PDA

View Full Version : .458 SOCOM w/Collapsible Stock?

newarowner
02-06-08, 21:12
Guys,
A buddy of mine is about to embark on a .458 SOCOM project. I'm also interested in getting into the .458 SOCOM and may take the plunge with him. I need a no kidding yeah or neah on whether or not a collapsible stock would work...I'm only talking about a stout Magpul CTR type stock...I know that the standard plastic/cheap stocks won't hold up, but I've read on a couple of forums that people have used the CTRs on .458 builds with success. I really need to hear from anyone who has such a setup themselves since my buddy's plan, and mine for that matter, is to use our existing lower (with the CTR upgrade) and a new RRA .458 SOCOM upper. What's the verdict????? Thanks guys!

newarowner
02-08-08, 22:38
Nobody out there with this setup????

newarowner
02-09-08, 15:25
Nevermind everyone, I found a dealer today at the gunshow who sells lots of Rock River rifles. He had a .458 SOCOM straight from Rock River that came with a standard collapsible stock. I've heard that a .458 SOCOM has the recoil of a 20 or 12ga, but he said it isn't that bad. So now I know it can be done! It makes me feel better knowing that the factory is turning them out that way.

Cold
03-01-08, 20:50
I own 2 458 SOCOM's and if you use a UBR or an LMT you should be good to go. The UBR was designed with big bores in mind, per the magpul lit handed out at SHOT.

The big bore AR's are fun... its alot of fun...

newarowner
03-01-08, 21:22
Awesome, thanks! I really have my eye on a UBR...just hope they come out soon!

Powder Burns
05-02-08, 16:55
The CTR has a great lockup and will work fine. I'm using the vltor e-mod on mine and it holds up just fine.