PDA

View Full Version : American Eagle .223 Brass Issue

LtNovakUSA
10-05-12, 19:29
I have a large amount of LC head stamp (07-09) .223 brass originally coming from the 200 round American Eagle 55gr bulk boxes - and upon attempting to re prime them I have found that the primers go in incredibly easily - i was able to almost fully seat one just by pushing a primer in with my fingers. I assume I should not attempt to use these? Has anyone else had found this? (These are once fired cases from the factory loadings)

mic2377
10-05-12, 21:00
I have also had a problem recently with Federal brass. As AE is Federal's budget line, I am sure they are probably using it to get rid of out-of-spec LC brass.

I had a run of cases that required virtually no pressure to seat the primer. I tossed them as I don't want blown out primers floating around inside my gun. These were once-fired cases and headstamp was "FC 223 Rem"

HackerF15E
10-06-12, 07:22
I have also had a problem recently with Federal brass. As AE is Federal's budget line, I am sure they are probably using it to get rid of out-of-spec LC brass.

I had a run of cases that required virtually no pressure to seat the primer. I tossed them as I don't want blown out primers floating around inside my gun. These were once-fired cases and headstamp was "FC 223 Rem"

How would FC headstamp brass be 'out of spec' LC? Do you think they pull batches of formed-but-unstamped brass from the normal Lake City government contract line, and stuff that doesn't cut it gets sent down a different FC line?

That does not make sense in any way whatsoever.

Sticks
10-06-12, 08:11
Yes it does.

Sell the out of spec brass as low end ammo is financially better than ditching the lot for recycle. I have no doubt whatsoever that the Corp-rats making the decisions do that with everything.

Already spent the money making the item, if it does not meet the standards of [insert name brand here] then re-label it as something else and still get our sales out of it.

ST911
10-06-12, 08:54
Components that don't make a tighter spec will be used in other skus with a lower one. They will load what's available when they need it, especially when production lines are running hard.

In AE .223, I've seen mil and commercial brass, a variety of headstamp configurations, including Speer. AE is generally okay, but anticipate that it will vary.

cinco
10-06-12, 12:46
I have a large amount of LC head stamp (07-09) .223 brass originally coming from the 200 round American Eagle 55gr bulk boxes - and upon attempting to re prime them I have found that the primers go in incredibly easily - i was able to almost fully seat one just by pushing a primer in with my fingers. I assume I should not attempt to use these? Has anyone else had found this? (These are once fired cases from the factory loadings)

Do these "LC" head stamped cases also bear the "Nato Cross"?

I know from research that the non-Nato Fed. American Eagle .223 have a reputation for loose primer pockets though.

LtNovakUSA
10-06-12, 13:14
No they dont. Just L C 0 (7-8-9) stamped around the case at the 12 - 3 - 6 and 9 o'clock.

I know from research that the non-Nato Fed. American Eagle .223 have a reputation for loose primer pockets though.

robfromsc
10-06-12, 15:27
Sounds like they were crimped and someone removed the crimp and didn't know what they were doing. Or your primers are wrong, doubtful. Trash the brass ,its cheap and easy to find.

cinco
10-06-12, 16:51

No they dont. Just L C 0 (7-8-9) stamped around the case at the 12 - 3 - 6 and 9 o'clock.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

So, we (meaning someone more knowledgeable than myself :)) can help you, gotta a couple of questions for you...

1. Were these verified one-time fired cases? Did you buy the value pack and fire them yourself?

2. Did you de-prime them and happen to notice if they were crimped?

3. If crimped, did you or someone else swage them (if so what tool was used)?

If yes to #1 and no to #3, probably just a case of AE loose primer pockets as I've read.

markm
10-08-12, 08:30
What cinco said....

This doesn't make sense. I've found that the 3, 6, 9, and 12 o'clock headstamped brass definitely gets loose primer pockets faster than the more heavily head stamped brass.

The more there is stamped on the head, the more work hardening there is to the case head.

That said... more facts needed. Who removed the crimp? How?, etc.

What primers?

LtNovakUSA
10-10-12, 06:16
Primers used were winchester small rifle. I originally bought the ammo and fired them (mostly out of a BCM and Noveske AR). Did not do anything to the primer pockets (other than decap it) as there was very little to no crimp in them to begin with.

markm
10-10-12, 07:40
That's very strange. I have some red box AE .223 with LC brass dated 06... and that stuff has some of the tightest pockets and hardest crimps I've ever messed with.

I'd just recycle the brass and move on.