PDA

View Full Version : Glocks: US vs Austrian manufacture

Slater
10-04-12, 18:41
I bring this up because it was a topic of conversation at work, and there were opinions pro and con. If I understand correctly, Glock is manufacturing at least some of their models entirely here in the US. We were talking about this, and a colleague remarked "Great. There goes quality right down the toilet".

I honestly don't know enough about current Glocks to have an opinion one way or the other. I have a US made Beretta M9 and an Italian-made M92A1, and the fit, finish, and performance of both seem pretty well even. A Glock 17 is on my wish list, though.

With the understanding that an "A" vs "B" comparison is often unrevealing, has there been enough feedback to notice if the US-made gun is the equal of the Austrian version?

will_be
10-04-12, 18:49
I just picked up a US made G19 to go with my Austrian made 17 & 26 purchased earlier this year. I am by no stretch an expert on Glocks and have relatively few rounds through them when compared to some of my other weapons. My first impression is that the US made 19 feels "tighter" out of the box for whatever that is worth. Otherwise I can see no difference between them cosmetically or otherwise. Have not put any rounds through it, will be doing a session this Saturday. Take it FWIW.

ritepath
10-04-12, 19:27
I've never understood the idea that America can't make quality parts and assemblies. Especially when thinking of all the gun companies located here in the states that put out quality products. My NH p229 seems to be made pretty damned well IMHO.

Maybe they should start making the Taurus here. :rolleyes:

Nephrology
10-04-12, 19:36
I just picked up a US made G19 to go with my Austrian made 17 & 26 purchased earlier this year. I am by no stretch an expert on Glocks and have relatively few rounds through them when compared to some of my other weapons. My first impression is that the US made 19 feels "tighter" out of the box for whatever that is worth. Otherwise I can see no difference between them cosmetically or otherwise. Have not put any rounds through it, will be doing a session this Saturday. Take it FWIW.

How does one tell teh difference? Are the US made ones now all stamped "USA" or were there some made here that still had the old rollmarks?

Fire_Medic
10-04-12, 19:43
How does one tell teh difference? Are the US made ones now all stamped "USA" or were there some made here that still had the old rollmarks?

The US made proof mark if you will, is an outline of the state of GA with a "P" in it; (pictures borrowed from another forum for illustration purposes, they are not mine, nor is it my gun, they were posted by an employee of Ed's public Safety on another open forum):

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w120/weagle4848/IMG_0169-1.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w120/weagle4848/IMG_0171-1.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w120/weagle4848/IMG_0170.jpg

RockBottom
10-04-12, 20:38
I bring this up because it was a topic of conversation at work, and there were opinions pro and con. If I understand correctly, Glock is manufacturing at least some of their models entirely here in the US. We were talking about this, and a colleague remarked "Great. There goes quality right down the toilet".

I honestly don't know enough about current Glocks to have an opinion one way or the other. I have a US made Beretta M9 and an Italian-made M92A1, and the fit, finish, and performance of both seem pretty well even. A Glock 17 is on my wish list, though.

With the understanding that an "A" vs "B" comparison is often unrevealing, has there been enough feedback to notice if the US-made gun is the equal of the Austrian version?

So, does this guy admit he sucks at his job? If he doesn't, why not - he's working in the USA, right? Guys with opinions like this based on no facts at all are idiots. Sorry, I don't know the guy, maybe he's great, but I'll pull back a little and say it's an idiotic comment at a minimum, even if the guy overall is okay. He's probably one of the guys complaining why companies don't make stuff in the US too, right? Sorry, these kind of comments annoy the heck out of me.

will_be
10-04-12, 20:54

As Fire Medic pointed out, USA on the slide, US on barrel, Made in USA on frame & GA"P" proof marks on all three pieces. Other than that I can't tell a difference.

brushy bill
10-04-12, 21:47
Not saying it's true, but I definitely understand where it comes from...think Chrystler K Car, Ford Pinto, S&W SIGMA, SIG USA, etc.

RockBottom
10-04-12, 22:02
Not saying it's true, but I definitely understand where it comes from...think Chrystler K Car, Ford Pinto, S&W SIGMA, SIG USA, etc.

LOL! Really? The K car and Pinto? How far back are we going. You can probably give similar examples for any country. And the Glock G4 problems started with their Austrian made models. If you apply that type of logic no place makes anything good.

montrala
10-05-12, 04:47

Add BMW X5 first gen to this list. Almost killed BMW quality status in Europe.

But usually this problems are coming more from management level and how is production and quality assurance process organized, cost policy, investment level in machinery required, etc, than from peoples ability to work good or bad.

We had (partially still have) this problem in Poland after commie times, that everything "made in Poland" is junk and "made in someplace-else" is great. This mentality can live for generations harming local economy.

I'm buying a lot of US made parts and some are plain junk while other looks like made for space shuttle. Same applies to things "made in Germany", "made in Philippines" or even "made in China". Ability to make quality (or poor) stuff is not geographically restricted.

BTW Similar question is often asked at HKPro about German and US made HK45 and HK45C. And answer seem to always be: "both are equally good, no premium for German made guns unless there just is less of those around".

samuse
10-05-12, 09:11
Glock's pistols are already half-assed.

I don't see how making 'em here would be a change either way if they still have the same out of spec slides and junk extractors.

Bluto
10-05-12, 09:29

I have a software distribution company. We implement ERP software for manufacturing and distribution companies throughout the U.S. And world wide. We have been doing this for 12 years And I have seen American manufacturing from many fields and angles. I have also seen manufacturing in Germany, china, Korea, etc. and have not seen the dedication Americans put into their products replicated anywhere in the world.

Given the choice between an Austrian or American manufactured gun, I will without hesitation take the American. Not just out of a sense of American pride, but because Americans produce a better product.

MattHallman
10-05-12, 09:29
Called Glock yesterday and they informed me that they are exactly the same pistol, just made here.

CAVDOC
10-05-12, 12:39
as I understand it the reason for setting up production in the US is to get around some improt export regs for other countries. essentially the US made guns are made primarily to export elsewhere not for the domestic market.

TiroFijo
10-05-12, 14:18
Now that they are making complete pistols in USA, are there any plans to make the G25 (cal 380) locally? It cannot be imported because of the dumb BATFE point system but it could be made in USA.

No need to put serrated triggers on compacts like the G19/23 anymore, they were there for the same point system.

Perhaps the american made guns will someday get steel sights too instead of plastic, one can dream...

brushy bill
10-05-12, 17:40
LOL! Really? The K car and Pinto? How far back are we going. You can probably give similar examples for any country. And the Glock G4 problems started with their Austrian made models. If you apply that type of logic no place makes anything good.

I provided older and more current (SIG USA, SIGMA) examples. Won't make an ad naseum list. Prefaced it with "not saying it is true." Merely stated I understand where the perception comes from. Esp when you consider you can't even find domestically manufactured versions of many products once commonly produced in the US. Many reasons for this, but can contribute to the perception that US can't compete...here's an example...why did the Govt have to bail out both GM and Chrysler...is it because they were producing a terriffic car at a great price with long term reliability and a great marketing strategy? Probably not and I'm not looking for an answer. Again, there are multiple interacting reasons for this, but it doesn't take a vivid imagination to appreciate how this can contribute to idea US manufacturing ain't what it was.

brushy bill
10-05-12, 17:42

I don't see how making 'em here would be a change either way if they still have the same out of spec slides and junk extractors.

Good point

brushy bill
10-05-12, 17:44
Now that they are making complete pistols in USA, are there any plans to make the G25 (cal 380) locally? It cannot be imported because of the dumb BATFE point system but it could be made in USA.

No need to put serrated triggers on compacts like the G19/23 anymore, they were there for the same point system.

Perhaps the american made guns will someday get steel sights too instead of plastic, one can dream...

Hope this is true...I hate buying new trigger assemblies everytime I get a G19 or G26 and sights that are more than "slot fillers" would be nice. Maybe we can lose the finger grooves as well.

packinaglock
10-06-12, 15:02

I have heard this out of spec slide comment a few times. While I could see it being possible I would think Mr Lee would have picked up on this while investigating a fix for the problem gen 4's.

SPDGG
10-06-12, 15:38
imho:

Glock = Glock

fwiw: If I had to choose between USA vs. Austria, BUY = USA
Reason: I get mine, Firearm & Glock Manuf. USA Worker = Has a living.

samuse
10-06-12, 17:41
I have heard this out of spec slide comment a few times. While I could see it being possible I would think Mr Lee would have picked up on this while investigating a fix for the problem gen 4's.

I think he did.

I'm pretty sure he advocated lowering the ejection port too.

brushy bill
10-06-12, 19:01
I'm pretty sure he advocated lowering the ejection port too.

That's my recollection as well.

Mjolnir
10-06-12, 19:10

Satellites, nuclear carriers and subs, superb fighter aircraft...

hatidua
10-06-12, 19:14
I'd be curious to know if the finish/coating is the same regardless of country of manufacture...?

QuietShootr
10-06-12, 19:28
I think US grown designs have a tendency to be better made when they're made here. The AR, for example - Colt is the gold standard, and for a reason. The LMT MRP/MWS, world beater.

Now - US made foreign guns? Not so good so far. SIG went into the shitter when they started making them here. Beretta - yeah. You ever **** around with an Italian 92 next to a US 92? How about a MSAR compared to an original Steyr AUG?

I'll keep my Glocks Gen 2 or 3 and Austrian until I have more data than I have right now.

Slater
10-07-12, 10:00
You hear various things about Glock over the Errornet, one being that they don't use the Tennifer process any more. True? I have no idea.

PLCedeno
10-07-12, 16:59
Satellites, nuclear carriers and subs, superb fighter aircraft...

Jeep Grand Cherokee & Wrangler, Ford Mustang GT and S&W M&P 40. Just to keep it simple.

Ark1443
10-07-12, 17:15
A glock is a glock to me. Though my current one is from Austria, I would have no issues buying one made in the USA.

Trajan
10-07-12, 17:21
I thought that the USA made Glocks were for foreign markets the Austrians couldn't sell to?

ruthless
10-19-12, 02:00
I have a software distribution company. We implement ERP software for manufacturing and distribution companies throughout the U.S. And world wide. We have been doing this for 12 years And I have seen American manufacturing from many fields and angles. I have also seen manufacturing in Germany, china, Korea, etc. and have not seen the dedication Americans put into their products replicated anywhere in the world.

Given the choice between an Austrian or American manufactured gun, I will without hesitation take the American. Not just out of a sense of American pride, but because Americans produce a better product.

That's surprising. I thought German would of been at the top.