PDA

View Full Version : Glock 22 vs. Coyote: Mr. Yote takes a dirt nap

Doc Safari
09-29-12, 20:27
I've been outside on the ranch. It's a nice fall evening: not too cold not too hot.

I had been sucking down a few brewskis while leaning up against an old piece of farm machinery. I wasn't drunk, but probably had reached the "don't operate heavy machinery stage."

Along comes Wile E. Coyote about 15 yards from me, on the other side of my 4-wire fence. Pretty animal.

Didn't want to shoot it.

I yelled at him a couple of times. At first he moved on, then he kept turning back to look at me. About the third time I yelled at him, he turned and gave me that distinctive "**** you" look that only a predator can give.

Uh oh.

I had previously started a thread on this forum about how coyotes might be losing their fear of humans, either due to breeding with Mexican wolves or something else. The thought flashed through my mind: I'm a 260-pound 40+ dude loaded down with gear and not afraid of much.

If that 'yote ain't afraid of me--it might be brave enough to hurt a child or something. Regardless: people have complained of losing livestock in this area, so I went into action.

With the sun just going down, I followed the dog along the fence line as he nonchalantly maintained a parallel course. Slowly I crept up on him again while inserting my earplugs in my ears.

The damn thing stared at me again. Even as I'm chambering a round in my 4th Gen Glock 22, the damn dog isn't taking his eyes off me.

If not for the fence and the fact that it's a coyote and not a wolf I'd be a little bit more concerned.

I lined up the sights and put a 180-grain Federal Hi-Shok just above his shoulder.

I'm sorry to say he suffered a bit, back legs twitching and head bobbing, but I got him.

Sleep tight, Mr. Yote.

Nightvisionary
10-01-12, 02:21
Check this coyote out. He does several Banzai charges then tries to eat the camera man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqVE9qfg7yI

jared91
10-01-12, 08:27
Check this coyote out. He does several Banzai charges then tries to eat the camera man.

Despite the situation, there is something about a canuc yelling at a yote that is extremely funny to me.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

R.P.
10-01-12, 09:00

That dog should have been killed. It obviously has no fear of a grown man, just imagine if it saw a small child.

R.P.
10-01-12, 09:06
I've been outside on the ranch. It's a nice fall evening: not too cold not too hot.

I had been sucking down a few brewskis while leaning up against an old piece of farm machinery. I wasn't drunk, but probably had reached the "don't operate heavy machinery stage."

Along comes Wile E. Coyote about 15 yards from me, on the other side of my 4-wire fence. Pretty animal.

Didn't want to shoot it.

I yelled at him a couple of times. At first he moved on, then he kept turning back to look at me. About the third time I yelled at him, he turned and gave me that distinctive "**** you" look that only a predator can give.

Uh oh.

I had previously started a thread on this forum about how coyotes might be losing their fear of humans, either due to breeding with Mexican wolves or something else. The thought flashed through my mind: I'm a 260-pound 40+ dude loaded down with gear and not afraid of much.

If that 'yote ain't afraid of me--it might be brave enough to hurt a child or something. Regardless: people have complained of losing livestock in this area, so I went into action.

With the sun just going down, I followed the dog along the fence line as he nonchalantly maintained a parallel course. Slowly I crept up on him again while inserting my earplugs in my ears.

The damn thing stared at me again. Even as I'm chambering a round in my 4th Gen Glock 22, the damn dog isn't taking his eyes off me.

If not for the fence and the fact that it's a coyote and not a wolf I'd be a little bit more concerned.

I lined up the sights and put a 180-grain Federal Hi-Shok just above his shoulder.

I'm sorry to say he suffered a bit, back legs twitching and head bobbing, but I got him.

Sleep tight, Mr. Yote.

Good job! Coyote populations are increasing in my area and they are definitely having a negative impact on the deer population. I plan on shooting any and all that I have an opportunity to.

RMiller
10-01-12, 09:21

I wouldn't have messed with the animal. First time it charged it would have had a bullet in it.

Littlelebowski
10-01-12, 09:27
Why were you not carrying in Condition One?

Doc Safari
10-01-12, 09:38
Why were you not carrying in Condition One?

Partly for safety reasons: I knew I was going to have a few beers and having a "cold" pistol is an extra safety measure. The other thing is during the summer I may have to switch to snake shot in a flash and not having to unchamber a hollowpoint before loading the snakeshot round removes one extra step. It's not quite cold enough yet to be 100% confident the snakes are asleep.

Littlelebowski
10-01-12, 10:09
Partly for safety reasons: I knew I was going to have a few beers and having a "cold" pistol is an extra safety measure. The other thing is during the summer I may have to switch to snake shot in a flash and not having to unchamber a hollowpoint before loading the snakeshot round removes one extra step. It's not quite cold enough yet to be 100% confident the snakes are asleep.

Makes perfect sense to me.

nineteenkilo
10-01-12, 14:31
Sleep tight, Mr. Yote.

Indeed. I know the look you received quite well. It always ends the same.

Doc Safari
10-01-12, 14:45
I told the story in town the day after it happened.

One person piped up, "They're hungry and they don't care. That's why they're not afraid."

Another person joked, "Yeah, why didn't you feed him?" (laughs)

I replied, "I did. I fed him a copper-jacketed lead vitamin."

Anyway, the buzzards ate well.

BH321
10-21-12, 15:59

At first I thought the critter might be playing with him (my neighbor's dog does a similar thing) but the more I watched that video the more I realized that, that critter was not playing so much as testing the camera man. I am honestly surprised it didn't try to take a bite out of his hand (or attack him when he turned his back). However I will say that I have a feeling that something like that is how we first started domesticating canids; them approaching us and us offering them food and shelter over many generations of careful breeding. In any case, that animal behaving that way around human will not end well for either the coyote or the people it meets.

ccoker
10-31-12, 11:23
yep, I always carry a 1911 with a 255g +p hardcast chambered as there are coyotes, big hogs and reportedly mountain lions on our hunting property. While I think the chance of being attacked is about a billion to one, I still carry out there for the same reason I carry elsewhere. "just in case"

OnPoint
10-31-12, 12:02
Looks like someone has probably fed that coyote before and he's now looking for handouts.

BCmJUnKie
10-31-12, 12:16

Thats pretty crazy. It looked like he was playin??

Dogs are pretty playful, I guess it wouldnt really exclude Coyotes,

I dont have alot of experience with them though

jmnielsen
10-31-12, 15:07
That's definitely an interesting video. I've been around coyotes a lot, and the only time I've ever seen one like that is when it is injured. For instance, my buddy shot one in the ass and rolled it. It just laid there so he walked out to it to find it was still alive, and it started growling and pulling itself towards him on only it's two front legs. We took care of that quickly, but I think it is very odd for a perfectly fine coyote to act like that. Unless it was diseased or provoked to where it felt it had no option but to fight.

FlyingHunter
11-03-12, 15:28
Behavior consistent with rabies infected coyote...not smart to toy with as the rabies shots you will need after a bite are no fun...

Atchcraft
11-03-12, 16:07
We have a lot of coyotes in my new neighborhood. We have a lot of deer, wild turkey and a few elk in the area and listen to them killing something every night. Good news is, you don't see many cats roaming around. The bad news is I can't let my dogs out unsupervised. It's only a matter of time before I end up shooting one, which I'm sure is going to make my neighbors shit.

PA PATRIOT
11-12-12, 20:22
I do a lot of Yote hunting in Maine and have seen them do some crazy stuff over the years. I always like to pit hunt were I had a camo tree stand about 25yds over a butcher shop dump pit.

It was like ringing the dinner bell when I pulled up and opened and closed my tail gate of the truck then got into the stand. The Yotes hearing the noise would think the butcher just dropped off a fresh pile of bones and guts and would just run in.

I could shoot all day long and it never seemed like I even put a dent in their numbers.

Any how back on subject I had a few Yotes display this same behavior with "Nipping" but they never flat out charged or tried to bite. It seemed like they were playing but with any wild animal its nothing to play a round with. The behavior also would draw in other yotes hearing the yips of the nipping yote and once I spotted another Yote coming in I always took out the nipper as I didn't want to have to deal with two of them.

My friend in Maine said he saw this behavior once with a single Yote and a deer on a frozen lake. The Yote was doing the nipping and calling basically trying to contain the deer until a few more showed up to take the deer down.

I have to wonder if that was what the nipping yotes had in mind with me and since I have personally seen the yipes of the nipping yotes draw in other yotes.

Maybe the yotes were tried of eating scraps and wanted something fresh.