PDA

View Full Version : "Hatchet" book series by Gary Paulsen

ASH556
10-03-12, 09:58
I'm "reading" (listening to in the truck on my work commute) the 4th book in this series. Borrowed from the local library. I have to say, it's pretty enjoyable for fiction and somewhat thought provoking. Anyone else read these?

karmapolice
10-03-12, 12:21
I've read Brians winter and the first Hatchet, it's been years though. I wasn't aware there was a whole series relating, I might have to check them out. I also really liked The Frog by Gary Paulsen, it is about a young man who inherits his uncles sail boat and gets sucked out further into the ocean than anticipated due to a storm and how he had to survive and find his way back home.

Koshinn
10-03-12, 13:40
Wow, I haven't even thought of that book since it was required reading in 5th grade.

I liked it back then, but that was over a decade ago and my memory of the book consists of a light aircraft, a heart attack, a windbreaker, a hatchet, a porcupine, and a decently happy ending (rescue).

obucina
10-03-12, 15:04
Wow, I haven't even thought of that book since it was required reading in 5th grade.

I liked it back then, but that was over a decade ago and my memory of the book consists of a light aircraft, a heart attack, a windbreaker, a hatchet, a porcupine, and a decently happy ending (rescue).

same here, I read it in 1993!

ASH556
10-03-12, 15:52
I've read Brians winter and the first Hatchet, it's been years though. I wasn't aware there was a whole series relating, I might have to check them out. I also really liked The Frog by Gary Paulsen, it is about a young man who inherits his uncles sail boat and gets sucked out further into the ocean than anticipated due to a storm and how he had to survive and find his way back home.

I'll have to check out "The Frog."

I called it the "Hatchet" series because there are 5 books now:

1) "Hatchet"
2) "The River"
3) "Brian's Winter" (alternate sequel to "Hatchet" where Brian doesn't get rescued as quickly and finds his way out)
4) "Brian's Return"
5) "Brian's Hunt"

t00sl0w
10-03-12, 15:57

Dude you arent lying....havent thought of that book since like 6th grade, whoa.

sent from my overcompensation tool known as the galaxy note

MookNW
10-03-12, 16:38
Read hatchet and the river in the 80s. Great stuff.

zombiescometh
10-10-12, 21:01
Another good one is "Guts" which is about his experiences and adventures.

JohnnyC
10-11-12, 00:01
I like to go back and read them every couple of years. It's interesting how my thought process and appreciation of things has changed as I get older and reread them.

When I was a kid I was enamored by the freedom aspect of the books, living alone, just you and nature, like camping, but I knew more than he did about outdoor survival when I first read it. I figured there would be no way I'm make the stupid mistakes he did, no way I wouldn't have a fire immediately, etc.

As I read them again throughout my teenage years up through my 20's to present, I've noticed my mentality towards him has changed. I considered myself lucky that I had those outdoor skills early, but I really started questioning the mental aspect of it and how I would have dealt with it were I to be in a similar situation. It's just interesting food for thought, the way your opinions of things evolve as you're dealing with the same material from a different perspective each time.

As for the second book, he was just a freaking idiot. He should have died. I thought that then and I still do to this day.

zombiescometh
10-11-12, 08:32
Do you mean "The River" or "Brian's Winter"? And why do you think that?

dmaxfireman
10-11-12, 10:39
One of my favorite books in middle school. Don't eat the berries!

Caduceus
10-11-12, 19:03
Great book, and pretty influential in some early thoughts towards survival. Read in about 1989 in 6th grade.

Never heard of the others. Read a couple other books by the author, but not those. Guess I'll check them out!

Magic_Salad0892
10-12-12, 14:52
Lol. This is weird. I just read Brian's Winter like 4 months ago.

TxRaptor
10-12-12, 15:01
I enjoyed reading this book in my younger days as well. I might as well re-read Ender's Game...

I've always remembered the description of how he trapped fish and have always wanted to try it out. However, living in southern California makes that one a little difficult.

JohnnyC
10-13-12, 23:17
Do you mean "The River" or "Brian's Winter"? And why do you think that?

The River.

It's a classic example of thinking you know what's going on and you've got it all figured out. Then it turns out you're an idiot and as great as you think you are mother nature has again shown you that you're not better than any other squirrel or insect or rock stuck in the middle of nowhere.