PDA

View Full Version : New AR build

Okiegunner
10-04-12, 23:11
Hello Guys,

A few weeks ago I made my first post on this forum. At the time (and I still am) I was really new to the AR platform. I had not touched an AR/M16 type rifle in 42 years. I have owned (and still do own)an AK/AKM type for many years now.

I was looking for a little guidance from you folks who are more famalier with this rifle, and their builders than I was. Man!! For what I suggested...You would have thought I had offered to shoot someone's dog or burn their house down! Anyhow, I took the comments with a grain of salt and moved forwards.

I wanted a solid, decent, base rifle in order to refamilerize (sure this was mis-spelled) myself with this platform. Anyhow, I ordered a Del-Ton 316 Echo H Barell.

The rifle I received (BTW for $650.00) was a very tight fit. Machining was very good. The one 30 rd. mag I received was a grey teflon coated C-Products, LLC. It looks identicle to my BCM magazines. Anyhow, been to the range 1/2 dozen times, and this little carbine works flawlessly.

I digress... This thread is not about the virtues of the Del-Ton.

I have a LMT Defender lower (LEO marked, but thats just some extra cool, got lucky)

I spoke with Nick from "Riflegear" today. They have a upper receiver...Daniel Defense made receiver, low profile gas block made by YHM, and a CL CHF barell made by "FN"!! for $379.00

I don't know about you guys (maybe you are more informed or have better sources than me) but... DD, YHM & FN for $379.00!!

Granted, you will need a CH, a BCG and some rails. Most of us probably have some of these that could be parted with.

Anyhow, I think for myself, I will add some YHM rails and a Troy front and rear MBUS.

Plumber237
10-07-12, 20:57
FWIW...We tested out some YHM handguards where I work, and I was not very impressed with them. For the price I think that there are some better choices, Midwest Industries or Troy for example, this is just based off my personal experience with some equipment from each of these companies.

SpankMonkey
10-07-12, 21:04
Go shoot the rifle for a year (4000 to 6000 rds) and get back to us. You will learn a crap ton about you rifle. Until than, glad you picked up a cheap rifle, now go shoot it.

DeltaSierra
10-07-12, 21:12
Awesome.

You came here, and against all the good advice you received, you bought a sub-par piece of garbage, and now you are coming back, to ask about buying another item of questionable quality.... Wonderful...

Here is what I'm gonna suggest for you. Buy whatever makes your little heart happy, and move on.

YHM isn't exactly high quality either....

Hmac
10-07-12, 21:22
DelTon might serve just fine as a low-round-count range toy.

Tzook
10-07-12, 21:30
Ehhh.... DelTon might not serve very well as anything

rackham1
10-07-12, 21:58
Specifically why is Del-ton subpar? No need to convince me... I have BCMs. Just that someone I know thinks his Del-tons are bitchin and if asked I'd like to articulate why the community doesn't agree.

DeltaSierra
10-07-12, 22:07
Specifically why is Del-ton subpar? No need to convince me... I have BCMs. Just that someone I know thinks his Del-tons are bitchin and if asked I'd like to articulate why the community doesn't agree.

Quality of the barrel steel, twist rate, etc.

Not to mention that they have a rather poor track record as a company.

Here is something for you to read....

http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0Ajl2UPK0UHPscHdzd2hlZ2hOUXNFdUVoakZ3UHJnVEE&single=true&gid=5&output=html

rackham1
10-07-12, 22:32
Ah, The Chart. Haven't read it for a couple years (for several reasons) but I see it's changed a bit. Thanks for the refresh.

Split66
10-07-12, 23:26
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw.htm