PDA

View Full Version : seen the new surefire mounting system ?

cz7
10-02-12, 00:00
http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/suppressor-adapters/flash-hider-adapter.html what the heck gives ...open prong which has a bad history of blooming and bending ?? old FH762 worked great has flash hider ...http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2034 ..its getting nuts now !

RyanB
10-02-12, 00:06
Three prongs flash less and the only ones I'm aware of that bent were some Vortexes from a bad lot of steel in 2002 or so.

halmbarte
10-02-12, 00:34
First the iPhone with its goofy new connector and now this!!!

H

Biggy
10-02-12, 01:13
If the new Surefire SOCOM Series suppressors and adapters were good enough to win a SOCOM contract, I doubt I will have any trouble with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bjFQmkECIo

Magic_Salad0892
10-02-12, 02:28
The SOCOM series of suppressor/mount beat out (IMHO) the best suppressor on the market (KAC QDSS-NT4) before it in the test.

There's probably a reason for it.

I'm dying to see how this compares to the KAC MAMS system in the future.

ETA: I recall being told that the KAC QDSS-NT4 was in the SOCOM test. I'm assuming that this is true.

everyusernametaken
10-02-12, 05:17
The Silencerco Saker is a compelling new rifle suppressor which is about to be released. It didn't exist when that SOCOM competition began a couple years back, so it obviously wasn't represented there. It has some interesting design elements that I'm very impressed with. It will be 5.56 only at first, but they say they're already working on a 7.62 Saker. I don't know how it will perform yet, but Silencerco is always highly competitive.

One of the unique features of the Saker is a modular mounting system. There is a mounting module to fit Silencerco's own flash hider, and there will be other modules available to fit other companies' mounts, including Surefire products.

RyanB
10-02-12, 10:43
The last thing the military needs is a modular mount for a can. Not excited about the Saker, I haven't figured out why everyone else is.

The NT4 was state of the art in its day but now it's got an outdated locking system, a low efficiency flash suppressor for a mount and it's a half pound too heavy.

everyusernametaken
10-02-12, 11:05
I know why the Saker's got my attention, and as far as I can tell, a lot of the community. It is actually going in new directions, as opposed to simply reiterating the same old designs that have been around for decades. I couldn't care less about meeting military requirements when it comes to my personal suppressors, but a threaded, replaceable endcap is a great feature that SF and company haven't brought to market.

Magic_Salad0892
10-02-12, 19:11
The last thing the military needs is a modular mount for a can. Not excited about the Saker, I haven't figured out why everyone else is.

The NT4 was state of the art in its day but now it's got an outdated locking system, a low efficiency flash suppressor for a mount and it's a half pound too heavy.

But the NT4 is still shorter, quieter, and potentially longer lasting than most of them.

Don't forget that the Triple Tap brake (while extremely expensive) is arguably the most effecient muzzle brake on the market while producing one of the lowest flash signatures out there. (Until you get carbon all over it.)

Norinco
10-02-12, 20:06
If the new Surefire SOCOM Series suppressors and adapters were good enough to win a SOCOM contract, I doubt I will have any trouble with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bjFQmkECIo

I had the privilege of being the first civi to try the 556RC. Solid as a rock and no gas up the nose.

http://imageshack.us/a/img254/4612/img0576o.jpg

RyanB
10-02-12, 20:07
My experience with the NT4 is that it is plenty quiet but longer cans are quieter, which is why they were made that long in the first place. Longer lasting I can definitely see. But I'm very weight conscious.

As to the 3T, I've not fired one but I can't imagine it coming anywhere near the effectiveness of a two port muzzle brake. Does it?

RyanB
10-02-12, 20:09
I know why the Saker's got my attention, and as far as I can tell, a lot of the community. It is actually going in new directions, as opposed to simply reiterating the same old designs that have been around for decades. I couldn't care less about meeting military requirements when it comes to my personal suppressors, but a threaded, replaceable endcap is a great feature that SF and company haven't brought to market.

Why is it a great feature? You're either getting baffle strikes or not. I like my end caps welded on. Lighter, more durable etc.

The reported advances in materials science have my interest but beyond that I'm disinclined to buy one.

Magic_Salad0892
10-02-12, 20:42
My experience with the NT4 is that it is plenty quiet but longer cans are quieter, which is why they were made that long in the first place. Longer lasting I can definitely see. But I'm very weight conscious.

As to the 3T, I've not fired one but I can't imagine it coming anywhere near the effectiveness of a two port muzzle brake. Does it?

Absolutely. When you fire it, it's like the dot vibrates, but doesn't really move.

Even when shooting my second favorite brake ever (Surefire MB556) the dot moves vertically a little bit.

BCmJUnKie
10-02-12, 20:47
First the iPhone with its goofy new connector and now this!!!

H

:lol::lol:

I have seen the 3 prong bend. Granted it was dropped, but I have heard the same same complaints before as well.

Biggy
10-02-12, 23:34
I had the privilege of being the first civi to try the 556RC. Solid as a rock and no gas up the nose.

http://imageshack.us/a/img254/4612/img0576o.jpg

I bought 2 of the new Surefire flash hiders/adapters here : http://www.webersguns.com/3prong-flash-hidersuppressor-adapter-556mm-m16ar-12x28-threads-p-33447.html?manufacturers_id=263

I have used the AAC and Smith Vortex flash hiders in the past and they are excellent hiders. The first thing I noticed about the new SF flash hiders when I had them in my hand was the weight and how beefy and strong they looked and felt. As we all know, anything made by man can be busted, bent or broke . I think you might very well bend or spring the barrel before you bend the tines on this flash hider/adapter. It will be interesting to see how well the new vented blast baffle in the SOCOM Series cans work at reducing the cyclic rate and back pressure of the weapon. Probably no need for a Switch Block or adjustable gas block.

Icculus
10-03-12, 08:14
There's a long discussion already going on about this in the NFA section including a Surefire rep chiming in.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=109036

JasonM
10-03-12, 09:32
...but a threaded, replaceable endcap is a great feature that SF and company haven't brought to market.

The endcap isn't threaded or replaceable, there's a superficial endpiece that you can play with.

markm
10-03-12, 09:37

That's not always because of the can. There's a lot of factors in how much gas you get in the face.

RyanS
10-03-12, 20:55
So where are the mounts for those of us who have the older cans? I can't find them on the website.

Edit: nevermind. I see where Garin said they will keep producing the older mounts, they just won't have them on the website.

Magic_Salad0892
10-03-12, 22:19
That's not always because of the can. There's a lot of factors in how much gas you get in the face.

I forgot to mention this.

Those look like rifle gas guns. If you had shot 'em with no gas in the face from an unmodified (not tuned for supressors) 10.5'' CAR gas gun, I'd be super impressed.

everyusernametaken
10-03-12, 22:39
The endcap isn't threaded or replaceable, there's a superficial endpiece that you can play with.

I looked back at the video Silencerco made showing the features of the Saker, and I see what you mean as far as being superficial, but the bore aperture on the endcap is on the removable part. Behind the cap, the aperture is much larger, so any strike would damage the replaceable part, so the end user can fix it themself.