little heavy for this setup. H with a standard power spring is right for the carbine. Same for a 16 mid with the caveat that you can use an H2 in that if you'd like.

Are you saying a H buffer will work with a rifle length receiver tube?

I thought rifle length receiver tubes could only work with a rifle buffer?

I am thinking that a regular buffer for a carbine would not be compatible with a rifle length receiver tube.

I need to be corrected on this issue.

Stickman
09-29-12, 14:31
What is the best spring power and buffer weight for each of my lowers?

What are the stock springs and buffers doing wrong for you currently? With that information we can try to adjust accordingly.

RyanB
09-29-12, 15:19
No the H is for carbine. There is only one rifle buffer weight I'm aware of and it roughly corresponds with H2 in performance, which might be a little heavy for a 14.5 mid.

Armadillo
09-29-12, 16:17
What are the stock springs and buffers doing wrong for you currently? With that information we can try to adjust accordingly.

I only have the lower but no rifle receiver extension for the MOE Rifle stock. No spring or buffer yet either. I do have the UBR set up on one of the lowers. I am trying to figure out what to buy.

No the H is for carbine. There is only one rifle buffer weight I'm aware of and it roughly corresponds with H2 in performance, which might be a little heavy for a 14.5 mid.

Ok, I'll get the H for the carbine.

If the rifle buffer is to heavy for the 14.5 mid - should I get another upper for the rifle length MOE rifle stock?

I did not realize that a rifle length receiver was not compatible with my plan.

If that is the case, would a 16 inch upper be more appropriate?

If so, could I use a 16 inch upper on both the carbine length receiver extension AND the rifle length receiver extension?

Thank you RyanB and Stick for your help so far.

Stickman
09-29-12, 21:14
I misunderstood your post earlier. Go with a stock rifle buffer and stock rifle spring for your rifle receiver extension.

For your UBR and carbine stocks, go with a standard stock carbine spring, and a H buffer.

RyanB
09-29-12, 21:51
The rifle buffer should work fine. I'd go so far as to say that with 5.56 it will. Don't use Wolf.

Todd.K
10-01-12, 12:09
Standard carbine spring and H buffer. You could use an H2 depending on the ammo.

Standard rifle spring and rifle buffer. You want to avoid very low power ammo.

702Shooter
10-02-12, 00:56
May I offer another option altogether?

"What’s more, the spring is removable from the assembly for custom tuning, and both the AR-15 and AR-10 versions of the JP Silent Captured Springs are functional in rifle- and carbine-length operating systems."

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php

http://www.jprifles.com/photos_new/operatingsprings.jpg

Stickman
10-02-12, 01:45
Lots of companies have made substitute buffer and springs, I've been given a bunch to try out. Notice I never recommend them, and if you spot checked my weapons, you would find they run stock components that work quite nicely in the aft end of the weapon.

$125 can buy a bunch of buffers, springs, and coffee...

702Shooter
10-02-12, 01:54
Lots of companies have made substitute buffer and springs, I've been given a bunch to try out. Notice I never recommend them, and if you spot checked my weapons, you would find they run stock components that work quite nicely in the aft end of the weapon.

$125 can buy a bunch of buffers, springs, and coffee...

While you bring up a valid point, and I do enjoy a good cup of coffee, apparently people still find some loose change to order these.

"Due to the enthusiastic reception of our new Silent Captured Spring, we have exhausted our first three production runs of parts sooner than we had imagined. We apologize for this miscalculation and can assure you that more parts are being run even now and should be available to ship in late-October."

Is it all hype? Personally, I'm not sure but I'll be finding out soon. As I said, just offering another option. Not endorsing it at this time.

How about you Sir? Is the JP product one you have tried?

Magic_Salad0892
10-02-12, 02:33
**** it. VLTOR A5 for everything.

WS6
12-14-12, 10:33
Standard carbine spring and H buffer. You could use an H2 depending on the ammo.

Standard rifle spring and rifle buffer. You want to avoid very low power ammo.

Just re-capping on this. If you have a Noveske barrel, ^^^ This guy is the guy who knows exactly what that gas port is tuned for. I would listen very closely.

Noveske rifles are very expensive. Sprinco springs are very cheap. If a cheap spring made their rifle better, Noveske would have used one cheap spring instead of the other. Do you really think on a $2500 rifle they are going to throw in a $4 spring instead of a $14 spring just to save $10, if that $14 spring would make their rifle a better product? I don't. The crew at Noveske is as OCD as I am.

1911-A1
12-14-12, 10:40

I love my A5 on my 16" middy. How are they on 14.5s?

SkiDevil
12-14-12, 10:47
I have an Noveske Afghan and use a Colt standard carbine spring with an H buffer in my rifle.

I have not experienced any problems firing standard type commercial loads in both 5.56 and .223 remington.

cop1211
12-14-12, 19:33
I love my A5 on my 16" middy. How are they on 14.5s?

Mine has done just fine.

Blowby
12-14-12, 20:19
My Noveske 14.5 middy runs a standard spring and an H buffer. Only failed to lock on last round on the first mag when I built the AR. Found a small splatter on the back side of the bolt catch that was causing the catch to drag on the lower and not move into position to lock the bolt fast enough. Must have been during manufacturing because the mini BB was coated. Knocked it off and hit it with a polishing stone and all is good 1600 rounds since with no issues.

jaxman7
12-14-12, 22:04

2 thumbs up!

-Jax

Blowby
12-18-12, 16:42
Feedback: Went out last Sunday and upped the H to an H2 with the same standard spring on the Noveske Afghan 14.5 middy. Lock back on last round and a softer shooter, all is good.