PDA

View Full Version : Stock struggle for 16" recce

bdiddle
10-03-12, 12:39
So yesterday I was shooting a rifle I put together a while back but haven't had the time to shoot until the past few weeks. I put it together as a sort of recce rifle, it is the only gun that I have that has magnified optics.

16" Rainier Select medium contour
12" MI SS rail
Geissele SSA
CavArms A1 stock

Nikon M223 2x-8x scope

Until yesterday the only thing that felt off was the balance, as the A1 stock is pretty light. However, I fond that I had to strain to get my head in the right position behind the scope. Specifically, I was pulling my head back away from the scope. I don't really like the A2 length stock for regular carbines, but for this rifle I think I need at least an A2 length. For grins I swapped a lower on this rifle that had a CTR on it, which extended fully is longer than an A2, and that also felt comfortable looking through the scope.

So basically, I don't know if I should should get an A2 stock, or get a carbine RE and use a CTR + riser or something similar.

Any suggestions for me? Is it normal to need a stock with that long of a LOP? For reference I am about 6' 1"

Thanks
Buff

Keith E.
10-03-12, 12:47
However, I fond that I had to strain to get my head in the right position behind the scope. Specifically, I was pulling my head back away from the scope. I don't really like the A2 length stock for regular carbines, but for this rifle I think I need at least an A2 length. For grins I swapped a lower on this rifle that had a CTR on it, which extended fully is longer than an A2, and that also felt comfortable looking through the scope.

Pics? Is it possible to move the scope forward? Other than scope eye relief and your feeling of front heaviness, how does the A1 setup feel?

Keith

bdiddle
10-03-12, 12:56
I guess the A1 feels fine, but I think it would be better if there was a riser on it. Here is how it sits.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae118/buffsforsalestuff/2012-10-03_11-50-41_62.jpg
http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae118/buffsforsalestuff/2012-10-03_11-50-13_923.jpg

a0cake
10-03-12, 13:48
Why not get a VLTOR A5 system to keep the rifle buffer firing characteristics and be able to adjust it however you like -- including A2 length and beyond?

MrSunday
10-03-12, 14:02
Yeah an A5 might solve your problem

wahoo95
10-03-12, 14:22
You could add a cheek pad to the stock....would most likely interfere with the charging handle though. Sounds like the issue may be you and your positioning rather than the gear.

bdiddle
10-04-12, 01:41
Well I decided to swap out to an A2 stock for now, going back to the range tomorrow to see how it goes.

Stickman
10-04-12, 15:50
Any suggestions for me? Is it normal to need a stock with that long of a LOP? For reference I am about 6' 1"

Thanks
Buff

This feels great to me, if you wanted it longer you could add the PRS extension pad.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%207/STCK2972-A-1200-Stick.jpg

bdiddle
10-04-12, 15:52
Well i shot it with both the a1 lower w/ ssa trigger and a stock A2 lower. My groups were actually better with the A2, so i moved the trigger over to that one.

Has anyone found ammo that shoots well through the Rainier select barrels? IMI .M193 seemed more accurate than ppu 75 grain

BrigandTwoFour
10-27-12, 14:47
Just curious, but are you stuck with a fixed stock based upon your location?

I run the A5 kit on both of my 5.56 guns, including one recce. I can't say enough good about it. A lot of guys like the weight balance provided by a UBR as well, and I will be using one on an upcoming .308 project.

bdiddle
10-27-12, 20:03
I am using a fixed stock merely because for the length of pull I like for bench shooting, my face tends to be mostly on the buffer tube with a collapsible stock setup.

I'll put up some pics of the groups the rifle is shooting, but with the A2 stock on it she shoots pretty well.

Kokopelli
10-27-12, 21:01
I have the same scope on a MT6700 and the LOP works for me on the bench; prone not so much. I'm 5/11 or so with long arms.. In the past with bolt guns I often extended the LOP, but not on the AR's.. I have the 1X4 version of that scope on my carbines (Rogers Super-Stoc) and they seem to work about the same for me. Pic included for scope reference.. Ron

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii309/Hohopelli/DSC09178.jpg