PDA

View Full Version : General purpose AR

Koshinn
10-03-12, 19:10
http://i.imgur.com/N72w2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9lY6L.jpg

Lower
Noveske Gen2 stripped chainsaw/blem lower - I like the integrated trigger guard, the flared mag well, and that it's forged
G&R LPK - One of the best available!
Geiselle G2S trigger - Extremely good value in terms of feel, reliability, and price. No reason to get an SSA if a G2S is available.
Norgon ambi-catch - I don't think this is actually needed, but I had an extra one so I threw it in.
Noveske end-plate - I like attaching my sling to the end plate.
BAD-CASS-ST - Best short throw ambi safety selector on the market in my opinion. I've tried most of them.
Magpul MOE+ grip - Pretty much perfect for me. I've also tried many pistol grips and this just feels right.
Magpul CTR - Swapping this to a STR, which is currently in the mail.
Springco blue CS buffer spring - I have one in my SBR and it works great, so I got another one for this rifle. It's a wear item that I can replace less-often than a standard buffer spring.
H1 buffer - I'll tweak depending on what ammo I primarily shoot.

Upper
VLTOR MUR - Forged upper, strengthened in key areas. I found out that the front part of the MUR is actually different from the Noveske-marked MUR. The first 1/2" of the MUR after the threads for the barrel have pretty much mil-spec dimensions. The first 1/2" of the Noveske-marked MUR does not have mil-spec dimensions. I'd imagine this is so if you purchase a MUR, you can use your rail's anti-rotation or just use your rail if it overlaps the front of the MUR.
LMT BCG - Got it at a good price. Good quality.
Rainier/AXTS Raptor CH - Interestingly, I just happened to have one laying around that I got on sale and haven't used. The only thing that isn't ambi on this AR is the bolt release/catch, which could be fixed with a Magpul BAD, but I don't think I'll use one. I'd consider using one.
Centurion mid-length fsp rail - My absolute favorite rail. I've held many. Also very light weight.
PSA/FN CHF 16" mid-length barrel, lighter weight profile - Fantastic value (1/2 the price of a Noveske FN CHF 16" mid-length barrel), debatable performance. We'll see, I guess.
Battlecomp 2.0 - It's a 16" mid-length, maybe I'll get a bayonet one day. Or a Gemtech Halo.
Magpul MBUS2 rear sight - Light weight, durable, good value, and it just works.
Trijicon TA33 - Green horseshoe model. Got a good deal on this (~$800 new). Lower magnification than a TA31, but great eye relief (my biggest complaint about the TA31) and light weight.
Magpul AFG2 - I like this a lot. I originally disliked it, but after using it a bit, it really has grown on me.

Not pictured:
Surefire G2L in VLTOR offset mount - In the mail with the other things in this list. I personally like the tail switch activation better than a X300 and I like the 1:30 placement on the rail (right handed shooter).
BFG VCAS padded sling with QDs in coyote - Forgot to attach it for the picture but I actually have this in hand. I used a VCAS when I deployed and I loved it, so I bought my own.
Magpul STR in FDE - Apparently very strong if you drop it, can hold a few batteries for the G2L, and has a great cheek weld.
Magpul PMAGs - Good mags.

My idea was to make a general purpose, light weight, high reliability rifle that didn't break the bank. I feel this serves that purpose, but I haven't weighed it and I haven't figured out what I paid.

Thoughts/suggestions/ideas?

Oh, the Magpul XTMs are foliage green, olive drab green, flat dark earth, and urban dark earth. No black panels used. And the paint is Aervoe coyote with a light dusting of Krylon khaki.

fallenromeo
10-04-12, 11:22
Very nice choice of parts. How do you like the PSA barrel?

Dsully
10-04-12, 11:38
Nice rifle. Have you shot it prone resting on the mag yet? My gen 2 will not lock the bolt back on the last round. Works fine in any other position but prone. If my rifle is not rested on the mag in prone, it locks back.

Koshinn
10-04-12, 12:02
Nice rifle. Have you shot it prone resting on the mag yet? My gen 2 will not lock the bolt back on the last round. Works fine in any other position but prone. If my rifle is not rested on the mag in prone, it locks back.

What ammo, barrel length, and buffer are you using?

I'm zeroing and testing Saturday, will be trying wolf 223, pmc 223, and federal xm193. I'll be sure to see if it locks back when resting on the mag.

And if I remember, I'll take pictures of groupings.

Dsully
10-04-12, 12:18
I'm using a 14.5" Daniel Defence barrel with Federal Gold Medal 223 Remington 77 Grain Sierra MatchKing Hollow Points. At first, I thought it was the buffer because I was using a H3. But I switched to the H2 and H1 and still had the problem. It's also a carbine length gas system.

It only happens when I have it resting on the mag

eboggs
10-04-12, 18:20
Nice looking stick!

Have always wanted an Acog, budget just wont allow it, jealousy is a bitch.

clmarshall21
10-04-12, 18:46

My Noveske Gen II locked back on all of the factory ammunition that I ran through it using the "magazine mono-pod" technique from a bench. My setup is an 18" barrel / Rifle Length Gas / H Buffer / and P-Mags. I have used nothing but P-Mags and all of mine have worked so far. If you haven't already, give a P-Mag a shot. Hope you can get it figured out.

OP, Very good looking build and very good choice of parts. I too am interested to know how you like the PSA (FN) barrel once you get some rounds through it.

jesuvuah
10-04-12, 18:56
nice build

Dsully
10-04-12, 19:07
My Noveske Gen II locked back on all of the factory ammunition that I ran through it using the "magazine mono-pod" technique from a bench. My setup is an 18" barrel / Rifle Length Gas / H Buffer / and P-Mags. I have used nothing but P-Mags and all of mine have worked so far. If you haven't already, give a P-Mag a shot. Hope you can get it figured out.

OP, Very good looking build and very good choice of parts. I too am interested to know how you like the PSA (FN) barrel once you get some rounds through it.

12 different pmags used. All the mags work in all my other ARs. If you google gen2 and pmag prone position, you will see it happens to others as well with their gen2

Koshinn
10-04-12, 20:57
Just tested by removing my upper. If I monopod it and pull into my shoulder, it fails to lock back. But if I put forward pressure (like loading a bipod), it works fine. This is only with pmags. GI mags work fine.

Dsully
10-05-12, 03:38
Just tested by removing my upper. If I monopod it and pull into my shoulder, it fails to lock back. But if I put forward pressure (like loading a bipod), it works fine. This is only with pmags. GI mags work fine.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try that. Back to that rifle... I think I may have to paint one of mine. :)

Koshinn
10-06-12, 15:13
Monopoding, Pmag doesn't lock back with any ammo, pushing forward or back. Locks back on last round standing with xm193 on lancer, Pmag, and gi mags. Does not lock back on last round with any mag, standing or prone, with pmc bronze 223. This is with a h1 and blue spring.

For pmc, I might need to run a carbine buffer... But 193 should be ok with the current build... A very very soft shooter.

The gas port is definitely not oversized.

deviljon
10-27-12, 01:16
Man that color combo just works.

jesuvuah
10-27-12, 05:23
nice build

masakari
10-27-12, 11:49
Great looking general purpose rifle. Have you considered adding a light to it? I am a firm believer that every defensive or combat rifle should have some sort of lighting device on it.

Koshinn
10-27-12, 18:27
Here is an updated picture, but with the ta33 instead of the exps. http://i.imgur.com/mEkE8.jpg