PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a suppressor

white spaniard
09-30-12, 11:01
Hi, I just purchased my first handgun suppressor a AAC Tirant what is the best way of cleaning it? Do you just run patches like your barrel?

baffle Stack
09-30-12, 12:28
If it's a take apart model buy the tool and take it apart to clean it. I run my baffles under running water and scrub it with a toothbrush, then air dry. If it's not a take apart model then don't worry about cleaning it. Sealed cans were not meant to be cleaned. Running a patch though it wont do a thing. If you must clean it, you could always pay someone to jailbreak it. Personal I would just shoot it and not worry about cleaning it. Maybe blow some compressed air though it on occasion.

99HMC4
09-30-12, 14:16
I knida of disagree, even if it's not a take apart tirant it still needs to be cleaned. I clean my 9pm suppressor about every 200-300 rounds and you would be really surprised at how dirty they get. Google suppressor cleaning, there's a few solutions you don't want your baffles in. They really do need to be scrubbed. And if the explosive burst from the round won't clean it, blowing compressed air through it deffinetly won't.....

kwesi
09-30-12, 15:49
I waiting on a Form 4: SWR Spectre II .22LR. SWR suggests cleaning in a sonic cleaner since the internals are stainless steel. I picked up a Honady Magnum Sonic and it works great on my bolt groups, carriers, etc.

99HMC4
09-30-12, 18:22
Baffles in the tirant are aluminum

white spaniard
09-30-12, 19:01
Ok thanks for info so far mine is the sealed one and cannot take apart. Someone suggested that I use warm water and run a baby bottle scrubber through it my only concern with doing this is will it rust on the inside.

M4Fundi
10-01-12, 01:53
Why don't you contact AAC and get back to us with their answer...;)

white spaniard
10-01-12, 05:53
Why don't you contact AAC and get back to us with their answer...;)

Yes I sent a email out on Friday, I will let you all know what they suggest.

Ming_the_Merciless
10-01-12, 08:24
Here's an video of what Mike Mers, from AAC recommends:

http://www.aacblog.com/how-do-i-clean-my-sealed-silencer/

There a large thread here on jail breaking the Ti-RANT, but the recent ones should be user serviceable.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60810&start=125

To jailbreak mine, I first boiled mine in water for an hour, but didn't budge. So I threw it in the oven at 350 for an hour, still didn't budge. And then finally let it soak overnight in WD40, and the next morning just popped right off, using hand pressure with the end cap take down tool in a vice.

No erosion on the stainless blast baffle, but the four subsequent black aluminum baffle stack shows some mild erosion. I still haven't seen much if any lead build up, but as expected, considerable carbon fouling. For a quick clean, I just use brush, hot water and soap, immediately followed by lube. For more detailed clean, I'll leave the baffles overnight in a seal jar of some solvent, Hoppes#9, or oderless mineral spirits, wipe then blow clean.

markm
10-01-12, 08:32
DO NOT run patches through the silencer. As the baffles get a little rough with use, they can snag the patch an then you're posting a thread on how to get chemicals and a stuck patch out of my can.

kwesi
10-01-12, 10:24
I have an older SWR Omega 9mm can that is not user serviceable. I contacted SWR & they said not to clean it except for the lubricating the piston ( not sure that's the right term ) that locks over the three lug barrel. They said it will get quieter over time but if it ever gets loud they offer replacement baffles at a reasonable price but that would take many thousands of rounds.

fixit69
10-01-12, 10:44
If you not putting thousands of rounds a year through it, I do not see the point in cleaning it. My 7.62 SD has quite at least 1500+ through it and has never been touched.

Now my sparrow is going to be cleaned more often because it is by nature nasty, dirty stuff. And if you reload with shitty powder you could have the same result. A nasty can quicker than you would expect. And like markm said, do not run a patch through it.

M4Fundi
10-01-12, 19:50
Here's an video of what Mike Mers, from AAC recommends:

http://www.aacblog.com/how-do-i-clean-my-sealed-silencer/

There a large thread here on jail breaking the Ti-RANT, but the recent ones should be user serviceable.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60810&start=125

To jailbreak mine, I first boiled mine in water for an hour, but didn't budge. So I threw it in the oven at 350 for an hour, still didn't budge. And then finally let it soak overnight in WD40, and the next morning just popped right off, using hand pressure with the end cap take down tool in a vice.

No erosion on the stainless blast baffle, but the four subsequent black aluminum baffle stack shows some mild erosion. I still haven't seen much if any lead build up, but as expected, considerable carbon fouling. For a quick clean, I just use brush, hot water and soap, immediately followed by lube. For more detailed clean, I'll leave the baffles overnight in a seal jar of some solvent, Hoppes#9, or oderless mineral spirits, wipe then blow clean.

Thanks Ming!