PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Heavy Compact Carry Pistols

antlad
09-30-12, 13:02
I would like some opinions on the merits & demerits of heavier handguns in a CCW application. I currently own a kahr k9 which is probably one of the heaviest compacts currently on the market. Since this gun does not get the notoriety as say their c,p,m series of polymer framed guns and similar brands ie. m&p, glock, etc. I would like some specific opinions from those of you that have a clue. Ignoring dimensional differences among different brands and focusing only on weight, what are the advantages of a heavier model handgun such as the k9?
It basically boils down to this. I'm trying to decide whether to invest the time, resources, training, ammo in the K9 or look into something more modern like the shield or a cm9. Like many of you I have small kids and an extremely busy lifestyle and tend to just want the most efficient tools for the job. My other handguns are a ruger 454 (for bears) and an HkUspc 40 LEM for which I am the most proficient with. I looking to fill the void for which is left by the Hk

F-Trooper05
09-30-12, 13:13
If you have a good belt and good holster, weight should have zero bearing on what you choose to carry. Just ask the 1911 guys. If you like the K9, roll with it. Personally I like something that holds a few more bullets.

antlad
09-30-12, 13:57
Another thing that sucks about the k9. Factory holster options.

The_War_Wagon
09-30-12, 14:07
Pocket carry. :cool:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/KimberUCII.jpg

I don't think in terms of "weight AS advantage;" I think of my .45 as, "up to the job," and then plan my pants and belt around it!

And when you're USED to it, you're USED to it.

oldtexan
09-30-12, 14:36
We have owned a K9 for a couple of years. My wife picked it out and we bought it as a carry gun for her. She has since moved on to a 9mm Walther PPS because she prefers its trigger and lighter weight.

This is my view after trying the K9 as a pants pocket gun for a few months. It is small enough to work from some pockets assuming the shooter trains to achieve a quick smooth drawstroke. The problem for me was the weight. Even in a FIST kydex pocket holster and with a good heavy 1.75" leather gun belt, I found the weight of the K9 to cause it to flop around much more than a PM9, S&W 642, S&W 649, or Walther PPS.

Then I considered this: If its weight and resulting movement made it unsat for me as a pocket gun, I considered it as an IWB gun. The K9 lost out here because I was(and am) perfectly happy carrying the more capable Glock 19 as my IWB gun.

So IMO the K9 is kind of an in-between gun, too heavy and maybe too big for pants pocket carry, and unnecessarily limited in capacity as an IWB gun.

Incidentally, I have gone to the 9mm Walther PPS as my weakside pocket carry gun, backing up my IWB G19.

Others will arrive at different conclusions, certainly. For someone who wants to carry on the beltline, and can't/won't abide guns with doublestack magazines, then maybe the K9 is a very good choice. Also maybe the K9 could be a good coat pocket gun(carried in a good pocket holster), as opposed to pants pockets.

It seems to me that your USP Compact 40 could be an excellent concealed belt (IWB or OWB) gun.

Hope this helps.

WillBrink
09-30-12, 14:40
I would like some opinions on the merits & demerits of heavier handguns in a CCW application. I currently own a kahr k9 which is probably one of the heaviest compacts currently on the market. Since this gun does not get the notoriety

It did when it came out and was a game changer.

as say their c,p,m series of polymer framed guns and similar brands ie. m&p, glock, etc. I would like some specific opinions from those of you that have a clue. Ignoring dimensional differences among different brands and focusing only on weight, what are the advantages of a heavier model handgun such as the k9?

Less recoil and faster follow up shots (all things being equal) and perhaps greater longevity.

It basically boils down to this. I'm trying to decide whether to invest the time, resources, training, ammo in the K9 or look into something more modern like the shield or a cm9. Like many of you I have small kids and an extremely busy lifestyle and tend to just want the most efficient tools for the job. My other handguns are a ruger 454 (for bears) and an HkUspc 40 LEM for which I am the most proficient with. I looking to fill the void for which is left by the Hk

I have had the MK9 and still have a K40. I like the weight and I like some weight to my handguns and prefer what I gain with more weight when shooting vs what I (may) gain in comfort CCW with less weight.

The polymer compacts and sub compacts can be quite snappy. Some value weight/comfort over other factors and tend to train less with them as they are not pleasant to shoot for prolonged periods. Less training/less range time = bad. :cool:

I see compact/sub compact CCW a function of need in a given situation (CCW option only allows for small sizes at that time for example) vs comfort/preference.

Having said all that, most seem very happy with their polymer Khar pistols in the uber small pistol category.

antlad
09-30-12, 14:52

I don't think in terms of "weight AS advantage;" I think of my .45 as, "up to the job," and then plan my pants and belt around it!

I'm the kind of guy that can get used to anything. If the only option was a high point and a ruger p series I'm confident I could adapt.

Lets say for example your Kimberly came with a polymer frame and you were to compare the two. Both were equally reliable. Now lets say you wanted to utilize muzzle striking as a possible defense mechanism (I think this is practical and realistic). Would the heavier pistol be an advantage?

Kokopelli
09-30-12, 15:18
Honestly.. It's like the man said.. It's all about a good gunbelt and holster.. Ron

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-30-12, 16:20
If you are sticking it out with an autoloader I say shoot the K9 until it breaks. The don Hume iwb clip is very comfortable. The Kahr k9 is one of the fastest guns around in terms of time to draw and fire. The PM9 is a little lighter but less enjoyable to shoot.

d90king
09-30-12, 17:08
If you are sticking it out with an autoloader I say shoot the K9 until it breaks. The don Hume iwb clip is very comfortable. The Kahr k9 is one of the fastest guns around in terms of time to draw and fire. The PM9 is a little lighter but less enjoyable to shoot.

Discuss please... Never heard of a pistol being categorized in that manner. What does the pistol have to do with your speed out of the holster and picking up your sights and target.

Thanks in advance.

loganp0916
09-30-12, 17:31

How has that Kimber treated you? How many rounds through it?

I know a little off topic, sorry.

Magic_Salad0892
09-30-12, 22:30
Good pistol. Roll with it.

Gerbilphooey
09-30-12, 22:49
[QUOTE=The_War_Wagon;1406611]Pocket carry. :cool:

What holster do you use to pocket carry? I have an ultra carry II that I would love to pocket carry with.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

montrala
10-01-12, 05:44
HkUspc 40 LEM for which I am the most proficient with.

Why not getting HK P2000SK 40 LEM then? Basically it is downsized and steamlined HK USPc. I actually have one in 9mm and it makes great CCW.

Arik
10-01-12, 07:53
Honestly.. It's like the man said.. It's all about a good gunbelt and holster.. Ron

^ that

I carry G19 and S&W 5946. DA, all steel 9mm with 15 +1. Weights about 40oz unloaded. Its all about the belt and holster

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

DocGKR
10-03-12, 01:54
I'd much rather have a lighter carry pistol than a heavier one--something like a G19 or M&P9c is ideal; don't want to go smaller or heavier.

Redbeardsong
10-03-12, 06:06
I think the only advantages to having a heavy gun is less felt recoil (which helps follow-up shots), and that it can be used to bludgeon, if needed. Extra weight is not what I want in a pocket gun.

OP, there are many great options in the current gun market that might suit you better than the K9, but it will do the job.

The_War_Wagon
10-03-12, 07:17
What holster do you use to pocket carry? I have an ultra carry II that I would love to pocket carry with.

I like this model at the moment - http://concealmentholsters.com/pgroup_descrip/67_1911+3+Inch/460_Tuck-N-Go+Inside+the+Pant+Holster/?return=%3ftpl%3Dindex%26category_id%3D67%26_1911%2B3%2BInch%2F - mainly because of the hook, for extra stability. Works better with DARK colors, obviously, for better OPSEC.

I use a simply Uncle Mikes (yeah, I KNOW...) pocket holster when I carry my J-frame sized Taurus 605, but it's lighter, smaller, and easier to draw that way. I've had the Tuck-N-Go for a little over a month, but now that it's getting cool, I won't get a chance to work with it much until next spring (I bought it for summer carry - my fall/winter/spring wardrobe is better suited to a CompTac OWB Gladiator & full-size 1911).

I've only put 150 rounds through it so far, as I was trying to sell it for the longest time, before deciding to keep it! When I actually pay attention to what I'm doing, I can keep 'em all inside the 8 ring at 25 yards (I was a much better pistol shot 10 years ago - I've been working MUCH more on rifle since then, and my pistol skills have seriously deteriorated... :o Need MORE practice!), which is acceptable for what is essentially a contact-distance, self-defense piece.

I intend to get in more range time this fall with both this, and my TLE/RL II, as I'd like to carry them more, but need more practice with each.

kwesi
10-03-12, 12:16
If you have a good belt and good holster, weight should have zero bearing on what you choose to carry. Just ask the 1911 guys. If you like the K9, roll with it. Personally I like something that holds a few more bullets.

+1. I'm 6'2" and weigh only 170 but I carry, subject to the shirt I'm wearing, a Rohrbaugh 9mm to Delta Elite 10 or G20.

maximus83
10-04-12, 11:04
I'd much rather have a lighter carry pistol than a heavier one--something like a G19 or M&P9c is ideal; don't want to go smaller or heavier.

I'm thinking about this too, based on carrying and training with a PM9 for several years (mainly when wearing light summer clothes or exercising), versus carrying my M&P9c (regular ccw). The 9c is nearly 0.5lb heavier and more than 0.25" thicker, but it's also easier to grip and control (PM9 is VERY snappy and this affects my follow-up shots). Also the 9c has a +5 rd capacity advantage, and it can take full-size 17rd M&P mags with a grip adapter. Really the ONLY advantage the PM9 has is size/weight, and that advantage is only for carrying comfort not for shooting. The Shield sounds like a solid pistol but is a halfway step between the PM9 and the M&P9c (at 19oz it's nearly as heavy as the 9c, and has only a +1 cap advantage vs PM9), so in my case it doesn't seem to offer a huge advantage.

The disadvantages of the PM9, plus the aspect of training with a different trigger and platform, are making me think about selling it. For guys who carry a "larger" compact (like the M&P9c/40c, G26/27, etc.) under light summer clothes or during PT, I'd be interested to hear the holster setup and how well this works.

A62Rambler
10-04-12, 13:49
If I might interject something from my limited experience, it would be that you are searching for something elusive. I carried a Glock 19 in LE on and off duty. I had no choice so I just dealt with it by dress and good holster/belt. There isn't a perfect choice in a carry weapon. It's all about compromise. More rounds and better shootability goes against lightweight and concealability. So you make the best choice for you and quit searching for the elusive light small high round shooter. Sounds like you are comfortable with the Kahr9 so just work around it and practice dressing and training with it. :D

Kokopelli
10-04-12, 13:55
I'm thinking about this too, based on carrying and training with a PM9 for several years (mainly when wearing light summer clothes or exercising), versus carrying my M&P9c (regular ccw). The 9c is nearly 0.5lb heavier and more than 0.25" thicker, but it's also easier to grip and control (PM9 is VERY snappy and this affects my follow-up shots). Also the 9c has a +5 rd capacity advantage, and it can take full-size 17rd M&P mags with a grip adapter. Really the ONLY advantage the PM9 has is size/weight, and that advantage is only for carrying comfort not for shooting. The Shield sounds like a solid pistol but is a halfway step between the PM9 and the M&P9c (at 19oz it's nearly as heavy as the 9c, and has only a +1 cap advantage vs PM9), so in my case it doesn't seem to offer a huge advantage.

The disadvantages of the PM9, plus the aspect of training with a different trigger and platform, are making me think about selling it. For guys who carry a "larger" compact (like the M&P9c/40c, G26/27, etc.) under light summer clothes or during PT, I'd be interested to hear the holster setup and how well this works.

The shield handles better than the PM9 (JMO) and the overall size is very close. I'm liking the shield a lot. I'm also trying out an XDs; much the same size as the shield.. Ron

Moltke
10-04-12, 13:58
Sounds like it's time for you to seek out other options if you're not content with the carry options you have.

DocGKR
10-04-12, 17:33
I bike to work every day,

Frequently hike, ruck, and backpack,

Horseback ride,

Ski,

Do sports like soccer,

All with a G19.

Use good gear, be imaginative, and it is not a problem.

Ned Christiansen
10-04-12, 19:22
The biggest advantage of the K9-- you already have it. Mine has been very good over the years. In a Sparks Executive companion it is no problem. Doesn't hold as much medicine as many but it's slenderer than some. I'd say get some ammo and get very well aquainted with it.

I had Ken Null make me an IWB double mag pouch for it, works quite well. I don't know if anyone makes such a beast yet.

skyugo
10-04-12, 20:32
heavy in the pocket i'm not big on, heavy on the belt is no big deal.

brushy bill
10-04-12, 21:50
I had a S&W 4056. It was small, but thick and very heavy. Limited capacity. Accurate, reliable, but so heavy and thick for what it was. Why bother?

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-05-12, 00:36
D90king,

I find that when using a timer the gun with the shortest muzzle is usually fastest to fire. The pm9 is light and short so it was always the fastest. The P7 was usually just as fast probably because it is so easy to get a grip on under stress. My Glock 26 was nearly as fast. Large heavy Da/SA autoloaders like the 220, beretta, etc are usually slowest for me.