PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Pro mount

TheWaker43
10-03-12, 16:41
I have tried to read most of the threads about the Aimpoint Pro and they all seem to suggest changing the factory mount. I do not mind spending the money on a Larue or whatever but it will be a little while after I buy the Pro before I can afford one. So I will have to run it stock for a while. What exactly are the issues with the factory mount?

DacoRoman
10-03-12, 17:20
I have tried to read most of the threads about the Aimpoint Pro and they all seem to suggest changing the factory mount. I do not mind spending the money on a Larue or whatever but it will be a little while after I buy the Pro before I can afford one. So I will have to run it stock for a while. What exactly are the issues with the factory mount?

I'm running the stock mount. With a flip down buis it is perfectly serviceable. If you want to have the buis up, the mount essentially gives you an absolute cowitness so you'll have to use a large aperture to make it work well. E.G., I find that if I try to use a larue lt-103 with the mount, i need to look through the large aperture and use a absolute cowitness method to make it work. Some may find this view cluttered. The advantage for me though is that since I am used to just using irons, my cheekweld stays the same, and I naturally find myself looking through my BUIS when I aim the weapon. Again this works for me only using the large aperture. With something that only has a relatively small aperture, like the MaTech for example, it has to be a flip down, and then I keep it flipped down. Most people seem to like a lower third cowitness however, so a higher mount may be needed, but since my cheek weld and joint position sense has been developed using BUIS, an absolute cowitness weapon aiming technique works for me, but again I can only make that work (at speed) using a large aperture; but honestly it is still more comfy to have a flip down rear sight flipped down, which some disapprove of. If I try to use a lower cowitness method with an upright rear sight I find that the dot has to sit too high to clear the rear aperture, but then it screws up my typical cheekweld and the top edge of the rear aperture clutters my view and irritates my vision. Hope this helps.

Edit: it locks up well and tight with that torsion nut but I haven't checked how well it holds zero after being removed; some don't like that it juts out to the side, but it hasn't gotten in my way at all even when running a chest rig , doing transition to secondary drills etc.

ar911d
10-03-12, 22:20
I think many like to have the QD lever as opposed to the knob on the side. I use the factory mount personally and don't feel the need to change it. It has returned to zero every time I have removed it, which is probably around a couple dozen times because I remove it to practice with just irons on every range trip. The knob does stick out a bit on the side and may poke you occasionally depending on how you sling up, but for me it hasn't been an issue. For reference, it sticks out about as much as my mod 4 gunfighter CH, so if you like/dislike those, your feelings about the mount will likely be similar. Ultimately, I think it will boil down to personal preference as the QRPII is a fine mount functionally, but has some quirks that bother some but not others.

Sarge45
10-04-12, 00:12
For me, no issues with the factory mount. Rock solid and positive, repeatable lockup.