PDA

View Full Version : AAC muzzle brake and suppressor combo

denn1911
10-03-12, 10:53
Hi guys,

I'm interested in an AAC muzzle brake and suppressor combo for a 12.7" AR, chambered in 7.62mm. My intended purpose is range and defensive purposes. I've been researching and reading, but I haven't been able to make up my mind. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

nubs101
10-03-12, 11:05
I'd go with the SDN-6. They are very well built the only thing I can say about AAC is they build great products but if you ever have a problem be prepared to wait a while.

aecasasus
10-03-12, 11:10
I have a few AAC suppressors and they work excellent. IMHO, I recommend the 762SDN6. Very quiet suppressor and it can be used on multiple calibers and platforms...Mout's easy and is fully automatic rated as well.

Here's a link to one of my videos... It is a 300 Blackout but on all other platforms works as well. Hope it helps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMWVqbfFgQ4&feature=plcp

JasonM
10-03-12, 12:03
Yup, 762-SDN-6.

well-built, decent size, decent wait. Awesome materials.

Choice of flash hider, comp, or brake mounts.

Super versatile- 7.62, 6.8, 300BLK, 5.56, etc.

denn1911
10-03-12, 12:30
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like the 51T Muzzle Brake with 762-SDN-6 would be a good set up.

Ming_the_Merciless
10-03-12, 12:47
In the earlier part this year I was in the same boat as you, looking for a multi-caliber rifle can. I got on a pre-order list, after Shot Show, for an SR7. Back in February, the dealer said that they'd be shipping out in April, but that's been pushed back. From what information is available, it appears that internally the SR7 is the same as the SDN6, except they feature the new 90-tooth ratchet taper mounting system which would eventually replace the 51T as it did with the 18T system. So if you're wanting it now, or can find it, get an SDN6, otherwise be prepared to wait. From what I've gathered from the latest updates, looks like production won't occur until late this year or early part of next year. Pad in extra time for Form 3 transfer to dealer as well.

When I discovered the production delay would put the SR7 till next year, I did some research and I jumped ship. But not to an SDN6, but instead put the money towards one of those new Surefire 762RC cans that debuted back in May. Originally I dismissed the Surefire can because of the cost, and skipped the SDN6, because some folks had issues with it, well more specifically the 51T mounts exhibiting some on-axis rotational play. Some folks had issues with it, others did not, the one I've seen and shot were rock solid, but if you had one that did there is a fix by placing a slight taper, engagement surface on front of the mount/teeth. Which was my reasoning for ordering the SR7, but because of the delay, it turned out for the better as the more research I did the more I realized that even though the Surefire can was more expensive it was more suited for my use. Primarily to suppress a precision rifle - the OBR, and occasionally serve as a multi-cal can to suppress 5.56 or .300 BLK. So what was more important to me was a minimal POA/POI shifts suppressed v. unsuppressed, and if there is a marginal shift present - that it be at least consistent and repeatable. Downside is again your paying more, MSRP for the Surefire 762RC is $1800 while the AAC SR7 is $1200, and SDN6 is $1,000. But in my mind, spread the $1800 across three rifles (762, 300, and 556) and really that's only $600 per rifle. Additionally I was willing to pay more for their QD mounting system. From what I've seen thus far, the Surefire QD is the most evolved, optimized and robust mounting system on the market today that ensures consistent and fast lock up every single time. The most latest iteration of their design moved the ratcheting teeth to the suppressor and moved the indexing notch past the area where carbon fouling would accumulate allowing easy removal even with a heavy firing schedule.

To throw another one in the mix if SilencerCo came out with their 7.62 Saker, I would definitely consider waiting for that too, but then they aren't producing the 5.56 version yet either, let alone released any details on a 762 one. I am dreaming but my ideal 7.62 can would have Surefire QD mount, combined with AAC's beautiful circumferential welds on their baffle stack, topped off with SilencerCo's versatility to change out the rear cap/adapter to mate with any major competitor's muzzle device and removal front cap to facilitate making repairs easier for a minor baffle strike, would make for one hell of a can. But, again if you are in the market now, can't wait, get the SDN6, especially since the minimal POA/POI shift or consistent or repeated shifts wouldn't be important on your intended host SBR.

denn1911
10-03-12, 21:36
Thank you for the post, which has a ton of info in it. I was originally interested in the new Surefire set up. I've been saving for a while and am willing to spend the money on a more expensive combo. Since I'm new to the suppressor world, I'm overwhelmed with the quantity of info available. From what I read, this is addictive. Although I'm sure that I'll get more cans, I'd like to get the "best" combo to start with. Ugh, so many choices.