PDA

View Full Version : Shovel? And other tools

ASH556
10-03-12, 09:56
I don't have a camp shovel. Is it better to get one of the folding e-tool styles or just a lightweight garden spade?

Forseeable uses would be latrine, dakota fire, other various small digging tasks.

Also, I have two hatchets and am not too enthralled with either of them. The first is a cheap one that got me through scouts...metal handle, rubber grip (that slips and slides all over the place)...it was a Wal-mart item.

The second is more of a boy's axe and it works well for splitting firewood but is a bit large and heavy.

I'm liking the look of the SOG hatchet.

Thoughts?

mallowpufft
10-03-12, 10:06
The WWII style shovels work well and can often be found for a few bucks at surplus stores.

The fiskars hatchet is pretty nice for the money; just be ready to some work the first time you roll the edge. It's pretty thin from the factory but works well. A Husqvarna hatchet is also a good choice but will need a good bit of file work to perform to its fullest potential.

Tapatalk ate my spelling and grammar.

soulezoo
10-03-12, 10:26
a little nylon garden trowl is very light, costs about a buck and will perform most light duty chores so long as you aren't trying to dig in hardpan, granite or soil thick with tree roots. It is also handy for making the breathing side hole for a dakota fire or cat holes.

For larger chores, I've burned through a couple of e-tools with the hinge being the weak link. I went to a spetnaz shovel; slightly heavier but much more robust. I strap it to the outside of the pack.

I'm one of those idiots that pack heavy though...

On the hatchet, I second the advice above with the fiskars. Choose the size you want and be happy.

Watrdawg
10-03-12, 10:46
In my truck tool box I have a mini shovel. Basicaly about 3/4 the size of a regular shovel but with a 2 1/2 foot handle. I've found this works better than an E-tool for heavier digging chores. I also have an Estwing Campers Axe. It has a 16" handle and is all steel. It's a bit heavy but will handle light duty chopping needs pretty well.

mdain
10-03-12, 10:49
Lowes sells a small D handle shovel for $10. Picture a 1/4 scale version of a normal shovel, built for an adult, not your kids garden toy. It is larger than my Gerber E-tool, but I like it much more. Also, no moving parts to worry about. And for the price, you can get several.

Watrdawg
10-03-12, 10:52
Lowes sells a small D handle shovel for $10. Picture a 1/4 scale version of a normal shovel, built for an adult, not your kids garden toy. It is larger than my Gerber E-tool, but I like it much more. Also, no moving parts to worry about. And for the price, you can get several.

That's exactly what I was trying to describe. Great little shovel

mdain
10-03-12, 10:59
I got one for my daughter to play with, then saw how well built they are. After "borrowing" hers a few times, I grabbed a few for myself.

ASH556
10-03-12, 11:04
I just watched a couple videos of the Cold Steel Special Forces shovel...looks pretty good and versatile...feedback?

Straight Shooter
10-03-12, 19:44
Im thinkin of treating myself to a Glock shovel for Christmas, anyone use one or have any thoughts on these?

maximus83
10-04-12, 16:13
I use the folding Gerber shovel, it works pretty well and folds down nicely. You can even get a plastic case for it which makes it easier to carry if backpacking.

As for a hatchet, I've gotten away from using one. I now use a Silky folding saw instead, it's about half a pound, folds down to 9", and does everything I need. They've gotten a bit spendy lately because they use a really high-end blade. There are other good folding saws that cost less, like the Bahco saw (http://www.amazon.com/BAHCO-396-LAP-Inch-Laplander-Folding/dp/B0001IX7OW).

Bad Medicine
10-04-12, 16:46
I agree with going for the fold down shovel though they can be pretty heavy! As for a hatchet Gränsfor Bruks is what I would go with. If taken care of it should last you for generations.

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/753114/gerber-gorge-folding-shovel

http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/produkter/new_prod/p_vildmarksyxa.html

SeriousStudent
10-04-12, 22:44
If one keeps an eye out on ebay, you can find a Granfor Bruks or Hult Bruks axe or hatchet. I snagged a GB axe head for $21, and a HB hatchet head for $6. The stamps werre there on the heads, the guy just did not know what he was selling.

A good replacement hickory handle is about 15 to 20 dollars.

I'm a fan of using cutting tools like most guys use golf clubs. I have saws, hatchets, axes, etc. But for all arround use, it's hard to beat a good axe. You just have to know how to use it correctly and safely, or it can kill you.

On the shovels, I have an old folding entrenching tool in the car, and a plastic trowel for camping or hiking.

soulezoo
10-05-12, 10:09
I just watched a couple videos of the Cold Steel Special Forces shovel...looks pretty good and versatile...feedback?

That is a cheaper knock-off of the spetsnaz (saperka) shovel I was referring to above.

When I say cheaper knock-off, I don't mean to imply it is cheap or junk. While it resembles the original and is otherwise well made, it is different steel (supposed to deflect bullets), and lacks some of the original features. Such as the axe edge, nail remover and some versions a saw edge and a crude protractor for navigation. The original is somewhat heavier than the cold steel version due to the denser steel used in the making.

Boy Scout
10-05-12, 10:44
I cheat and use my 12 inch modded Ontario machete for digging. Soft earth in Indiana and little to no hardwood lets me use it for multiple uses: digging, processing firewood, feather sticks, chopping brush...heck, I've even used it to field dress game.

tinfinger
11-24-12, 18:48
I don't have extensive experience but I've really been pleased with the East German folding shovel (e-tool) with the pick on the back. You can lock the pick and blade at 90 degrees; having these options helps. (Use the pick side to loosen hard earth). I doubt you could break the pivot pin; it is heavy duty all the way. Also heavy though.

I'm going to try a CS special forces shovel next.

If you ever spend the money on a Gransfor hatchet, a few years down the road you won't care what you paid for it. They are that good. Having said that, someday I'm going to pick up a made-in-Finland Fiskers or Gerber. I've read many good things about them.

RamadiDoorkicker
11-25-12, 07:23
I use a shovel I've had for years. It doesn't fold but has about a 32" handle. I strap it to the outside of my ruck and carry it in my trapping packbasket. I've used etools for years as an infantry and they suck! Whether trying to dig a fighting position, chisel away at hard soil, or fill sand bags you always fight it. The hinge and threaded tightening band both get stuck and full of debri. They often become lose at the hinges. All they are good for is a makeshift toilet seat.

As for a hatchet, I went thru the same battle looking for the right one. Spend the money and get a quality one. I've bought estwing's, gerners, friskars...none satisfied me. I spent nearly a hundred bucks on this one and love it! I find myself creating more work for myself just so I can use it. Not sure of the name since its german made but any of the sites provided above have quality lines...Good luck

Sam Sr
12-29-12, 07:50
My preference is for a real shovel rather than a folder. If I was backpacking it I would not have anything larger than a trowel. If it is in the truck I will have the d handled shovel.
I have folders and use them but always find myself wishing for a real shovel when I'm doing anything more than pitying dirt on the camp fire.

Vic303
12-30-12, 19:28
For a small portable digger, you want a Lesche. I have used the Lowes version and it just doesn't compare. The Lesche is expensive for what looks like a common garden trowel, but it really will outperform the rest. (Predator tools are the same thing.)

http://www.colonialmetaldetectors.com/Lesche-Digging-Tool_p_27.html

http://www.predatortools.com/
The model 85.

Razorhunter
01-15-13, 10:19
I don't have extensive experience but I've really been pleased with the East German folding shovel (e-tool) with the pick on the back. You can lock the pick and blade at 90 degrees; having these options helps. (Use the pick side to loosen hard earth). I doubt you could break the pivot pin; it is heavy duty all the way. Also heavy though.

I'm going to try a CS special forces shovel next.

If you ever spend the money on a Gransfor hatchet, a few years down the road you won't care what you paid for it. They are that good. Having said that, someday I'm going to pick up a made-in-Finland Fiskers or Gerber. I've read many good things about them.

Any source and pics for this East German folding shovel with pick? I thought Gerber used to, or possibly still does make a NATO entrenching tool that also had the pick spike on the reverse side of the shovel spade?
Does anyone know how many Gerber shovels are made? I've seen several over the years.
Also, where is a source for the true authentic Spetznas shovels guys?

Dave L.
01-15-13, 11:21
I own the Gerber NSN folding shovel and the Glock folding shovel. IMHO, the Glock wins only because it has a saw in the handle. If we were just judging the tool as a shovel, I would say the Gerber would win. The Gerber is heavier, but Grunt-proof. Also, the saw in the Glock shovel's handle cuts fast and clean.

I have been meaning to pick up a couple of the Cold Steel reproduction WWII style E-tools with the small wooden handle. (http://www.amazon.com/COLDSTEEL-Special-Forces-Shovel-Hardwood/dp/B0017UVEW0/ref=pd_cp_hi_0)