PDA

View Full Version : How do you "Break in" a new barrel

cstierhoff
02-07-08, 11:52
Hey, All,
I was reading some assembly instructions and the following statement was made. "After assembly, you are ready to shoot your new rifle. Remember to properly break-in your rifle’s new barrel."

How do you "Break In" a new barrel?

CS

markm
02-07-08, 11:59
Depends on what kind of barrel. If it's a chrome lined AR barrel, you really don't do anything other than shoot it.

DocMinster
02-07-08, 12:29
I agree if it is Chrome Lined OR SS..No break in is necessary.

cstierhoff
02-07-08, 12:38
OKay...and if it isn't chrome lined or SS?

markm
02-07-08, 12:45
OKay...and if it isn't chrome lined or SS?

Then I'd get the Manufacturor's recommendation for your barrel. I.E. go to Shilen's website and search for recommended break in, or contact them direct.

There are many various methods. Fire one shot, clean, repeat, etc.

SHIVAN
02-07-08, 13:12
What is the intended purpose of the barrel?

The only weapons I worry about proper break-in with is "precision" rifles.

If I want the barrel to be super precise, and easy to clean to keep the copper or lead fouling down, then I break it in using the instructions usually found by googling "rifle barrel break-in"...

Paulinski
02-07-08, 13:58
Which cleaning product should be used when breaking in stainless steel precision barrel? One shot clean procedure.

Failure2Stop
02-08-08, 06:23
Interesting conversation here about barrel break-in from Gale McMillan (who apparently knows a thing or two about guns).

>Linky (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=12582)<

It certainly changed my beliefs in barrel break-in.

altav
02-08-08, 07:41
Clean it. Have a fun day at the range shooting it. Clean it when you get home.

DM-SC
02-08-08, 14:26
I did the "shoot 1...clean...shoot 1...clean" for 25 rounds. Then "shoot 10...clean...shoot 10...clean" till I got to 100 rounds (105, actually).

PITA but, it's what was recommended by the manufacturer. It's not like doing it is going to ruin the barrel. ;)

Redmanfms
02-08-08, 15:58
I did the "shoot 1...clean...shoot 1...clean" for 25 rounds. Then "shoot 10...clean...shoot 10...clean" till I got to 100 rounds (105, actually).

PITA but, it's what was recommended by the manufacturer. It's not like doing it is going to ruin the barrel. ;)

No, but it doesn't serve any other purpose than to bring the rifle that much closer to service life.

I've never seen a faithfully executed barrel break-in result in better groups. You'd be better off using those 105 shots working up a good load for the rifle.

RogerinTPA
02-08-08, 18:31
Depends on what kind of barrel. If it's a chrome lined AR barrel, you really don't do anything other than shoot it.

Agreed. I read that only the most finely tuned custom barrels need the 1 shot, scrub the shit out of it, shoot another, repeat a dozen or more times method to break in that type of barrel. And that method was started by barrel makers to get you to wear out your barrel faster through over cleaning it. Personally, spending the time to properly zero your iron sights and red dot scope with good ammo will tell you if its shooting accurate or not.

When I competed in both match grade .22 cals (city and state) and M1A1 events at Ft. Benning and Camp Perry, we never cleaned our weapons until the end of the shooting season., firing anywhere from 3 to 4k rounds or more for practice and competition. Only cleaning the bolt face and chamber when it crudded up too much. Shoot 1000 rounds in a short period of time, without cleaning it and if nothing brakes, (Trigger components, BCG, Bolt, cam, firing pin, extractor, etc...) and still maintain a good zero, consider the weapon broken in. Don't forget the lube of your choice.

sgtlmj
02-08-08, 18:40
Interesting conversation here about barrel break-in from Gale McMillan (who apparently knows a thing or two about guns).

>Linky (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=12582)<

It certainly changed my beliefs in barrel break-in.

+1

I quote that whenever someone asks about break-in.

22_Shooter
02-12-08, 22:52
Damn, I know I'm very limited in the AR world of knowledge, but EVERY site/forum/etc. has said to follow "X" barrel break-in procedure. So assuming I get a good AR, with a chrome lined barrel, barrel break-in is not needed? If so, that's great.

Robb Jensen
02-13-08, 06:12
Damn, I know I'm very limited in the AR world of knowledge, but EVERY site/forum/etc. has said to follow "X" barrel break-in procedure. So assuming I get a good AR, with a chrome lined barrel, barrel break-in is not needed? If so, that's great.

Others don't know what they don't know.

No barrel needs breaking in, chrome lined or not. A barrel can either shoot or it can't.

LTPhoon
02-13-08, 08:47

Did that with my DPMS .308. !05 rounds as well. What a pain in the patungas, yup...a labor of love, though.

22_Shooter
02-13-08, 13:27
Others don't know what they don't know.

No barrel needs breaking in, chrome lined or not. A barrel can either shoot or it can't.

That's awesome. Glad to hear it here, thanks.

M193 BALL
02-13-08, 18:08
I DO BELIVE IN breaking in a AR15 before useing for Protection
All My AR`S have been Chrome Lined
I like shoot around 1000rds of M193/M855/75/77OTM

My Bolt Action Rifles I just add a scope and zero in
Thats what I did with my HIGLY ACCURATE 222rem
I clean after each day of useing
ALWAYS WORKED FOR ME

FOR the most part I think its BS

but thats my Country boy outlook
Been shooting 35+ years
not counting BB guns :D

Redmanfms
02-13-08, 18:13
I DO BELIVE IN breaking in a AR15 before useing for Protection
All My AR`S have been Chrome Lined
I like shoot around 1000rds of M193/M855/75/77OTM

Barrel break in and "breaking in" aren't the same animal.

SHIVAN
02-13-08, 18:33
So then these guys who say that the early cleaning process reduces lead & copper fouling are full of crap??

I guess I gave some people too much leeway. :eek:

Only thing I was ever concerned with, was keeping fouling down. Fouling can lead to poor groups. Especially on rifles where you measure 100yd groups in fractions of an inch.

However, if they are full of crap the 2 rifles I've "broken in" will be my last, ever.

Even my Noveske barrels, I just shot them, then cleaned them. :eek: :eek: