PDA

View Full Version : Colt BCG exterior finish help

peckerhardpowderdry
10-03-12, 23:48
Hi guys...I have a quick question pertaining to the exterior finish of a Colt BCG pulled from a new Colt MT6400. I searched for a while and I was unable to locate anything specific to my question. As you can see from the attached pictures, there exists a light area of color/finish on the bottom of the bolt carrier. It appears as if it exhibits a "smoke appearance" which is definitely a character of the metal and cannot be removed. Another small area on top of the bolt carrier presents the same but to a lesser extent. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why this is and if the integrity of the bolt carrier is compromised in any way, as evidence by an exterior finish that is not uniform. The BCG has not yet been fired. Any help will be very much appreciated, if nothing more than to put my mind at ease. Thank you in advance.

VIP3R 237
10-04-12, 00:11
It could just be a discrepancy in the dye during the finishing process. Honestly i would contact Colt first and see what they have to say.

peckerhardpowderdry
10-04-12, 00:32
Yes I may give them a call. I was just inquiring to see if anyone here may have experienced this with their own weapons or if there was an exact reason for it. But it appears as you stated, seeming to be some of the color/finish didn't quite take in that specific spot, if that makes any sense. If I knew it was simply cosmetic, which it appears to be, I would be GTG.

Texas_Mike
10-04-12, 00:41
Yes I may give them a call. I was just inquiring to see if anyone here may have experienced this with their own weapons or if there was an exact reason for it. But it appears as you stated, seeming to be some of the color/finish didn't quite take in that specific spot, if that makes any sense. If I knew it was simply cosmetic, which it appears to be, I would be GTG.

It is strictly cosmetic. The carrier was most likely not cleaned properly prior to the phosphate process.

peckerhardpowderdry
10-04-12, 01:00
Thank you very very much for the replies. I was hoping it was just cosmetic which is what my gut told me. I tried to compare it to the LE carbines my department utilizes but those carriers are olive drab in color and seem to have a different finish, although I could be wrong. I actually have another MT6400 on layaway at my LGS. I gave it a quick once over in the store before I made a down payment. When I have it in my hands next month and tear it down for a cleaning, I will compare and report back. Once again thanks for all your help, it is appreciated.