PDA

View Full Version : Permanently Affixed Suppressors

MistWolf
09-29-12, 11:02
I know permanently affixed suppressors are considered a bad idea. However, the state of Washington does not allow the ownership of SBRs. Because of the no SBR law, some are cutting their barrels short then bringing back to legal length by permanently attaching the suppressor to keep the overall length short. Is this a viable solution for a carbine intended for serious use? Would it hold up in a training class? What is the downside to permanently affixing the suppressor? Or is it better to keep the suppressor removable and just deal with the extra length?

Thanks. I know very little about suppressors

steyrman13
09-29-12, 12:17
I have considered doing the same thing. Any comments would be nice

RyanB
09-29-12, 12:46
I've done this. Wait for the AAC Ranger 3 and attach it to an MRP. Don't open the port, use a cut down 14.5" barrel and a heavy buffer.

justlikeanyoneelse
09-30-12, 00:28
Personally know one person who did this, he did not have to he just wanted it permanent. Attached BCM 12.5 inch upper to a AAC M4-2000.
He has not had any major problems, the rifle works. We shoot close to 1000-2000 rds each a month...lacking i know. I have never seen or heard him complaining about anything other than cleaning it and occasionally getting burned. From my experience if you chose to do this there are some things,

1- Suppressors are VERY dirty, we clean our rifles after every range session. Hope you enjoy cleaning.

2- Suppressors create a lot of blowback, esp. with a DI. Therefore I am sure your internal parts suffer reduced life.

3- Carbon build up within the suppressor. At about a 1000 rounds of M193 I clean a hefty amount of carbon out of my suppressor. I imagine with a perm attached suppressor, carbon buildup will eventually reduce suppressor performance faster than normal wear.

*I bring these specific ideas to mind because this is a combination of a suppressor and an SBR, not a 16 inch.

There are more but I can not think of anything else right now, I am sure another member will chime in. Sorry Washington does not allow SBRs, hopefully one day that will change.

Hope it helps

RyanB
09-30-12, 01:07
You can save about a half a pound using a thread on. And to do it right, cut down a longer barrel to have a small port and use a heavy buffer. Mine is about a 10.6" barrel with a standard 6920 port and a 3 buffer. It's not much dirtier than an unsuppressed rifle. I fired 500 rounds, added lube, fired 200 more and then cleaned it. No malfunctions. I suspect I could have done 2k or more between cleanings and added lube once. The AAC can has a lot more backpressure than I'm used to with my Surefire.

Iraqgunz
09-30-12, 01:09
This topic has been discussed before and I'll rehash the thoughts I had then. For the record my 12.5 upper has about 7500 rounds through it and the 11.5 has about 10K.

I have used the suppressor about 65% of that time. Since I only wipe my weapon down and re-lube heavily carbon fouling myths haven't been an issue.

1. Cleaning of the barrel is going to be a PITA and you will be pushing shiut down into your can unless you clean from the muzzle end, which I wouldn't recommend.

2. If you have a baffle strike and the can needs servicing say good bye to your barrel because it will probably be damaged during removal.

3. If you have to do any service to your barrel again have fun.

4. No one really needs an SBR. Not trying to say they shouldn't have them just that you can compromise. They are cool and if you can live in a state where they are allowed it's great. Otherwise I recommend getting a 14.5", pinning the mount into place and using a small can from Surefire or AAC.

MistWolf
09-30-12, 01:42
Thanks for the replies, guys. As I said, I know little about suppressors. What I thought I knew I'm finding out I didn't know at all.

IG, what you say makes sense. I could always go with a 14.5 upper or a threaded muzzle on a 16 upper first, and do the SBR later if I move to another state or the laws here change

everyusernametaken
09-30-12, 03:22
I've always liked the idea of a full-time, but not permanently-attached suppressor. Having the gas and physical systems calibrated to function optimally, without concern for compromises to enable it to also run unsuppressed, it could be made completely reliable without any need for tinkering in the field. Not needing to worry about running both supersonic and subsonic ammo, and their varying effects on gas system operation, is a nice "feature" of 5.56 and similar high-velocity/low-mass rounds for which subsonic variants generally aren't feasible.

Considering all of that, a full-time threaded-mount suppressor would be my choice of strategy. If you get the setup to work perfectly per your expectations, permanently attaching the suppressor might work out fine for you in the long run, but only if you never have any incidents like a serious baffle strike. As IG pointed out, if that happened, you would be facing a difficult situation. If the suppressor ever needed repair or replacement by the manufacturer, I don't know how they would respond to it being pinned/welded to a barrel.

I say a threaded-mount can is the best option in your situation, IMHO.

ccosby
09-30-12, 21:36
I can't speak from personal experience on this as I live in a state that doesn't care if you have an sbr but there is a third option.

https://dbmg-llc.3dcartstores.com/RBF-Really-Big-Flash-Hider-for-105-in-barrels-Parts-Only_p_14.html

You can buy these goofy flash hider type devices that you pin to the barrel to make it legal length and then thread the suppressor inside of it. Lets you remove the suppressor and use it on something else. You don't really get the full weight savings as an sbr but you do get the shorter length of an sbr with suppressor.

firepolock
09-30-12, 22:22
Tag for website info

Sent from my LG-P506 using Tapatalk 2

RyanB
09-30-12, 22:48
Since the Ranger 3 is made for pinning it is worth asking if they'll warranty it if it's pinned. And if they can record the can.

Koshinn
09-30-12, 23:57
Since the Ranger 3 is made for pinning it is worth asking if they'll warranty it if it's pinned. And if they can record the can.

They haven't started shipping ranger 3 cans yet afaik... May be a while yet

RyanB
10-01-12, 01:01
I know.

And autocorrect changed recore to record.

KTR03
10-01-12, 10:48
Hey Ryan,

I'm just down the road from you in Shoreline. If you want to see a good set up, PM me and we'll get together.

I had a left eject AR built for me using an LMT lower, a centurian 12.5 inch barrel and a range 2. The handguard is a BAR from Spikes. Don't love Spikes stuff, but the handguard is a good piece. Had it built by WCA in Factoria. Runs very well. Very accurate, and very reliable. Shot a 1000 round carbine course with it. Never a problem.

Cleaning it hasn't been much of an issue. The key is good components, correct gas ports and a well paired buffer.

Damien

Damien

KTR03
10-01-12, 10:52
I can't speak from personal experience on this as I live in a state that doesn't care if you have an sbr but there is a third option.

https://dbmg-llc.3dcartstores.com/RBF-Really-Big-Flash-Hider-for-105-in-barrels-Parts-Only_p_14.html

You can buy these goofy flash hider type devices that you pin to the barrel to make it legal length and then thread the suppressor inside of it. Lets you remove the suppressor and use it on something else. You don't really get the full weight savings as an sbr but you do get the shorter length of an sbr with suppressor.

I leave them a message once a week on their site, and one a week on vmail. Never hear back from them. This would be a great solution for a non dedicated system... if they're answer their mail.

ccosby
10-01-12, 11:31
I leave them a message once a week on their site, and one a week on vmail. Never hear back from them. This would be a great solution for a non dedicated system... if they're answer their mail.

That sucks. I want to say I got that companies name as people on TOS had them modify barrels for the lmt rifles. I've seen another vendor making pretty much the same thing but I can't remember who it was. Never bothered to really look into it as I can have sbr's in my state. I can see this being a useful inbetween for others though.

travclem
10-02-12, 10:38
Why not permanently attach a shroud that the suppressor goes in so it's still removable?