PDA

View Full Version : Why non latex gloves?

unclerandy
10-03-12, 03:05
Could someone please post why non latex gloves are so important. What are the other options and why they make a difference.

Joeywhat
10-03-12, 03:07
Because latex allergies are somewhat common.

Hmac
10-03-12, 07:04
Latex allergy in the general population is actually fairly rare, about the same as, say, peanut allergy, but increased exposure to latex increases the incidence. So, while the incidence in the general population is less than 1%, it's about 10% among health care workers. That's the main driving force for non-latex gloves. OSHA regulations play a big role.

Anaphylaxis as a consequence of latex allergy is rare, but it's deadly if it occurs, and you can't really predict which people are going to go from sensitization to anaphylaxis, and when.

bullittmcqueen
10-03-12, 08:24
Latex-free gloves are starting to be the norm just to avoid untoward consequences to patients, especially in emergency situations where the patient may be unconscious and unable to relay allergy information. The above post is correct as well, as a fair percentage of hospital staff also have latex allergy. Both types should be available in the hospital but for EMS or units with limited resources, you'll probably just get latex-free.

I for one absolutely hate latex-free gloves because they do not conform to your hands, have a powdery film on them which contributes to them not staying in place, and make examining patients almost impossible. And just forget procedures which require fine motor skills such as putting in lines. I will not wear them anymore. Thankfully I don't have a latex allergy. :dirol:

Apricotshot
10-03-12, 08:35
Good thing I don't use condoms anymore, I might get a latex allergy...

bullittmcqueen
10-03-12, 08:36
:lol::lol:
Good thing I don't use condoms anymore, I might get a latex allergy...

Zhurdan
10-03-12, 08:49
...snip

Thankfully I don't have a latex allergy. :dirol:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the patient just as susceptible to the latex as the wearer?

(I really have no idea and I'm not being a smart ass)

bullittmcqueen
10-03-12, 08:52
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the patient just as susceptible to the latex as the wearer?

(I really have no idea and I'm not being a smart ass)

read the first sentence from my post:

Latex-free gloves are starting to be the norm just to avoid untoward consequences to patients, especially in emergency situations where the patient may be unconscious and unable to relay allergy information.

I said I am thankful I don't have latex allergy because I can choose not to wear those terrible latex-free gloves.

Zhurdan
10-03-12, 08:59
Well, you know what they say... comprehension is key. It's apparent that my comprehension doesn't turn on until after the THIRD cup of coffee. :D

bullittmcqueen
10-03-12, 09:01
Well, you know what they say... comprehension is key. It's apparent that my comprehension doesn't turn on until after the THIRD cup of coffee. :D

On cup #2 myself....

Hmac
10-03-12, 11:09

No, repeated exposure is a component of latex sensitivity, so health care workers, who wear gloves a lot, are more likely to develop issues than patients.

Certainly, the general public can be latex sensitive, but the incidence is less than 1% as opposed to health care workers where the incidence of latex sensitivity is 10% or greater. Anaphylaxis in both groups is rare. Latex-sensitive health care people who wear latex gloves are far more likely to get local skin reaction of varying severity.

The current crop of sterile gloves for OR use tend to be mostly some sort of vinyl rather than latex. Those gloves, for that purpose, are pretty good these days and most surgeons find them to be perfectly acceptable or use in the OR where tactile sensation is obviously very important. At our facility, we went through endless trials of various brands before we found one that was acceptable to all the surgeons. They are substantially more expensive than latex, however. Another component of the rising cost of health care. Exam gloves, however, such as the ones in boxes on the wall in ERs or patient exam rooms are usually pretty bad. For that purpose they're usable in most circumstances. They're primary advantage is that they're cheap.

unclerandy
10-03-12, 15:29
So what is the preferred glove, nitrile or what? Brands would be helpful for those with experience with them.

ST911
10-03-12, 15:46
So what is the preferred glove, nitrile or what? Brands would be helpful for those with experience with them.

My stock is all nitrile, extended cuff, bright colors. Thickness ranges from 5mil to 10mil or so. There are various brands, no preference.

halmbarte
10-03-12, 15:54
Another consideration is that latex gloves are susceptible to attack by atmospheric oxygen. It's annoying to pull on a glove that falls apart on your hand.

Probably more of a consideration for people that carry gloves a lot more than they use them.

H

just a scout
10-03-12, 16:25
Also, latex gloves are porous at the microscopic level. And it's reactive with certain chemicals. Nitrile is non-reactive. I found out the hard way when my gloves melted on a patient we pulled out of a drainage tank at an oil refinery.

bullittmcqueen
10-05-12, 13:34
Sensicares for me. Which, ironically, are latex free. But they don't bunch up on your fingertips when your hands get dirty.

unclerandy
10-30-12, 04:18
Should proper fit be quite tight?

just a scout
10-30-12, 08:27
It should be snug. Tight will act as a compression dressing on your hands. Makes the gloves easier to rip during flexing or use. Also can make your hands numb or interfere with your sense of touch after a bit. You want snug like a good shooting glove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TahoeLT
10-30-12, 15:13
I know a number of people in healthcare with latex allergies; I'm not sure I've met anyone not in healthcare who reacts.

I like latex gloves fine, except they deteriorate as noted, and often don't seem as durable as nitrile. You may lose a tiny bit of tactile sense, but the confidence in protection makes up for it, IMO.

Hot Holster
10-30-12, 15:33
I like nitrile, at least 5mil.

Texas42
10-30-12, 17:27
Should proper fit be quite tight?

really depends on what your doing. I like looser fit for, just wearing gloves. Its easier to put on larger gloves on when your hands are sweaty, but if you doing anything that requires tactile sensation, the tighter the better.

USAFPararescueDoc66
02-13-13, 10:43
Latex in trauma is generally never used due to the fact the patient is most likely sedated from opiod pain medication, and or is unconscious. The patient will not be able to readily identify any potencially life threatening allergies so might as well be safe than sorry. I have also found that certain nitrile brands have a bit of "tackiness" to the finger making instruement manipulation and grip (even when covered in blood) much easier.

steyrman13
02-13-13, 10:49
Do these people with latex "allergies" not wear underwear or socks? There is latex in both correct? I'm not saying there aren't some but prob fewer than believed. Most of my family is in medical field including dentistry and always speak less highly of latex-free gloves.

Hmac
02-13-13, 11:09
People who get a contact dermatitis from latex (the most common reaction) avoid latex whether it be exam gloves or underwear.

Non-latex exam gloves for health care workers can be completely acceptable for critical medical use if tactile performance is really important, but those gloves are quite a bit more expensive, therefore not widely used. There is also a wide variety in performance of non-latex exam gloves, some much more acceptable than others.

Koshinn
02-13-13, 11:37
Do these people with latex "allergies" not wear underwear or socks? There is latex in both correct?

Socks, underwear, and even condoms existed before they put latex into them. I know, it's hard to believe.

Litpipe
02-13-13, 11:40
Allergies are the only think I can think of. Oh, dust too.

FeltaDorce
02-13-13, 11:52
Latex can also INCREASE the toxicity of some chemicals that can pass through it. Latex is porous, and quite a few things actually can get through. Nitrile is a better glove, but I notice that my hands sweat more in Nitrile. I had to switch because I found that I was allergic to some epoxy resins used in paints and plastics. Latex actually made my reactions to the chemical worse. My hands were swollen up like balloons after exposure.

Hmac
02-13-13, 12:28
Latex can also INCREASE the toxicity of some chemicals that can pass through it.

How does that work, exactly? I can't think of a viable mechanism that validates that assertion.

FeltaDorce
02-13-13, 12:39
I would presume that it is because it traps the allergen partially under the glove... I don't know, I'm not my medical doctor.

That being said, I appreciate what I got from this website, and I do bow out. This place should be a case study for misanthropy. I wish you all well, good luck to you all. Shoot straight and often.

Thanks again, Felta.

Hmac
02-13-13, 12:45
I would presume that it is because it traps the allergen partially under the glove...

Yeah....um, I doubt it.

Your medical doctor told you that?

USAFPararescueDoc66
02-13-13, 12:48
I would presume that it is because it traps the allergen partially under the glove... I don't know, I'm not my medical doctor.

That being said, I appreciate what I got from this website, and I do bow out. This place should be a case study for misanthropy. I wish you all well, good luck to you all. Shoot straight and often.

Thanks again, Felta.

As a Medical Doctor, I have not heard of latex actually increasing or changing molecular compounds with relation to toxins. I will actually look into this today as I know Helsinki Hospital in Finland recently did a case study on allergenics with a scope on latex vs synthetic. Obviously any allergen could be trapped under a latex or synthetic glove if proper safety and sterility is not practiced. I think you might be referring to the pourus property of latex and the notion that this pourus structure may HOLD chemicals. However, any glove be it latex or synthetic is designed to keep solutions away from your skin, and the dirt, sweat on your hands out of the patient. So in my opinion I truly see no way that because an allergen is trapped within a glove that it will transpose to a patient. This is something I have never heard of but will read up on it, and post a definitive peer edited answer to this question regarding toxic and molecular compounds being altered by latex.

Stay Safe All.

FeltaDorce
02-13-13, 12:49
Thanks man. I will be sure to call him up and let him know that HMAC, internet super operator, questions his medical opinion. I am certain that he will be relieved to have become informed.

Seriously though. Thank you all.

Hmac
02-13-13, 12:54
Thanks man. I will be sure to call him up and let him know that HMAC, internet super operator, questions his medical opinion. I am certain that he will be relieved to have become informed.

Seriously though. Thank you all.

so...bullshit then?

Hmac
02-13-13, 13:06

This misanthropy you were talking about.....

ride57
05-24-13, 17:34
We have pretty much gotten rid of all the latex we can in the OR where I work.

I have the pleasure of being allergic to the hypoallergenic gloves that replaced the latex gloves. It is actually 2 chemicals used in the making of the gloves that I am allergic to. Carba Mix, and Thiuram mix. I'm not allergic to latex.

The surgical scrub soap chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG) makes my arms look like I held them in boiling water.

The hardest part is when I'm at a Dr's appt, or in the ER, is keeping the nurses/LPN's/techs etc from putting CHG on me.

SteveL
05-28-13, 11:40
Just to follow up on what someone else said about bright colors, this is very good advice. The FD where I work ended up getting a batch of black nitrile gloves a while back. The major problem, as we soon found out, is that you can't see blood on them very well.

Also if you're anticipating having to use them outdoors where it's hot, go ahead and put two pairs on if you think you'll go through one pair and need another. Once your hands start sweating, it's much easier to peel a layer off than to put a pair on. If you do have to don a clean pair over your sweaty hands it will help a bit if they're not too tight.