PDA

View Full Version : I am looking for a new hard shell.....

duece71
10-03-12, 18:08
All,
My old ski jacket (12 years) is starting to see some wear. It is not waterproof and I am leaning in that direction for the new jacket. Its intended use is outdoor activities (skiing, shooting, hiking, general use in severe weather) in the late fall through early spring. Gortex is not an absolute must but I would prefer something waterproof. I am looking at several different manufacturers (Arcteryx, Outdoor Research, Mountian Hardwear, OTTE gear, Patagonia). I am willing to spend some $$$$ as this hopefully will be the last hard shell I buy for quite a while. Any thoughts what people have been using would be most appreciated.

ggammell
10-03-12, 21:16
You really can't go wrong with anything from LL Bean. Great products at very reasonable prices over a broad product line. They will a have a jacket for you. And they come with lifetime warranty to boot. I have a closet full of LL Bean jackets.

mattw82
10-03-12, 22:00
During my search for the perfect hard shell, I've purchased 2 arctyrx, 1 mountain hardware, 2 North Faces, and 1 Outdoor Research. All being Gore Tex pro shell or performance shell with the exception of 1 of the north faces (hyvent). IMO, Arctyrx seemed to have the best workmanship, but all were very good quality. I ended up returning or selling all but my Outdoor Research "Furio". It came down to the way it fit me, just preferred it over the others and the pit zips from the underarm down through the torso turn it into a "Pancho" which I thought to be pretty nifty. It was also slightly cheaper.

JohnnyC
10-03-12, 23:23
Don't pass over hunting gear too. Check out Sitka stuff, they have some interesting designs.

duece71
10-04-12, 12:21
I looked at the OR Furio and the Arcteryx Alpha and Beta today. I also looked at a Marmot Gortex shell. I tried all of them on in both large and medium. The Arcteryx models seemed to be above the others in terms of construction and zipper use. The OR Furio was a nice jacket and the vent zip on the sides that went from the pit to the waist was a nice feature. The Marmot was just a basic Gortex shell that didn't have all of the rest of the features of the others. Research continues.

duece71
10-04-12, 12:26
Don't pass over hunting gear too. Check out Sitka stuff, they have some interesting designs.

Looks like good stuff, although with nothing other than a camo option, I will probably pass.

duece71
10-04-12, 12:29
During my search for the perfect hard shell, I've purchased 2 arctyrx, 1 mountain hardware, 2 North Faces, and 1 Outdoor Research. All being Gore Tex pro shell or performance shell with the exception of 1 of the north faces (hyvent). IMO, Arctyrx seemed to have the best workmanship, but all were very good quality. I ended up returning or selling all but my Outdoor Research "Furio". It came down to the way it fit me, just preferred it over the others and the pit zips from the underarm down through the torso turn it into a "Pancho" which I thought to be pretty nifty. It was also slightly cheaper.

How many layers did you find yourself wearing when you used the shells that you purchased? Would you move up one size? I have been told that the Arcteryx products tend to fit kind of large. The others you mentioned, not so much.

Hayduke
10-04-12, 13:07
I dropped the coin on an OTTE Patrol Parka and have never looked back. I spent 15 years in outdoor retail and have sold/owned lots of OR, TNF, DeadBird, Patagonia and the like and I think the OTTE lineup is head and shoulders above those. US Made is a plus for me as well.
Over the years I've tried a lot of pieces using the eVent laminate and I find it to be more breathable than gore-tex, especially in footwear.
Best advice I can give, try to at least try on the shells you are interested in. There are different cuts manufactures use, for example my alpine shell from Arc'Teryx fits much slimmer in the torso and shoulders than the OTTE shell of the same size.

duece71
10-04-12, 19:41
I dropped the coin on an OTTE Patrol Parka and have never looked back. I spent 15 years in outdoor retail and have sold/owned lots of OR, TNF, DeadBird, Patagonia and the like and I think the OTTE lineup is head and shoulders above those. US Made is a plus for me as well.
Over the years I've tried a lot of pieces using the eVent laminate and I find it to be more breathable than gore-tex, especially in footwear.
Best advice I can give, try to at least try on the shells you are interested in. There are different cuts manufactures use, for example my alpine shell from Arc'Teryx fits much slimmer in the torso and shoulders than the OTTE shell of the same size.

Yes, I did some of that today, mostly Arcteryx, some Marmot and OR and even a Patagonia model. OTTE looks very nice and is certainly with in the price range I am looking at. Where can someone try on an OTTE product? It looks like they have a few retailers out there but I have not seen actual "stores" that sell OTTE.

mattw82
10-04-12, 20:41
How many layers did you find yourself wearing when you used the shells that you purchased? Would you move up one size? I have been told that the Arcteryx products tend to fit kind of large. The others you mentioned, not so much.

I factored in wearing a light insulating layer such as a sweatshirt or light fleece. I am a medium across the board and all of the medium shells accommodated the use of light layering without feeling constricted. The arcteryx beta I had was a very athletic cut so that left me feeling a bit tight in the mid section with an extra layer if I wasn't keeping myself in shape. Going one size up allowed for a lot of extra layering but I never found the need for heavy layers here in the Pacific northwest, and I didn't care for all the extra material of the jacket bunching up. Where are you looking at buying from? I generally get most of this sort of gear from REI. The return/exchange policy has been wonderful for my picky self.

Moose-Knuckle
10-04-12, 21:10
Last hardshell I purchased was a Lowe Alpine Tour Gor-Tex from Sierra Trading Post for $150 with some major coupon/discounts as they retail for $499. Also picked up Mrs. Moose-Knuckle the Lowe Alpine Wilderness Gore-Tex for around the same price.

PatEgan
10-05-12, 00:37
I'm a big fan of my Arc'teryx Alpha LT from the LEAF line. I would check Backcountry.com and Steep and Cheap for these, as they frequently discount discontinued colors/styles.

Good luck,
Pat

duece71
10-05-12, 07:56
I factored in wearing a light insulating layer such as a sweatshirt or light fleece. I am a medium across the board and all of the medium shells accommodated the use of light layering without feeling constricted. The arcteryx beta I had was a very athletic cut so that left me feeling a bit tight in the mid section with an extra layer if I wasn't keeping myself in shape. Going one size up allowed for a lot of extra layering but I never found the need for heavy layers here in the Pacific northwest, and I didn't care for all the extra material of the jacket bunching up. Where are you looking at buying from? I generally get most of this sort of gear from REI. The return/exchange policy has been wonderful for my picky self.

I have been looking at REI, Backcountry, Altrec and some local stores. I was glad to be able to try on the Alpha and Beta at a local store. Some of the reviews I have been reading on line have said that the different cuts of the Arcteryx line can cause sizing problems. I like the looks and function of the Theta but trying to find one in stock has been tough.

duece71
10-05-12, 08:27
I'm a big fan of my Arc'teryx Alpha LT from the LEAF line. I would check Backcountry.com and Steep and Cheap for these, as they frequently discount discontinued colors/styles.

Good luck,
Pat

Yes, the LEAF line of products is very nice. I will look around and see what I can find.
Thanks.

mcmillanman5
10-05-12, 18:51
Arcteryx all the way!
I have several of their shells and they are the best imo. My alpha SV gets the most use, I use it for skiing and other winter/outdoor activities.

I have been using this same shell the majority of outings for the past 4 seasons all of which I have had season ski passes so it gets used a lot. I find the fit to be fairly true to size and typically only wear a softshell and a base layer underneath. The material and construction have held up well and I have not yet had the need to nikwax it.

Mine has the helmet compatible hood which is nice for really windy days on the mountain or in the rain. This was an expensive jacket but I have really liked it and if it were to wear out at some point (no signs of it now) I will replace it with another.

I own several other shells from TNF, Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, and Norrona. IMO arcteryx makes the best shell. Just an FYI backcountry.com has a sale that you can take 20% off any 1 full price item. If you are wanting a current model/ color this is a decent deal and they have a pretty good sale selection also. Hope this helps

duece71
10-06-12, 17:54
Arcteryx all the way!
I have several of their shells and they are the best imo. My alpha SV gets the most use, I use it for skiing and other winter/outdoor activities.

I have been using this same shell the majority of outings for the past 4 seasons all of which I have had season ski passes so it gets used a lot. I find the fit to be fairly true to size and typically only wear a softshell and a base layer underneath. The material and construction have held up well and I have not yet had the need to nikwax it.

Mine has the helmet compatible hood which is nice for really windy days on the mountain or in the rain. This was an expensive jacket but I have really liked it and if it were to wear out at some point (no signs of it now) I will replace it with another.

I own several other shells from TNF, Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, and Norrona. IMO arcteryx makes the best shell. Just an FYI backcountry.com has a sale that you can take 20% off any 1 full price item. If you are wanting a current model/ color this is a decent deal and they have a pretty good sale selection also. Hope this helps

This is very tempting, may have to pull the trigger.

mcmillanman5
10-06-12, 19:25
Also if it makes any difference Backcountry has an awesome return policy so if you don't like something all you have to do is ship it back. I have purchased a ton of stuff over the years from there and steep and cheap.

Omen
10-07-12, 12:35
I love my Arc'teryx Beta AR. Been caught in a few downpours with no worries whatsoever. Durable material, rolls up easily, and the hood adjusts quick. You will have to layer for warmth.

duece71
10-07-12, 13:19
I went with the Arcteryx Theta SV in medium. I took advantage of the 20% off at Backcountry. Great deal, over $110 off retail. Free 2 business day shipping as well. Thanks to the heads up on the BC 20% off.

mcmillanman5
10-07-12, 20:50
Nice! That looks like an awesome jacket, let us know how it is.

duece71
10-10-12, 09:51
Will do, it should be on my doorstep at the end of the day. Glad its coming too, its started to get a little nippy and rainy here in Central OH.

orpheus762x51
10-10-12, 18:50
I've had my Arc'teryx LEAF Alpha for going on two years now, and I have to say it is hands down the best Goretex jacket I've ever had.
The shoulder pockets come in handy more often than you'd think and the way they design their hoods is extremely useful (adjustments for the height of the bill, the tightness of the crown, and the front opening).
Whatever fabric they use for the interior is also pretty genius; when wearing nothing more than a t-shirt underneath, it doesn't leave your skin feeling clammy.
The reason I went with the Alpha over the Alpha LT is because having the ability to stow my hood was important to me.
I'm sure I'm probably overlooking some other details, but the bottom line is: If you are looking for the ultimate waterproof shell, rock the dirty bird.

duece71
10-12-12, 14:10
All,
I recieved my Arcteryx Theta SV jacket via Brown Van and what can I say. I am extremely impressed with the quality of manufacture and the attention to detail. I am excited to see how the Gortex Pro shell stands up to the elements. I like the "pit zips" feature as it allows for extra ventilation when needed. I am 6'1" and 175lbs and I got a medium. Be careful about the sizing, these jackets (Theta) tend to run large. There is plenty of room for layering and if I were only going to wear a T shirt underneath, I would have gone with a small size. I did a lot of research when choosing a size, mostly by reading the customer reviews on a dozen different websites. I found the sizing chart on the Arcteryx website slightly confusing, but the extra commentary from various customers really helped. If you are in the market for a shell jacket, Arcteryx should be in your choices.