PDA

View Full Version : help me decide. complete upper

pah
09-29-12, 22:09
I recently purchased a complete cmmg lower. I'm still really new to the AR world so please bare with me. I have my sights set on a Daniel defense v2 or v3 (can't decide) but aside from that I really want to get this thing put together now so I can go to the range. Now I see complete uppers for sale around 500-600 shipped. Is there a good recommendation for one or should I hold about another month and get what I really want?

I really like the DD model cause of its rail and pistol grip style handle but I'm clueless when they start talking about gas tubes and what not. I have yet to read a bad review on a DD model so any recommendations are appreciated.

I'm open to all suggestions

Stickman
09-29-12, 22:10
Really? No other information at all provided?

pah
09-29-12, 22:26
Really? No other information at all provided?

I'm sorry. What information would you like me to provide?

Dan46n2
09-29-12, 23:34
Pick what you want and what suits you, DD is GTG.

uncle money bags
09-29-12, 23:52
I'm sorry. What information would you like me to provide?
It seems like we have this thread once a week.
So this is my turn to ask THE question.

What is your intended purpose for this rifle?
Your answer to that question will help us help you. In the meantime please take advantage of the stickies as they will teach you all about this wonderful weapon system.

MistWolf
09-30-12, 01:33
We ask "What are you going to use the rifle for?" and the answer is going to be "Shooting at the range, some plinking, home defense, possibly training" and we're going to say "Get a 16" carbine, magazines, ammo and training". The answer we give beginners is always a 16" carbine. Even if the noobie just wants a good coyote slayer.

Let's cut pah some slack. I know it's not as much fun, but we know where this is headed. The original post is sparse even for Hemmingway but pah doesn't know what he doesn't know

pah, pick the DD you want and run it. I'm not sure if your looking at a complete DD rifle or just an upper. An upper would good but I think a complete DD rifle would be better. If you can't make up your mind what accessories you want, just get a basic carbine now and go shoot. You can always get accessories later

pah
09-30-12, 02:51
I guess I should've stated this earlier. The rifle will most likely be used at the range that's about it. I'm set on a 16" so 2 more questions. What is the difference between an m4 barrel and govt. profile barrel? Also another option is the twist ratio and should I opt for a chrome bolt carrier? I will be installing this on a cmmg lower.

straitR
09-30-12, 15:55
Start with these, then use the search feature a little bit.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

Seriously, everything you could ever want to know can be found here with just some time and effort. This place is a wealth of knowledge, but unlike some other boards, members here do not enjoy repeating the same info just for the sake of talking about guns.

To keep the peace, feel free to PM me with questions, but you need to do your part and take some time to read the threads in the above link.

Good luck

09-30-12, 16:33
Dude like many others have said here before "buy once, cry once"!! Wait and get what you really want! But like ST says use the search function to save yourself some grief!

500grains
09-30-12, 21:13
I really like the DD model cause

DD is great stuff, combat quality and accurate in my experience. But it and be happy.

Or if you want something slightly more economical, you can get a Colt 6920 for 1100 from numerous places including some Wal Marts.

CMMG is second rate, but the lower is far less critical than the upper.

Iraqgunz
10-01-12, 01:19
Joined in Sep 2012 and you have 6 posts. No way have you used the search feature or used any of the stickies that some of us here spent a long time putting together to help people out.

Do some homework and then come back and talk to us.