PDA

View Full Version : Larue Predatar Setup

FChen17213
10-03-12, 00:08
I have a Predatar on order and I know the gun has a unique rail. I plan on running a 1-4x optic with this carbine. It is the 16" version. Does anyone here run a Predatar with a laser and white light and at what o clock positions?

I was thinking running the scope in a Larue high mount (the 1.93" height), a laser DBal at 12 o clock behind BUIS, a Surefire Scout at 4 o clock since it won't fit at 1 or 2 o clock due to the DBal D2 (eye safe civy version). If I could fit a mini scout or scout in a drop wing Haley mount and still have it at 1 or 2 o clock and reach it with my support hand, I think that would be ideal. Does anyone with a Predatar have
A similar setup? I am wondering how well that has worked and whether it all fits at the end of the gun or not. Thanks.

jared91
10-03-12, 09:15
You realllllllly wont be needing the laser. The top of the predatar rail is normal, and when you get your rifle, you will recieve a mount on rail section that will replace one of the grips. Figure out where you want it and like it, then locktight (a small vial comes with) the bolt in. You will need a torx driver, the supplied torx wrench leaves a lot to be desired and can easily strip out a screw( two extras are provided), I personally did this. Your optic mount sounds fine, i wouldnt change that at all.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Duffy
10-03-12, 10:03
The DBAL sits pretty tall on the rail, not a big deal with 4X and above, and totally usable with 1X, some may find it annoying. PEQ-15 mounts much lower than the DBAL. You might mount the DBAL on top and see if it bothers you, if it does, mount it on the side. For years I mounted my PEQ-2A on the right side. My PEQ-15 is mounted at 12 o'clock because it sits very low.

I'd get a normal height mount, the extra tall LT mount is for the objective lens of an optic to overhang the PEQ-2, PEQ-15, etc., it's too tall for many users, thus my recommendation to find an acceptable place for the DBAL without compromising a good cheek weld.

Here on my Shrike, the rail is taller than an AR15's normal rail hand guard, with the DBAL mounted, the front sight is unusable, you will not have this problem with a standard height AR handguard.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/DBAL.jpg

FChen17213
10-03-12, 10:25
Thanks. I was hoping the taller mount would allow the optic to clear the laser better. At the same time, I know there are some cheekweld concerns. The LT-104 would normally be my choice, but it might not put the optic high enough. No experience yet for myself, but I have heard that it is a huge huge PITA to zero a laser when you put it at 3 or 9 o'clock. I can definitely see this happening as your windage and elevation adjustments get changed. The other thing is that since the laser is never going to be in line with the bore windage-wise unlike a scope, you are going to have to know your hold overs for both windage and elevation at different distances.

JSantoro
10-03-12, 15:09
It's not a PITA to zero; THAT'S the easy part, and is procedurally no different than @ 12.

Having what was an elevation adjuster @ 12, turn into a windage adjuster @ 3 or 9 isn't difficult....which doesn't in any way make it impossible to forget (--> done it <-- :sad: ).

It's a PITA to remember your holds past the chosen zero distance. There's always gonna be a vertical offset, but the less horizontal offset one has, the easier things are.