PDA

View Full Version : new upper receiver...FA or no FA

peabody
09-29-12, 06:35
thinking of getting a new upper receiver...fulton armory has a nice slickside..

and looking back over the years....i cannot ever remember using the FA on any of my ARs ....

does anyone ever use the FA ?

Kissel
09-29-12, 06:52
Sound practice says eject the round and carry on.

High Tower
09-29-12, 07:51
The only time I ever really used it was overseas. Our platoon sgt made us check to make sure a round was chambered before going out. He then wanted us to hit the forward assist to make sure the bolt was forward. Not saying that is the only way, but it was his way so we did it.

Norman
09-29-12, 09:23
For anything you would need the forward assist for, you can use the dished out area on the side of the carrier and push it forward with your thumb. That said, I like having them.
YMMV

Merle
09-29-12, 09:51
Rainer Arms also sells an upper without the fa.

MistWolf
09-29-12, 10:26
Some good threads discussing the FA. Hope this helps
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=49182
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=88841
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92951
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=134
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=78975

RyanB
09-29-12, 12:47
I prefer not to have it.

Stickman
09-29-12, 14:27

does anyone ever use the FA ?

Yes, on an almost daily basis.

Stickman
09-29-12, 14:30
For anything you would need the forward assist for, you can use the dished out area on the side of the carrier and push it forward with your thumb. That said, I like having them.
YMMV

That always sounds good, until it is in the middle of the night, its 35 degrees and in a heavy rain and wind, and you can't feel your numb fingers anymore.

d90king
09-29-12, 15:01
Yes, I would go with an upper with FA.

RyanB
09-29-12, 15:20
Yes, on an almost daily basis.

How often do you NEED it though?

DeltaSierra
09-29-12, 15:23

Often enough that it is a bad idea to be without it.

If anyone could explain to me why they don't like it, I might understand, but I have yet to hear ONE good reason why intentionally choosing to go without a forward assist is a good idea...

RyanB
09-29-12, 15:41
2 ounces, seven parts, two springs, and if the pin fails (1/250,000 chance)?the gun stops cold. The only thing it can fix is when an underlined weapon with dust in it cycles too slowly to close. Otherwise it's used administratively.

The Change Order to add the FA to the M16 was pushing 10% of the rifles cost IIRC.

peabody
09-29-12, 21:21
Often enough that it is a bad idea to be without it.

If anyone could explain to me why they don't like it, I might understand, but I have yet to hear ONE good reason why intentionally choosing to go without a forward assist is a good idea...

hummmm...??
for what it's worth...im building a k.i.s.s. carbine.
the feel ..and the look ?
is one reason im going without the FA.
i love my retro clone 604...
and my old sp~1
and waayyy back in the day.. its what uncle told me to carry.
i do have several other ARs with the FA...

Casull
09-30-12, 00:04
Cold, wet, slippery, gloved, stressed (fingers can become stiff), or just when some insurance is is needed. That's why I like the forward assist.

However, a point I always make is if you have the need to chamber a round slowly and wanna make sure it's good to go.

Other than that, I understand why some folks don't care for one. Lefties may benefit from not having it get in their way with an ambi charging handle during three-gun... although it's not that bad anyway.

My experience is with both SP-1 and AR's with the assist. I've hunted with both.

Stickman
09-30-12, 02:50

I already posted the answer to your question.

everyusernametaken
09-30-12, 03:50
However, a point I always make is if you have the need to chamber a round slowly and wanna make sure it's good to go.

This is a very good practical reason to have a forward-assist available. If I want to quietly chamber a round, not allowing the bolt carrier group to slam shut is critical to accomplishing that. I want to be damn sure it's locked and ready to fire, without needing to fumble with the ejection port cover-opening recess on the carrier, or any other tasks which would distract me from what I need to be focused on. The FA is the best solution for this application.

ccosby
09-30-12, 09:56
I've used it for hunting. Use the charging handle to ride the bolt forward instead of letting it spring forward and use the forward assist to make sure it is fully forward.

I don't use my ar as a fighting gun so if I have a problem I can stop to figure out why. I do see where it could be a good thing to have though.

TomBowie
09-30-12, 10:01
I gently press mine with my thumb after performing a press check. Normally don't need it, but sometimes it nudges the bolt forward into battery. It is nice to have for my purposes.

TomBowie
09-30-12, 10:02
Double post.

Tzook
09-30-12, 21:26
Stick knows what he's talking about. Listen.

Reagans Rascals
09-30-12, 22:00
isn't it an actual taught step in SPORTS.....

yeah I know, I know recent technological advances like the BAD lever and integrated mag button/bolt hold lowers have all but eliminated SPORTS but... its still taught today and was implemented for a reason...

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t403/jwmassaro/Untitled_zpsb4ef8110.jpg

peabody
09-30-12, 22:04
as I've said......i do have other ARs with FA
this carbean will be a loaner / plinking / recreation ...
IDF clone wannabe...
am grateful for your thoughts.
peabody

Heavy Metal
09-30-12, 23:22
isn't it an actual taught step in SPORTS.....

yeah I know, I know recent technological advances like the BAD lever and integrated mag button/bolt hold lowers have all but eliminated SPORTS but... its still taught today and was implemented for a reason...

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t403/jwmassaro/Untitled_zpsb4ef8110.jpg

It's taught simply because it was taught in the past. Burearcratic Inertia. It was an early attempt to dumb the whole process down to the lowest common demoninator.

No, more updated TTP's highlighting T(p-p)RB and the Rip Drill replaced SPORTS. Neither of those use the FA which only really works worth a crap in an Administrative use.

SPORTS is both a piss-poor substiture for Immediate Action and true Remedial Action, it is a half-assed attempt to be all things.

BufordTJustice
09-30-12, 23:40
That always sounds good, until it is in the middle of the night, its 35 degrees and in a heavy rain and wind, and you can't feel your numb fingers anymore.

Or it's 90 degrees at night with 80% humidity and some light rain and your sweaty, dirty, wet finger doesn't seem to have the traction that it normally does in that area. Not to mention that you now have a thumb coated with slip 2000, which promptly get deposited on your safety lever. Voices of experience here.

Stick and I work opposite corners of the country, but the FA is employed more than one might think.

I have some supervisors who want to see brass in the chamber without you dropping the mag. I can't exactly tell them "no" before we make contact.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Epic 4G Touch