PDA

View Full Version : Gas Block/Front Sight Recommendations - M&P15 Sport

JasonZBell
09-29-12, 16:41
Hey All,

I have been searching recently for a suitable gas block setup and front sight replacement, but I am not sure of the ideal route to go. This is where I am hoping for recommendations from others on here who may have done the same on their M&P15's or other similar AR's.

To be honest, I kind of like the standard A2 post, but I decided I want the ability to have a folding front sight post. While searching online, I found this product from A.R.M.S. Inc. and it is almost entirely what I am looking for.

http://www.armsmounts.com/default.asp?mode=products&sub=sights&id=[hsh]41-B-L

Can anyone tell me what route they went and why they went that route with their setups? This would be very helpful to me since I am not sure which of the many setups to choose, so I am relying on the expertise of others on this forum.

Here is the rifle it will be going on...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7wBnK0Iy-NE/UElycjqCDwI/AAAAAAAAOh0/xMFDMvV5iUE/s850/ARDD1.jpeg

Thanks all!
Jason

a0cake
09-30-12, 12:41
Shave down the FSB, get a longer rail to cover it, throw a front MBUS on the end of said rail, and do something about the shmashmortion on your 6 o'clock rail.

PS. No disrespect intended, but if you think that VFG / Bipod / 7'' rail setup you have going on is a good idea, then a training class should probably be higher on your priorities list than more gadgets. The picture alone is a strong indication that training is the weak link in the equation.

500grains
10-01-12, 10:09
I think the sight you have is the most desirable, so I would leave it alone.

hambeast
10-29-12, 17:15
Your sport has a dust cover and forward assist?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Magic_Salad0892
10-30-12, 01:46
I would recommend you ditch the bipod, and stick with what you have.

Well... A real rail would probably do some good too.

JasonZBell
10-30-12, 02:43
Your sport has a dust cover and forward assist?

I actually bought a Rainer Arms upper to swap out the Sport upper because I have a friend who wanted the Sport upper for a budget build. Between the hydrographic work on the Rainer upper and the rest of the rifle, I could not pass it up.

JasonZBell
10-30-12, 02:49
I would recommend you ditch the bipod, and stick with what you have.

Well... A real rail would probably do some good too.

I genuinely appreciate the advice! I am far from an expert with AR's or firearms in general and the bipod is simply in the picture because it is an accessory I have handy. At the range, I pretty much never use it, but for the picture, I wanted to include everything. I am not sure what you mean by a "real rail", but I am perfectly happy with this one for the time being. Each part on here was bought or traded for, so aside from the optic, I ended up spending less for the build and desert digital camo than I originally did for stock Sport setup. I'm surely not going to complain about that and I have happy with how the rifle turned out for me. It's great fun to shoot and with my new Magpul STR, the YHM front and rear irons and the Magpul AFG2, I am trying to improve my basic marksmen skills and become proficient the irons before I move back up to an optic.

Thank you very much for the opinions though. I do appreciate them.

Jason

Magic_Salad0892
10-30-12, 09:24
I genuinely appreciate the advice! I am far from an expert with AR's or firearms in general and the bipod is simply in the picture because it is an accessory I have handy. At the range, I pretty much never use it, but for the picture, I wanted to include everything. I am not sure what you mean by a "real rail", but I am perfectly happy with this one for the time being. Each part on here was bought or traded for, so aside from the optic, I ended up spending less for the build and desert digital camo than I originally did for stock Sport setup. I'm surely not going to complain about that and I have happy with how the rifle turned out for me. It's great fun to shoot and with my new Magpul STR, the YHM front and rear irons and the Magpul AFG2, I am trying to improve my basic marksmen skills and become proficient the irons before I move back up to an optic.

Jason

By "real rail" I meant one that was free float, and made by a reputable MFG. But if you're happy with it, and it's reliable, I guess there isn't much more that I can offer.

I'd recommend a Colt BCG as well, as I consider the BCG to be possibly the most important part of the rifle, as well as the barrel. The BCG is generally cheaper, and easier to swap out, and it's also more likely to prevent malfunction, whereas a barrel replacement wont stop an extractor from going dead, or something.

I'd probably also shove a heavier (H2) buffer in there, as I've heard that S&W guns are overgassed. (Source: Grant.)

ASH556
10-30-12, 10:18

Jason

/thread

Jason, with this post you've made it clear that you're perfectly happy with your setup and that showing off gadgets and accessories is more important to you than having a rifle that functions well for any given role. If you want to improve your rifle's functionality, you need to get off your "it looks cool" high horse and listen to folks with experience. A0cake has told you how to do what you asked.

hambeast
10-30-12, 10:39
/thread

Jason, with this post you've made it clear that you're perfectly happy with your setup and that showing off gadgets and accessories is more important to you than having a rifle that functions well for any given role. If you want to improve your rifle's functionality, you need to get off your "it looks cool" high horse and listen to folks with experience. A0cake has told you how to do what you asked.

This. If you want a folding front sight, either cut down your fsb (Google it) or get a low profile gas block. After you do this, you can get a longer rail, possibly free floated if you like and stick a folding front sight on there.

You can also buy a gas block that has a rail on it for attaching a sight on it so you can keep your current rail.

Edit: here's a folding sight gas block

http://www.riflegear.com/p-333-yankee-hill-machine-front-flip-sight-tower.aspx

And here's a railed gas block
http://www.riflegear.com/p-441-stag-arms-railed-gas-block.aspx