PDA

View Full Version : gen 4 glocks shoot high

trinydex
09-29-12, 03:14
i have been hearing some rumblings about this...

i have a gen 4 g17 and a gen 4 g22. both shoot high at 25 yards. frankly i'm a bit miffed about it, i don't even know which front sight post to get to remedy the issue.

ClearedHot
09-29-12, 03:57
I'm assuming you have the stock sights still? My 4th Gen G19 shoots POA out of the box.

Use a vice/bench rest and test at 25 yards. Or let an experienced shooter try shooting both pistols and see if the results are the same.

Failure2Stop
09-29-12, 04:19
With what sights and ammo?

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

Voodoo_Man
09-29-12, 04:41

also interested.

I have, 4 gen4 glocks in two different calibers and none of them shoot high.

C4IGrant
09-29-12, 05:37
Somewhat normal IMHO. You will need to change out your sights.

C4

ST911
09-29-12, 10:35
Not observed to any meaningful extent, mostly in 40s but a sampling of 9mms as well.

Quantify "high"?

darwing31
09-29-12, 10:37
i have been hearing some rumblings about this...

i have a gen 4 g17 and a gen 4 g22. both shoot high at 25 yards. frankly i'm a bit miffed about it, i don't even know which front sight post to get to remedy the issue.

My g4 g19, g23, and g32 all seem to shoot POA POI.

If you are using factory glock sights, you change the rear sight to raise or lower your POI.

trinydex
09-29-12, 11:08

Federal hst 180 grain .40

Winchester ranger 147 grain 9mm
Speed gold dot 124 grain 9mm

The impacts are approximately 6 inches higher than point of aim. Groupings are typical at 25, approximately 6 inches in diameter.

I can put the same groups together poa poi at 25 with my gen 3 g17.
The gen 3 g26 I have also does not shoot high. However the groups at 25 are larger with the g26.

The gen 3 g26 has installed trijicon night sights
The gen 4 g17 has stock trijicon night sights.
The gen 4 g22 has installed meprolights
The gen 3 g17 has installed meprolights

I saw ssdsurf post his gen 4 g21 vid up and he had high impacts at 25 and beyond too.

I read elsewhere that glocks can have up to a 6 inch poi poa difference at 25 and beyond, what I'd like to find out is which pairing of front sight with which rear sight correlates to how much poi shift

oldtexan
09-29-12, 13:39
..... what I'd like to find out is which pairing of front sight with which rear sight correlates to how much poi shift

This might help answer your questions.

http://www.ameriglo.net/sights/calculator

JHC
09-29-12, 15:52
Of our 8 Gen 4 9mm's, three shot very high with factory sights or standard Warren sets with .215 tall front sights. Either the .245 tall Warren front or .250 10-8 front sight got them dialed in satisactorily for me at 25 yards.

When a particular Gen 4 does have this impact high characteristic, it's WAY high.

Surf
09-29-12, 21:47
I almost never have the basic Glock sights on the weapon for very long and none of my Gen4's seem to have an issue with aftermarket varieties. However as you noted in my video on my Gen4 21, it went straight from the shop to the range with the basic Glock sights. Indeed this particular pistol (only a sample of 1 pistol) shot approx 1"-1.5" high @ 7 yards. As seen in the video as distances increased offset became more of an issue. My Gen4 21 shoots very nice groups and the windage is dead on from the factory, just the elevation issue, which is no big deal as new sights should clean that up.

This is the referenced video if anyone is curious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wG3Pg6FZd0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wG3Pg6FZd0)

30 cal slut
09-29-12, 22:06
Of our 8 Gen 4 9mm's, three shot very high with factory sights or standard Warren sets with .215 tall front sights. Either the .245 tall Warren front or .250 10-8 front sight got them dialed in satisactorily for me at 25 yards.

When a particular Gen 4 does have this impact high characteristic, it's WAY high.

Gosh darnit :mad:

I just installed some Warren .215's on a Gen 4 Glock 17 and found it to shoot an inch high vs. point of aim at 10 feet. The .215 Warrens are on all of my Gen 3 Glock 17's. This was with WWB 9 ball (115 gr).

:rolleyes:

trinydex
10-01-12, 20:53
This might help answer your questions.

http://www.ameriglo.net/sights/calculator

thank you for this.

according to the ameriglo calculator 6" at 75' (25 yards) of poi poa difference equates to .043" front post height difference.

since i'm shooting high i will need to increase my front sight size by .043".

trijicon factory front sight for glock is .150" tall according to brownells.

meprolight factory front sight for glock is .170" tall according to brownells.

hope this helps people out.

trinydex
10-01-12, 20:54
I almost never have the basic Glock sights on the weapon for very long and none of my Gen4's seem to have an issue with aftermarket varieties. However as you noted in my video on my Gen4 21, it went straight from the shop to the range with the basic Glock sights. Indeed this particular pistol (only a sample of 1 pistol) shot approx 1"-1.5" high @ 7 yards. As seen in the video as distances increased offset became more of an issue. My Gen4 21 shoots very nice groups and the windage is dead on from the factory, just the elevation issue, which is no big deal as new sights should clean that up.

This is the referenced video if anyone is curious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wG3Pg6FZd0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wG3Pg6FZd0)

please do report back after the installed sights. i was hoping my installed meprolights would sort out any potential issue with poi poa difference, but it wasn't the case. now i have to shop for a front post.

trinydex
01-20-13, 01:45
i bought two front posts for my gen4 Glocks

they were both purchased from ameriglo. i don't know why i brain farted and purchased the same height for both guns. i got the .220 height for both guns when the heights for meprolight and trijicon are different.

what arrived was two h3 trijicon front posts. these posts are thinner than the meprolight posts.

the g22 is now spot on.

the g17 is about 2" low, which im OK with.

i also discovered that factory trijicon sights on a Glock are pressed in. not the normal screw in type.

if i had to do it again i would get the .200 height for the g17 with factory installed trijicon sights. but 2" at 25 is not bad enough for me to order another front post.