PDA

View Full Version : Which Glock?

TylerD
10-01-12, 23:19
I currently run an XDm 9mm and I'm thinking of trying a new platform. I've put roughly 6k rounds through the XDm with no issues. I've just always had one so I don't know much about other pistols.
I was thinking of purchasing a Gen 4 Glock 17 or 19 to carry, for range, and idpa classes. Is the only difference between these two length, or are there underlying issues to be aware of. I'm leaning more towards the 19 because of length.

Inuvik
10-01-12, 23:25
How big are your hands, and are you planning to CCW with it? If it is just range/comp use, and you don't have really small hands, the 17 seems like the natural choice.

I love my 19 more, but my scores say I shoot the larger gun much better.

TylerD
10-01-12, 23:28
How big are your hands, and are you planning to CCW with it? If it is just range/comp use, and you don't have really small hands, the 17 seems like the natural choice.

I love my 19 more, but my scores say I shoot the larger gun much better.

I would definitely carry it. My hands are average sized and most times I prefer full size grips.

currahee
10-01-12, 23:37
The 19 is easier to carry for most people and the 17 is easier to shoot, especially in competition.

If CCW is a primary use I would suggest the 19, unless you are a really big guy.

Pappabear
10-02-12, 00:30
Glock used to be the go to gun. Look all the threads about Glocks shit canning here and there .....M&P's not accurate. Son, the worlds end is near.

Well maybe not. Much of this often blown out of proportion. But shit, who knows. That being said, I own all these guns and have not noticed problems.

I do like my CCW Glock 19. Cant really have your cake and eat it to. 17 is better for shooting.

PB

DocGKR
10-02-12, 00:44
Cut the G17 grip to the size of a G19. This gives the increased reliability and sight radius of the G17 with the "concealability" inherent with the shorter G19 grip.

Magic_Salad0892
10-02-12, 03:58
I know I'm the weirdo here. But I actually shoot a G19 better than a G17.

Would you guys say I'd be flawed in thinking that a thicker front sight may make up for a shorter slide a bit?

ffhounddog
10-02-12, 04:41
When I do a Glocks I carry a Glock 26 and it works for me. I do not use a Weapon Mounted Light when I am Conceal Carrying so the lack of rail is not off putting. Also I have done the G19 mag in the G26 for carry and the grip feels better to me.

I have a Glock 17 for a Duty holster or CCW and a Glock 26 for a Backup/CC Weapon and I shoot the same between the Glock 17 and the Glock 26.

I do have a Glock 19 gen3 and I do not shoot it as well as the Glock 26 or Glock 17.

I have a Glock 19 gen4 but not enough rounds down range to make a judgement yet. Ido like the Small all the way around grip and it does feel a little better than the Gen3.
ffh

fowler
10-02-12, 05:30
Any Glock in 9mm is fine. Pick the one that fits you. Alot to be said about the G19 its the Swiss -Army knife of 9mm's. It does all pretty good and is a very usefull tool in the 9mm platform. Our close big city likes the G19 for carry with the G26 off duty and back-up,detective work. Many Goverment groups here and accross the pond like the G19.

specopsscout
10-02-12, 05:30
Someone has to be the dissenting voice...I'm five eight, and in fighting weight, a hundred seventy five pounds. Right now, I'm at two ten, but I digress...
I carried a Glock 22(the same size as a 17) for five years every day, several hours a day, before trading up to a Glock 35, which I then carried for the next eight years, every day for the same period. Not that it matters, but I now carry a Para Ordnance P14.45 LDA Limited daily, and have for the last few years.
For many many years, the Colt Commander was considered by most of the experts of the period as the penultimate weapon for concealed carry. Article after article after article was written about how to carry it and shoot it, and this in a period where good holsters and belts were much less common then today. The most serious gun fighters of the time kept the full sized 1911, for it's superior handling over the smaller Commander.
Officer's models were not looked at seriously as much more then a deep concealment pistol, or novelty by most. After all, it was the smallest of the breed, carried the fewest rounds, had the shortest sight picture and was harder to shoot as well as the larger guns.
Now, strangely enough, a pistol the same size as the Commander, to wit the 17/22, that is lighter and carries more rounds, is generally regarded as best suited for range use only, and if one wants to carry concealed, then a more diminutive pistol, the size of a Officer's model is the only correct choice. A Glock 34/35, the same size as a 1911, again with more rounds on tap, is often not considered for anything but perhaps gaming or tac team use. It never enters most conversations about Glock and fighting pistols.
It's funny how times change...
Just as a restating of the obvious, if you need a gun, you need it in the worst possible way, as someone is about to die, and you'd like it to be the other guy. You need it to be accurate enough to place the shots where you need them to go, to work always, and to hit as hard as possible. More rounds in weapon with faster, less fumble prone reloads is a good thing. A longer sight radius to help you place your shots as accurately as possible is a plus. A longer barrel to eek every possible bit of energy out of the caliber is a plus. Generally speaking, if you find yourself in a gunfight as a CCW holder, something really bad has just happened and you're already behind the eight ball hard. You might as well stack the things you can in your favor now...and to paraphrase a good friend of mine, Vern Harrison, "if your gun is too heavy, get stronger..."

Pappabear
10-02-12, 10:20

Would you guys say I'd be flawed in thinking that a thicker front sight may make up for a shorter slide a bit?

I think sights in general make a huge difference. I have an M&P Pro that I always felt I shot as well as most 1911's. IMHO, sights had a lot to do with it. Small fiber optic sight and darkened rear is money for my eyes. Combat sights are center mass combat sights. You can drop them , kick them and they survive combat.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-02-12, 10:35
Someone has to be the dissenting voice...I'm five eight, and in fighting weight, a hundred seventy five pounds. Right now, I'm at two ten, but I digress...
I carried a Glock 22(the same size as a 17) for five years every day, several hours a day, before trading up to a Glock 35, which I then carried for the next eight years, every day for the same period. Not that it matters, but I now carry a Para Ordnance P14.45 LDA Limited daily, and have for the last few years.
For many many years, the Colt Commander was considered by most of the experts of the period as the penultimate weapon for concealed carry. Article after article after article was written about how to carry it and shoot it, and this in a period where good holsters and belts were much less common then today. The most serious gun fighters of the time kept the full sized 1911, for it's superior handling over the smaller Commander.
Officer's models were not looked at seriously as much more then a deep concealment pistol, or novelty by most. After all, it was the smallest of the breed, carried the fewest rounds, had the shortest sight picture and was harder to shoot as well as the larger guns.
Now, strangely enough, a pistol the same size as the Commander, to wit the 17/22, that is lighter and carries more rounds, is generally regarded as best suited for range use only, and if one wants to carry concealed, then a more diminutive pistol, the size of a Officer's model is the only correct choice. A Glock 34/35, the same size as a 1911, again with more rounds on tap, is often not considered for anything but perhaps gaming or tac team use. It never enters most conversations about Glock and fighting pistols.
It's funny how times change...
Just as a restating of the obvious, if you need a gun, you need it in the worst possible way, as someone is about to die, and you'd like it to be the other guy. You need it to be accurate enough to place the shots where you need them to go, to work always, and to hit as hard as possible. More rounds in weapon with faster, less fumble prone reloads is a good thing. A longer sight radius to help you place your shots as accurately as possible is a plus. A longer barrel to eek every possible bit of energy out of the caliber is a plus. Generally speaking, if you find yourself in a gunfight as a CCW holder, something really bad has just happened and you're already behind the eight ball hard. You might as well stack the things you can in your favor now...and to paraphrase a good friend of mine, Vern Harrison, "if your gun is too heavy, get stronger..."
I actually really enjoyed this post and agree with it. A a G17/19/26 owner, I now find myself carrying the 17 more and more, even though I bought it solely for HD use only. It carries better AIWB than a shorter barreled pistol, and I am able to shoot it far better than its smaller counterparts.

As an admittedly poor pistol shooter, I have to carry a larger pistol to take up the slack for my weaknesses. Not only that, but as specopsscout pointed out, a larger pistol like the G17 brings so much more to the gunfight than the 26 does.

There are some glaring differences between the 19 and 17, and I think the biggest is the actual grip shape. The 19 brings the "hump" more into the bottom/middle of your palm, where as the 17 allows a full, unhindered grip because the hump is at the lowest part of the hand and isnt as pronounced. It wont bother most shooters, but it affects some people. I'm carrying a G19 today, so obviously I like and trust both.

d90king
10-02-12, 10:48
Vern Harrison, "if your gun is too heavy, get stronger..."

Pretty sure that Vern is referring to a sniper rifle and not a CCW option...

fowler
10-02-12, 10:56
Yes back in the 1970's the Colt commander was a hot set-up. And yes the smaller chopped micro 1911's are a joke . To short a barrel no power,unreliable mass and springs and to high of a slide speed. Back then I used a Colt Combat Commander,but decided latter that the full size 1911 was the one to pack and shoot. The G-19-G17 are Commander size and easy to pack. And the little G26 is sprung right and weighted enough in the slide to really work 100%. If you cannot pack any of these three Glocks I do not know what to tell you. Get some good holster's that will make it happen.

nineteenkilo
10-02-12, 11:04
I shoot and carry a 17 quite often. Works for me though I like the 19 as well.

As a note - if you can't find a holster for a 17 or 19 that works for you, you've pretty much failed at life. :jester:

Voodoo_Man
10-02-12, 11:48
Depends on how you carry. Aiwb id say smaller is better iwb go for longer barrel. I carry a 19 primarily because ky hands are not caveman level and I shoot well with it. My gen4 19 probably has in the 10k+ range through it at this point.

TylerD
10-02-12, 15:55
I actually ran to a store today and picked both the 17 and 19 up. The 17 feels better in my hand. I'm heading to a range to shoot both to see how they feel. Only bad part is these are Gen 3 and I'm looking at 4's. Can't be that much different feel wise right??

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-02-12, 17:59
Depends on how you carry. Aiwb id say smaller is better iwb go for longer barrel. I carry a 19 primarily because ky hands are not caveman level and I shoot well with it. My gen4 19 probably has in the 10k+ range through it at this point.

IME, the longer the barrel, the easier it will carry in AIWB. So, a grip-chopped 19 or 17 are really ideal for me.

Voodoo_Man
10-02-12, 18:04
IME, the longer the barrel, the easier it will carry in IWB. So, a grip-chopped 19 or 17 are really ideal for me.

Or just carry my 34

jesuvuah
10-02-12, 18:38
I currently own a 17 and 26. Ihave very large hands and my pinky finger actually hangs off a 19 just slightly, so that being said I prefer the 17. I am thinking of selling the 26 to fund a 19 though. I ran some untechnical tests with my 26 with a 19 mag and mag sleeve and compared it to the 26 with flush mag and found that with almost all my clothing, there was no difference with printing. And if I am wearing something that will print a 19 length grip, I it will also print the 26 although not as much. The 26 is harder for me to draw and do mag changes.

That is probably more info then you needed, but I think either a 19 or 17 will suit you fine, you just have to figure out what fits your hand better.

Nephrology
10-02-12, 18:45
I own the 17,19,26. if I had to pick between them, I'd take the 19. I like them all for their own reasons but frankly the 19 is the one I carry the most between the 3. I do not find that I shoot any of them (at slow fire) significantly better than the next.

Unless you are a very skilled shooter, you probably will not notice a significant difference in your ability to shoot the 19 vs the 17 well at speed. So unless you are consistently placing 1st or 2nd at the very least in your local matches, I don't think you'll be let down by the 19.

Magic_Salad0892
10-02-12, 19:05
I think sights in general make a huge difference. I have an M&P Pro that I always felt I shot as well as most 1911's. IMHO, sights had a lot to do with it. Small fiber optic sight and darkened rear is money for my eyes. Combat sights are center mass combat sights. You can drop them , kick them and they survive combat.

I figure 10-8 sights are gonna survive anything regardless.

And I'd always thought that the thinner front sight was supposed to be for more precise shots, but according to 10-8Performance it says on there that's what the thicker sight blade is for.

I run the one in the middle anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter, but I was thinking that sights might make more difference than slide length.

goodoleboy
10-02-12, 20:14
I own a 22RTF2 and Gen 3 19. I must say that I shoot the 22RTF2 better than the 19, but the 19 is a much more versitile weapon. If CCW is not in your future, then the 17 would be the way to go. I might even look into a RTF2 due to how much better I can grip one when my hands are sweaty.

specopsscout
10-02-12, 20:55
Pretty sure that Vern is referring to a sniper rifle and not a CCW option...

Vern is a big fan of full sized 1911s and routinely carries one.

Dunderway
10-02-12, 21:16

I actually shoot my 26 more accurately than my 19 but do give up some draw speed I think.

Which one has the thicker front sight? On two stock pistols (or with the same sights), the 19 front sight should appear thicker when alligned.

Phillygunguy
10-02-12, 21:57
I own 17,19,26 I mostly carry the 17 in a raven concealment IWB
I like the 19 but my hand is big enough that my palm hangs a little over the mag well and have to hold it a certain way when loading or the mag hits my hand. I also and I have to keep my 1rst and 2nd fingers open a little or they cover the opposite side of the mag release and I find I wont seat the mag properly, I dont have this problem with the 17 But I find I shoot the 19 a little better

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-02-12, 22:37
Or just carry my 34

I meant AIWB, mea culpa.

Magic_Salad0892
10-02-12, 22:48
I actually shoot my 26 more accurately than my 19 but do give up some draw speed I think.

Which one has the thicker front sight? On two stock pistols (or with the same sights), the 19 front sight should appear thicker when alligned.

Stock sights? I have no idea. I think they'd all be the same.

I'm using 10-8performance sights on everything.

Voodoo_Man
10-02-12, 23:01
I meant AIWB, mea culpa.

Ahhh...yea....

DocGKR
10-03-12, 00:59
"I actually shoot my 26 more accurately than my 19 but do give up some draw speed I think."

What does the shot timer tell you? How are your scores on an NRA B8 at 25 yds for 10 rds slow fire? How are your times and scores on various standardized courses of fire like:

The LAPD SWAT pistol qual: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?5515-Week-47-DB-Modified-LAPD-SWAT-Qual.

Kyle Defoor's three Pistol tests:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJtczDAUul0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcoBHmXHxMk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wugfoKJ0-fA&feature=plcp.

El Prez, Bill Drill, 500 point Aggregate, Hackathorn's Drills, etc...

---------------------------------

A very experienced senior SOF NCO who has battled many of our Nation's foes and who has the distinction of having used 9mm, .40, and .45 ACP pistols in combat during various phases of his career wrote the following superb analysis discussing pistol calibers recently:

"Not getting into the weapons transition issues from frame design to frame design (it's the reason I love to hate the Glock), the fact of the matter is that the recoil on the G23 crosses the magic line of running the shit out of your pistol. Allow me to explain... Most of the guys mentioned that they can handle the reduced size of the 19 and the recoil increase over the G17 is acceptable. Most of us have also determined that this does NOT cross over to the .40 cartridge. Guys with a firm handle on recoil manipulation can use the G22 and G35 with acceptable results. However when you go down to G26's and G23's, the juice is not worth the squeeze. The recoil is now noticeably effecting times and it's measurable. If you can't effectively control recoil and are wasting time allowing your pistol to settle between shots then this is all a wash and means nothing to you, but if you can apply the fundamentals effectively you will quickly see that you can't run a sub compact 9 or a compact .40 worth a shit. So a decision to accept a larger pistol in order to have an acceptable recoil impulse based upon caliber must be made. The smallest 9mm Glock recoil that I will accept is the G19 and I will not go below the G22 when bumping up to .40."

FChen17213
10-03-12, 04:42
Get both the G17 and G19. One interesting thing too is that many holsters designed for the G17 will fit a G19 just fine and safely too I think. While some claim that they shoot the G19 just as well as they do the G17, it is frequently not the case when you look at actual numbers and scores. When you look at 700 pt aggregate scores, most people's G17 scores will be higher than their G19 scores by a certain percentage that is not negligible. In addition, as the previous poster wrote, I think most people will score better on pistol skills tests with the full size G17 than they will with a compact G19. While the 19 is a great ovrall gun for carry and such, most people are still going to find running the 17 easier.

TylerD
10-03-12, 08:16
Well as it stands after shooting them both side by side I think the 17 feels better in my hand. Felt recoil is softer and less pronounced than my XDm but just slightly. People at the gun store said it may require adjustment when shooting compared to a 1911 or XDm but I found that minimal or next to none at all. Looks like I'll be looking for a good deal on a fde G17 Gen 4 in the next month or so. I appreciate all the advice.

DocGKR
10-03-12, 12:18
I use G17 holsters for my G19's...

Kyle Defoor has stated that in his experience the G19 scores about 10-15% less than the G17 when shooting for accuracy and time.

MrSunday
10-03-12, 14:09
If I could choose to keep only one Glock I would keep my 19. Its about perfect size for my needs.

Guns-up.50
10-03-12, 14:29

This 100% I love both my 17s and 19s but I am a way better shot with my 19s and the hd front helps a ton

vigilant2
10-03-12, 14:37
Only bad part is these are Gen 3 and I'm looking at 4's. Can't be that much different feel wise right??

IMNHO , there is a huge difference in the feel of the Gen 4 and the Gen3 17's and 19's. I own eight glocks , Gen 3's (some with grip reduction) and a Gen 4. I have large hands but with normal length fingers. I strongly suggest you check out a Gen 4 before making a decision. BTW my Gen 4 is currently at 6,550 rounds with no malfunctions. Occasional rearward ejection 0 to 2 rounds every 250 to 300 rnd practice session , all variety of 115 gr ammo.

Pappabear
10-04-12, 01:01
Took my G19 to the range tonight to double check ejections patterns and accuracy. Both were fine. It ejected at 3:00 and shot well.

I tested a couple of MNP's too. Both shot fine. I might just be lucky on these 9mm's.

I shoot my M&P Pro like a custom 1911. Its crazy how accurate that gun is.

denn1911
10-04-12, 09:01
I've held off on purchasing a Gen 4 until six months ago when I picked up a black Gen 4 G17. Having a Gen 3 G17 with over 20k rounds through it, this Gen 4 had some major shoes to fill. After putting it through its paces, I'm very happy with its performance. For me, i like the grip and can feel less felt recoil when comparing it with my Gen 3 G17. With my defensive ammo (Speer Got Dot 124 gr. +P), there is a noticeable difference. Being flawless so far, I went ahead and bought two more new Gen 4's in the last few months...a FDE 17 and a FDE 19. They've seen about 1k round each so time will tell on long term reliability. The only addition to these pistols have been Trijicon HD sights. Before making your decision, try to get one of the Gen 4's in your hands (shooting one would be even better) for comparison.

brickboy240
10-04-12, 12:42
Buy an older 3rd Gen G17 or 19 or a nice lightly used 2nd gen G19 or 17.

Seriously....I'd avoid the newer 17s and 19s altogether.

-brickboy240

ruedger455@yahoo.com
10-04-12, 12:46
I'd definetly go with the 19 I'm a big guy and it fits me perfect. Great guns both of them. I run an m&p9c which is awesome.

Guns-up.50
10-04-12, 13:26

-brickboy240

Newer I assume your referring to the late gen threes?
I have had some ejection issues, a little filing fixed the mess not worth avoiding altogether .

Shokr21
10-04-12, 15:29
My gen 4 17 test fire in march recently went 2500 rounds error free with a mix of about half freedom munitions blaster and my reloads.

packinaglock
10-04-12, 17:46

-brickboy240

I got lucky and picked up an early model gen 3, G19 a couple months back on Gunbroker for 450.00 and it still had the copper grease on the rails. Looked as though it was never used.

Uncas47
10-04-12, 19:49
17s, 19s and a 26, I let the climate and the way I dress for it dictate. Sometimes a certain NPE requires small and deep

TylerD
10-22-12, 21:45
Well its finally decided! I have a G17 Gen 4 FDE on the way and should be here by Wednesday. Are there any "necessary" upgrades?

FAB45
10-22-12, 22:24
17 or 19 will probably be the common answer here.

FAB45
10-22-12, 22:25
Well its finally decided! I have a G17 Gen 4 FDE on the way and should be here by Wednesday. Are there any "necessary" upgrades?

Great choice! Im happy for you, I would just add some non-factory sights, the plastic stock ones won't cut it for serious range time or self defense.

currahee
10-22-12, 22:56
Great choice! Im happy for you, I would just add some non-factory sights, the plastic stock ones won't cut it for serious range time or self defense.

Second new sights. And make sure you lock-tight that front sight. An hour or so sifting through the grass at the range taught me that lesson

Uncas47
10-23-12, 10:40
Thirds on the sights, I just put 10-8s on my new gen4 fde 17, love em. Warrens on the others, also gtg.

Alaskapopo
10-23-12, 17:31

That is strange because most people shoot the larger guns better. The Glock 34 being the easiest to shoot well.
Pat

MikeCLeonard
10-23-12, 18:30
I use G17 holsters for my G19's...

Kyle Defoor has stated that in his experience the G19 scores about 10-15% less than the G17 when shooting for accuracy and time.

Can it be said whether this is a result of the longer grip on the 17, the longer sight radius, or both?

I guess I'm curious whether grip length or slide length impacts scores/accuracy/speed the most.

Bullseye-777
10-23-12, 18:54

Better sights. I like Heinie Slant Pros.

I also like an extended mag release and use Vicker's.

duece71
10-23-12, 20:39
I have both the 17 and the 19. I switched out the factory sights for Heinie straight 8s with the ledge. Also got a trigger job and went with the 3.5lb disconnector from Ghost for both guns. Both shoot much better in terms of groups. The 19 is for CCW, 17 for home defense. No problems with FTF, FTE except for a few to the nawgin from the 19. Both have been run with factory high caps and one factory 10 rounder. No reloads (yet) and a mix of WWB, Rem, CCI, Fed and even some Tula. Both guns have approximately 1500 rounds through each.

JHoward
10-23-12, 21:04
Nothing to add except another vote for 19. It's really choice that doesn't compromise and does everything well.

KSmedman
10-23-12, 21:24

Congrats, good choice!

I see a lot of posts about replacing the sights, my humble suggestion would be to see how you shoot it with the factory sights first.

I bought my first Glock (Gen4 19) about a year ago. Thought I'd replace the sights too, but then I found that the "dot and bucket" are actually pretty good. I find the outline rear to be easy to catch in my peripheral when I'm looking for the front dot.
I am quickly becoming a Glock afficionado (though I still love my other pistols), and this G19 is about the easiest and fastest gun I've shot when it comes to follow up shots. Running Mogadishu drills with the 19 is fast, accurate, and fun.
The only thing I've done is change the connector to a Glockworx V3. Lighter pull and a crisper reset IMHO.
Enjoy your 17, my next Glock will be an FDE 21 I believe, maybe a 17...

Alaskapopo
10-23-12, 21:30
Congrats, good choice!

I see a lot of posts about replacing the sights, my humble suggestion would be to see how you shoot it with the factory sights first.

I bought my first Glock (Gen4 19) about a year ago. Thought I'd replace the sights too, but then I found that the "dot and bucket" are actually pretty good. I find the outline rear to be easy to catch in my peripheral when I'm looking for the front dot.
I am quickly becoming a Glock afficionado (though I still love my other pistols), and this G19 is about the easiest and fastest gun I've shot when it comes to follow up shots. Running Mogadishu drills with the 19 is fast, accurate, and fun.
The only thing I've done is change the connector to a Glockworx V3. Lighter pull and a crisper reset IMHO.
Enjoy your 17, my next Glock will be an FDE 21 I believe, maybe a 17...

The problem with the stock sights is not just about usability they are also very fragile. They break easily if your gun hits the concreet.
Pat

Denali
10-23-12, 21:52
I currently run an XDm 9mm and I'm thinking of trying a new platform. I've put roughly 6k rounds through the XDm with no issues. I've just always had one so I don't know much about other pistols.
I was thinking of purchasing a Gen 4 Glock 17 or 19 to carry, for range, and idpa classes. Is the only difference between these two length, or are there underlying issues to be aware of. I'm leaning more towards the 19 because of length.

I would recomend that you first try one out, either a generous friends, or a rental from your local range. Run several hundred rounds through such a pistol first, then proceed from there....

KSmedman
10-23-12, 22:06
The problem with the stock sights is not just about usability they are also very fragile. They break easily if your gun hits the concreet.
Pat

I believe they are polymer, at least on mine.
Luckily, I haven't tested them against concrete. Yet... ;)

ETA: There are steel versions of the stock sights available pretty inexpensively.

brushy bill
10-23-12, 22:12
Pat

Pat, what are you running on your Glock(s)? Any encounters with concrete? Results?

Alaskapopo
10-23-12, 22:32
Pat, what are you running on your Glock(s)? Any encounters with concrete? Results?

I run Tru Glo Tritium Fiber optic night sights. They are steel with fiber optics inside of them. If you break the fiber optic rods the sight is still usable. They are very easy to see and shoot with which is why I like them.
Pat
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20auto%20pistols/Glock17Dutygun.jpg

brushy bill
10-24-12, 22:21
I run Tru Glo Tritium Fiber optic night sights. They are steel with fiber optics inside of them. If you break the fiber optic rods the sight is still usable. They are very easy to see and shoot with which is why I like them.
Pat
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20auto%20pistols/Glock17Dutygun.jpg

Visibility is impressive from the photos. Can you replace the fiber optic rod relatively easily or no? Also, not to derail the thread, but have you experienced any issues with the extended mag baseplates coming off, reduced reliability or other issues?

Alaskapopo
10-24-12, 23:55
Visibility is impressive from the photos. Can you replace the fiber optic rod relatively easily or no? Also, not to derail the thread, but have you experienced any issues with the extended mag baseplates coming off, reduced reliability or other issues?

I have not had issues personally. I have switched to Arredondo extended mag bases and they way they attach they are not coming off and they hold 22 rounds. Here is a link.
http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/category.cfm?cid=1001,2015&PID=fc25l4900kouep&GID=gpad I have not had to replace the rods in these sights but I imagine they are replacable like other fiber optics. Not sure how it interfaces with the tritium inserts.

Pat

TylerD
10-26-12, 21:31
Finally got the new G17 out to the range today and put 50 rounds through it.
I was a little pressed for time but I had good results at 10 yards.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i381/tylerd2/photobucket-25154-1351304480181.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i381/tylerd2/photobucket-22386-1351304424807.jpg