PDA

View Full Version : New AR owner

cotton617
10-05-12, 12:46
Just picked up a Colt 6920MP-FDE (black receiver) today. This is my first AR and I really only know the extreme basics (how to load and shoot). So I have a few questions.

1. What do I need to do to the rifle before going to the range for the first time, if anything?

2. What is the preffered brand and grain of ammo for 5.56 in my weapon?

3. I read all the stickies, great information but does anybody know of any VIDEOS that clearly and accuractely show proper breakdown and cleaning of my rifle (or similiar ones)?

Thanks guys!!

10-05-12, 13:32
1. Read the manual. It will point out where to apply lube. Many here use 10W-30 motor oil. CLP, FrogLube, MG's lube, all will suffice. Do not use WD-40 or RemOil. Lubing is all that you should need to do.

2. What your rifle "prefers" may be diff. than others. Start and continue with quality ammo. Many issues with AR's are ammo related. Federal and Winchester White box(can be found at Wally World) are fine. I prefer IMI but can't find it right now; and Federal over the WWB. 55gr.-77gr. should work fine. Search M193 and M855; both widely used. I prefer the M855.

3. For videos check out Viking Tactics and MagPul.

4. Find a quality Basic Carbine class and take it. Will make all the diff. in the world. No video can substitute for hands on from a quality instrutor. EAG Tactical, TigerSwan, Viking Tactics, Kyle DeFoor, Northern Red, Jason Falla, Trident Concepts, CSAT(Paul Howe), Larry Vickers, and Dave Harrington are all excellent instructors.

JR TACTICAL
10-05-12, 13:43
Go on YouTube, there are a ton of great videos on there, just type in what your looking for.... Such as ar15 cleaning or ar15 disassembly/re-assembly

Packman73
10-05-12, 14:14
+1 for youtube. Welcome to the forum.

KarbonChemist
10-05-12, 15:46
Youtube video is a great start

MrRightWing
10-05-12, 16:00
Do not use WD-40 or RemOil.

What's so bad about Rem Oil?

DeltaSierra
10-05-12, 16:46

Maybe because it doesn't stay put, as the viscosity is so high....?

I-M4-REAL
10-05-12, 17:24
The 'search' button works wonders here on m4c.net it IS your manual!!!

currahee
10-05-12, 17:59
Here is a vid I put together, covers basic operation and maintenance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjhal3Q-adk)

I would recommend taking it down and putting it back together a couple of times before you take it to the range, lube it.

I would recommend Lake City XM193 for break in and storage but for most shooting any factory ammo is fine

cotton617
10-05-12, 19:12
I use Ballistol to clean and lube my glock (as well as the barrel). Will ballistol be okay for my 6920?

DeltaSierra
10-05-12, 19:19
I use Ballistol to clean and lube my glock (as well as the barrel). Will ballistol be okay for my 6920?

There is no reason why Ballistol will not work on the 6920.

Atlshaun
10-05-12, 19:28

I use ballistol and its very good stuff but Froglube, IMO, is the premier lube for the AR platform. I simply love it.

10-06-12, 00:07

Maybe that it sucks DONKEY BUTT!!!!!!

MistWolf
10-06-12, 00:42
ARs will run fine on RemOil but it's very thin and doesn't last very long. There are much better choices.

Field strip your rifle and give it a good visual inspection. Check for defects and proper staking of the castle nut on receiver extension and staking of the carrier where the gas key mounts to it. If you are comfortable with disassembling the trigger & hammer, do so and apply a bit of grease or Never Seez to the sears & pins. Lubing the trigger & hammer will go a long way to smoothing the pull and make it more consistent. Check to be sure the barrel & chamber are free of any debris or preservatives. Liberally oil your bolt carrier group

nc_556
10-06-12, 01:07
Any lube is better than no lube but some lubes are simply better than others. By better, in terms of lubrication, it tends to mean they maintain their lubricating properties longer and tend to be more resistant to temperature or friction breakdown. Search the forum. There are tons of threads on lubes. Without advocating one vs the other, cause we don't want this to become one of "those" threads, some of the more popular ones are:

Froglube, Slip 2000, Slip 2000 EWL, CLP, Weaponshield, FP10, M Pro 7, Ballistol, and good old Mobil 1 10W30 Synthetic.

You'll see a lot of people argue and debate the merits of these until the cows come home. Any of them should hold up better than RemOil meaning you will be able to run the gun harder without having to reapply as often to keep it running reliably. You can probably run with RemOil but will find you need to reapply often to keep your rifle from running dry.

Personally I use the Slip products and Mobil 1 with some TW25B here and there. They work and I have them. I would use whatever is handy and could hold up decently (basically any of the above) if I didn't have these. I have a tub of Froglube and am intrigued to try it given all the favorable feedback on it here on m4c, but I've just been too lazy to apply it properly.

I find it hard to get emotional over lube...

Seagunner
10-06-12, 01:29
Go on YouTube, there are a ton of great videos on there, just type in what your looking for.... Such as ar15 cleaning or ar15 disassembly/re-assembly

I'll 2nd youtube. Especially known websites..With all those basic questions, keep reading... after searching.. just a headsup.. ammo you can shoot and ammo you want to stock up on are 2 different things depending on the range you can shoot at. This is not really a "I'm a new guy to Ar's" forums place to go. You need to read and have a basic knowledge of your firearm and its function before you post.... or you will be eatin'

nc_556
10-06-12, 01:33
Just picked up a Colt 6920MP-FDE (black receiver) today. This is my first AR and I really only know the extreme basics (how to load and shoot). So I have a few questions.

1. What do I need to do to the rifle before going to the range for the first time, if anything?

2. What is the preffered brand and grain of ammo for 5.56 in my weapon?

3. I read all the stickies, great information but does anybody know of any VIDEOS that clearly and accuractely show proper breakdown and cleaning of my rifle (or similiar ones)?

Thanks guys!!

1. Lube it and check the barrel to make sure it's clear. Check safety function. Check all basic functions. It's a new Colt so will be unlikely to have any issues but it's not a bad habit to develop for new rifles.

2. Start off with 5.56mm (as opposed to .223). M193, XM193, M855, XM855, and the like. This will all be Federal or Lake City (also Federal incidentally). Being a Colt it will probably shoot anything but being a Milspec rifle it will love Milspec ammo. Keep in mind most indoor and some outdoor ranges won't allow M855/XM855. Once you've put a bunch of 5.56mm ammo through it try some good .223 Rem ammo too.

3. As others have mentioned YouTube is great. For (dis)assembly I would also recommend the "Gunsmithing the AR15" video from MidwayUSA. It's a how to build video but I found it gave me very detailed knowledge of how an AR15 platform goes together and works.

4. While you're shooting the ammo zero it. Read the sticky on battle zeroing, think about how you will be typically using your new rifle, make a plan, and get it zeroed properly.

5. Get a good sling. A good AR15 needs a good sling.

Nice rifle choice btw...:) enjoy!

Seagunner
10-06-12, 02:02
I wish shooting 5.56 was as easy to shoot as it was when I was 12. So it wasn't 5.56, but it was black powder. Still you just finished your homemade strawberry icecream, walked out into the backyard, and joined your Dad, Uncles and Grandpa at the back fence. No big deal knocking out 20 rounds out into the pasture across the strawberry fields. Where did those days go

samuse
10-06-12, 07:54

samuse
10-06-12, 07:55
I wish shooting 5.56 was as easy to shoot as it was when I was 12. So it wasn't 5.56, but it was black powder. Still you just finished your homemade strawberry icecream, walked out into the backyard, and joined your Dad, Uncles and Grandpa at the back fence. No big deal knocking out 20 rounds out into the pasture across the strawberry fields. Where did those days go

They rotted away like wood grips off a rusty 1911.

MassMark
10-06-12, 08:18
Congrats on your new rifle - way to start strong out of the gate. A couple of years ago I was picking up some tailpipe at my local auto parts store and noticed bottles of 'Lucas Gun Oil' near the cash register. I bought a bottle and have been using it ever since. It stays put, lubricates great and lasts through a lot of abuse. I think if they gave it a more fancy tacticool name and took the deer off the bottle it would be all the rage... ;)

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?catid=2&iid=27&loc=show

cotton617
10-06-12, 08:22
You guys are awesome thanks for all the help. What websites have good deals on 500 / 1000 rounds? sgammo? bulkammo?

Also what are some good slings?

10-06-12, 09:49
You guys are awesome thanks for all the help. What websites have good deals on 500 / 1000 rounds? sgammo? bulkammo?

I have to admit I like my Vickers VCAS (I've heard the Magpul MS3 is pretty good as well). But I'm sure you'll get a bunch of different options

samuse
10-06-12, 10:08

I like to order from sgammo. They don't always have the cheapest price, but they've never messed up an order (knock on wood), ship very quickly and they actually package the case in a box.

I also like VCAS slings.

nc_556
10-06-12, 10:14

Search this site for ammo source recommendations. I use LuckyGunner, sgammo, bulkammo.com, sometimes Cabelas, and an LGS.

The more popular slings are the Vickers VCAS, Viking Tactics VTAC, and Magpul MS3. Hit up gandrtactical.com and check what they have. Grant, the owner, is a major contributor to the m4c community and you can't do anything but yourself a favor by ordering from his site. He stocks all the good stuff at very good prices.

midSCarolina
10-06-12, 17:06
Good choice with the Colt for the first purchase. My first purchase was a Colt 6920 but I traded it for a Desert Eagle and it was the worst decision I ever made (I was 18 at the time). I did not know much about ARs so I then with Olympic Arms and Bushmaster. The Bushy served me well but I just wasn't satisfied. I am personally an LMT and LWRC guy now but I categorize Colt with LMT.

All you need to do before you take a factory rifle out is take the BCG and charging handle out and lube it (don't lube the firing pin). My ex-GF was sniper qualified in the US army and I spent a lot of time learning weapon. She said that the easiest way to oil is hold the BCG in the hand and pool oil in your palm and then rub it down... make sure you get it on the moving parts and springs. It will be good to go. Congratulations on the purchase.

cotton617
10-08-12, 16:01
OK guys got a couple more questions.

1. I just bought the Magpul MS3 sling at a local gun store, what else am I missing to be able to actually use it? Like I need an attachment point on the receiver somehow right? The only attachment point I have right now is the factory d-ring under the barrel at the end of the handguard. All the package came with was the actual sling.

2. Cleaning. All that came with my rifle was the 4 peices of rod that thread together, the chamber brush, bore brush, and a nylon brush I'm assuming is for inside the bolt carrier. Now I can't really use the nylon brush and bore brush because I have no way of spinning the rod because I don't have like a T-Handle or something I can grab. Also, what do you guys use for running patches down the barrel, just those 4 sections of rod with a slotted tip?

Also looking for a good product to clean the gas tube with! A q-tip fits perfect into the gas tube section attached to the bolt carrier but I need someway to clean the gas tube attached to the receiver.

Does anyone have a link to a good cleaning kit or good cleaning accessories?

Thanks

cotton617
10-08-12, 16:27
All you need to do before you take a factory rifle out is take the BCG and charging handle out and lube it (don't lube the firing pin).

The sticky here about cleaning says to lighty lube the firing pin...just saying?

LTMattyL
10-09-12, 12:30

1. I just bought the Magpul MS3 sling at a local gun store, what else am I missing to be able to actually use it? Like I need an attachment point on the receiver somehow right? The only attachment point I have right now is the factory d-ring under the barrel at the end of the handguard. All the package came with was the actual sling.

2. Cleaning. All that came with my rifle was the 4 peices of rod that thread together, the chamber brush, bore brush, and a nylon brush I'm assuming is for inside the bolt carrier. Now I can't really use the nylon brush and bore brush because I have no way of spinning the rod because I don't have like a T-Handle or something I can grab. Also, what do you guys use for running patches down the barrel, just those 4 sections of rod with a slotted tip?

Also looking for a good product to clean the gas tube with! A q-tip fits perfect into the gas tube section attached to the bolt carrier but I need someway to clean the gas tube attached to the receiver.

Thanks

Pick your poison for a sling mount: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Sling-Swivel-Mounts-s/63.htm

Basics on how to clean your rifle: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35490

Don't stick anything in your gas tube.

Do lots more reading. Most of the answers you need can be found using the search button.

Dan46n2
10-09-12, 20:00
Find someone that knows what they are doing and learn from them, reading some books wouldn't hurt either.

nc_556
10-12-12, 00:43
The gas tube is pretty much self cleaning. Don't mess with it. You're more likely do more harm than good trying to clean it.

Work the search function for this site. At this point everything you are asking has been asked and answered in thread somewhere on this site.

Iraqgunz
10-12-12, 01:05
Out of curiosity. Was your ex-GF a "sniper" with a B4 identifier or was she as designated marksman. Second, where did you get that nonsense about not lubing the firing pin?

Good choice with the Colt for the first purchase. My first purchase was a Colt 6920 but I traded it for a Desert Eagle and it was the worst decision I ever made (I was 18 at the time). I did not know much about ARs so I then with Olympic Arms and Bushmaster. The Bushy served me well but I just wasn't satisfied. I am personally an LMT and LWRC guy now but I categorize Colt with LMT.

All you need to do before you take a factory rifle out is take the BCG and charging handle out and lube it (don't lube the firing pin). My ex-GF was sniper qualified in the US army and I spent a lot of time learning weapon. She said that the easiest way to oil is hold the BCG in the hand and pool oil in your palm and then rub it down... make sure you get it on the moving parts and springs. It will be good to go. Congratulations on the purchase.

Iraqgunz
10-12-12, 01:07
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLEAN THE GAS TUBE. ALL YOU WILL DO IS SCREW SOMETHING UP. THE ONLY WAY TO CLEAN IT IS TO SOAK IT IN CARBON CUTTER OR OTHER CHEMICALS.

Thanks

500grains
10-12-12, 10:57
The gas tube is pretty much self cleaning. Don't mess with it.

I always wondered why Brownells sold those long pipe-cleaner things for cleaning gas tubes. Maybe so that they can follow up with the sale of a new gas tube.

MassMark
10-12-12, 11:10
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLEAN THE GAS TUBE. ALL YOU WILL DO IS SCREW SOMETHING UP. THE ONLY WAY TO CLEAN IT IS TO SOAK IT IN CARBON CUTTER OR OTHER CHEMICALS.

This itself should be a sticky...

I always wondered why Brownells sold those long pipe-cleaner things for cleaning gas tubes. Maybe so that they can follow up with the sale of a new gas tube.

That's a good possibility...

A couple of years ago, I had a new shooter on the line with a Bushmaster M4gery... At round number 28, the gun disassembled itself. Buffer retainer let go. A few weeks later, he was back. This time he took a shot, then 'click', actioned the gun, aim, fire, 'click - rinse, lather, repeat. I called cease fire and asked him if he'd like me to take a look at it. Sure enough - pipe cleaner in his gas tube... :rolleyes: