PDA

View Full Version : October 3, 1993

Sam
10-03-12, 19:41
Don't forget to have a moment of silence to reflect and pay respect to the 18(+1) members of Task Force Ranger that loss their lives in Mogadishu 19 years ago.

Safetyhit
10-03-12, 19:45
Never changed my avatar out of respect. Just keeping them around in my own humble way.

SteyrAUG
10-03-12, 19:47
Thanks for the reminder. I thought I was having a shitty day dealing with some bullshit out in the heat. With that day in mind, mine wasn't so bad.

Larry Vickers
10-03-12, 19:59
I knew all the Unit guys killed that fateful day and Matt Rierson was a very good friend of mine - actually earlier that year a mutual friend of ours in the Unit was killed in a skydiving accident ; 6 months later almost to the day I lost Matt too

1993 was the darkest year of my life for those reasons; what makes me feel proud is tactics, techniques, and equipment that was vetted and tested with blood, sweat and tears is being used today overseas by US military personnel and have no doubt saved countless lives - this is a direct result of lessons learned on the streets of Mogadishu in October 1993

May they rest in peace

LAV out

lethal dose
10-03-12, 20:02
Those men died not in vain.

Sam
10-03-12, 20:16
Thank you Larry for your service. I'm sorry for the loss of your close friends.

Heavy Metal
10-03-12, 20:37
Larry,

I am sorry about the loss of your Brothers in Arms.

I assure you, their noble sacrifice is not forgotten!!

SeriousStudent
10-03-12, 21:31
Sam, thank you for the reminder.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the fallen warriors, their familes and friends.

Magic_Salad0892
10-03-12, 22:16
Can't thank 'em enough. Bunch of badasses.

Mr. Vickers: My deepest sympathies for your lost friends. Thank you for your service, as well.

Sam: The reminder is much appreciaed.

These are the men we should admire.

CoryCop25
10-03-12, 22:26
Hard to believe that it has been 19 years!
I don't share my personal life on the interweb but I will say that I was enlisted in the Army in January of 1993 (delayed entry program) and I failed my English literature class as a senior in high school. I always think that if I didn't fail that class and had to go to summer school, I may have been in Somalia. One of my biggest regrets in life is that I never got to serve my country as a member of the armed forces. This is why I have respect for all those who served.
THANK YOU ALL!

rojocorsa
10-03-12, 23:35
RIP

Thank you for the reminder.

ICANHITHIMMAN
10-04-12, 06:14
Wow it really brings it home when you see guys that post here all the time who lived through it and lost buddy's. I was just a kid then, It's great to know that the lessons they learned on that day helped to keep me alive overseas. RIP brothers.

rojocorsa
10-04-12, 21:59
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/548547_10151210649812733_213754565_n.jpg

Super 64

SteyrAUG
10-04-12, 22:30
Hard to imagine that next year will be 20 years. Seems like I was just watching the aftermath on the news only a few years ago. Ironically in 1993 Vietnam seemed like it happened a lot longer than 20 years prior.

Magic_Salad0892
10-05-12, 00:22
I feel like something about the 90's will always make it feel like it was yesterday.

usmcvet
10-05-12, 21:03
Thanks for the reminder Sam. Larry, thanks for sharing with us. I was fresh out of the Marines and remember my blood boiling and screaming at the TV. I will forever hate CNN for their coverage.

rojocorsa
10-05-12, 23:54
Thanks for the reminder Sam. Larry, thanks for sharing with us. I was fresh out of the Marines and remember my blood boiling and screaming at the TV. I will forever hate CNN for their coverage.

I was one year old and living in a foreign country at the time, so

What did CNN do or not do?

Sam
10-06-12, 10:12
They showed the savages mutilating and dragging the bodies of Blackhawk crews and the two Delta troopers.

Mjolnir
10-06-12, 10:53
I make a point on the first of each month to pray for that have been lost and pray daily for all who are actively (and passively) involved in the various campaigns we are involved in.

Stay safe, guys!

usmcvet
10-06-12, 12:21
I know it is easy to sit at home and talk tough. I was ****ing outraged because the kept showing the bodies of Master Sergeant Gordon and SFC Shughart being dragged through the streets. I wanted to kill the bastards on both sides of the camera. I know I was not alone.

Moose-Knuckle
10-06-12, 15:10
I know it is easy to sit at home and talk tough. I was ****ing outraged because the kept showing the bodies of Master Sergeant Gordon and SFC Shughart being dragged through the streets. I wanted to kill the bastards on both sides of the camera. I know I was not alone.

I know my hatred for Clinton grew exponentially, I can only imagine what Reagan would have done had he witnessed that while sitting in the Situation Room.

RIP Warriors.

Safetyhit
10-06-12, 15:54

The entire city could have been napalmed after the withdraw and personally I would have been delighted. But even though we lost them so horribly, it's still not too late for the napalm (or a reasonably effective substitute).

montanadave
10-06-12, 16:27
I can only imagine what Reagan would have done had he witnessed that while sitting in the Situation Room.

Why, because he was such a bad-ass in avenging the deaths of those servicemen lost in the Marine Corps barracks bombing in Beirut?

Moose-Knuckle
10-06-12, 17:11
Why, because he was such a bad-ass in avenging the deaths of those servicemen lost in the Marine Corps barracks bombing in Beirut?

Dave, in the spirit of this thread’s intentions let’s not derail it. If you would like to discuss the Regan administration then start another thread. I did not mention him in my post to initiate one.

montanadave
10-06-12, 17:29
Dave, in the spirit of this thread’s intentions let’s not derail it. If you would like to discuss the Regan administration then start another thread. I did not mention him in my post to initiate one.

Agreed. My bad.

I meant no disrespect to those servicemen who lost their lives. May they rest in peace and their sacrifice be honored.