View Full Version : Glock KCI Mags - Wait an actual use?

bubba04
09-30-12, 20:33
Whats yall's thoughts in grabbing a couple of these mags and use them strictly for range training, and some class work?

My thoughts are for twenty to thirty bucks one can have enough mags to use in a rotation to INCREASE the probability to having to clear weapon malfunctions.

What I was thinking Is to run a couple of these when shooting IPDA, range use and classes in an attempt to induce a weapon malfunction while under a "stress" situation.

I do use dummy rounds in my mags from time to time to practice this, however I find it works best when I have a buddy load my mags so I have a less of an idea when it happens.

samuse
09-30-12, 21:27
Sounds like a good idea, but from what I've heard, the mags work pretty good. I've never used one in live fire, but the only one I've seen (wasn't mine) was too fat and was binding the trigger bar, causing it to fail to reset. I figured out the problem and the mag was fixed by finding a new home in a trash can.

Maybe you could chop up the spring or follower a little, or put some dirt in the mags to increase the malf rate.

mjkeat
09-30-12, 21:31
I've used them w/o any problems.

Brasilnuts
09-30-12, 21:33
I bought 5 g19 KCI mags a while back for range/IDPA/USPSA use.

I've got about 4k rounds through them and have had zero malfunctions.

kVon
09-30-12, 21:35
I have two in my bag in case a factory mag goes tits-up at a match. They are harder to load though. I also use them for dry fire drills or reloads when I'm constantly dropping the mags over and over. Also keeps me from having to remove all the ammo from the good mags for living room practice.

arptsprt
09-30-12, 22:42
I too have used them without any issues. After a couple thousand rounds through about three of them they are just as reliable as the Glock OEM mags.

KalashniKEV
10-01-12, 11:30
After a couple thousand rounds through about three of them they are just as reliable as the Glock OEM mags.

I've got about 4k rounds through them and have had zero malfunctions.

I echo the above.

I picked up two because they were cheap, just to try them out. I had my eye on them for a while tracking performance, but now I don't even look to see which one I'm loading (with my training mags).

They work.

Kain
10-01-12, 12:32
If you can get them for about $7 a piece or a little more (I think the ones I bought were about $7 before shipping.) then for range mags they should be good. However, if they are running above $10 or like my local gun store $15+ I would just say screw it and order factory mags for $20-23 a piece.

The KCI mags that I have had for my Glock, have been okay, one of the original five I had would malfunction like clock work in all the glocks we shot it in. the others have been okay and more reliable then running a .40 Glock mag loaded with 9mm in a 9mm glock. That said, I would advise against dropping these mags on concrete. They do not hold up to abuse that the factory mags will take, the polymer I think is softer, and I have broken two of the KCI mags running them hard.

Joe R.
10-01-12, 18:54
My experience is that they suck eggs. I bought five to use for training and classes just as a test to see if they would hold up.

On the second trip to the range two of them self destructed, with the floor plates shooting off and all the guts spewing out when the mags were dropped on the grass. After 25 years in law enforcement I call that a clue.

duece71
10-01-12, 19:12
I want to pick a couple of these up FOR RANGE USE only just to see if they work. By the sound of the above post, maybe a subliminal thought directed me not to. My local GS had them for 2 mags and a pouch for $16. I suppose for 16 bucks I could have done worse.

tominphx
10-02-12, 00:50
For me, after many thousands of rounds, they work exactly the same as factory mags. I do cut off some of the flash before use though.

I even have a 33 round korean mag that works fine.

I still use factory mags for carry.

My experience is limited to the khan and KCI mags for both the 19 and 17, and the one happy stick, all in 9mm.

Magsz
10-02-12, 13:37
If they can actually be purchased for 7 dollars then rock on.

If they are over 10 then i would simply look for used 9mm magazines at 14 bucks a pop.

I am also not one of those people that believes in owning five hundred magazines.

I have five range and competition magazines, 15 magazines in "storage" and four carry magazines that get rotated for use and function checked twice a year.

Five KCI mags for training purposes would cost me 35.00 plus shipping.

Five used Glock factory magaziness would cost me. 74.75 plus shipping.

Five new factory Glock magazines would run me 99.95.

Pick your poison and go shoot.

Rattlehead
10-02-12, 14:21
No luck with them for me.