PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question of the day regarding bcm charging handle latch...

Bluto
10-05-12, 23:09
Can the latch on the bcm charging handle be replaced?

If I have a (broken) ch with a medium latch and a new one with a small latch, can I put my medium latch on the new one?

Is there anything structurally different in the handles themselves that would prevent this swap?

Typos courtesy of jack daniels...

SomeOtherGuy
10-05-12, 23:40
I think the latch itself is the only difference and you could make the swap.

However, if you broke the Gunfighter CH using anything other than machine tools, I think BCM would likely warranty it and replace it for free.

JHoward
10-06-12, 00:09
I was actually considering starting this thread last night. I have a Mod 4 latch, and I was thinking I may want to try a Mod 3. I know new CH's aren't that expensive, but it'd be cool if I had one of each latch to try out!

10-06-12, 00:18
How the HE!! did you manage to break a gunfighter CH?

Kain
10-06-12, 12:51
How the HE!! did you manage to brake a gunfighter CH?

:lol: That made my day.

Though seriously, how did it break? My first thought was that you broke the latch, though I am not sure if that is how it meant to be read. If you did actually break the latch then you have most sincerely impressed me and I beg to know how in the hell you did manage that particular trick.

Bluto
10-06-12, 13:26
How the HE!! did you manage to brake a gunfighter CH?

I was waiting for this to come up...

I didn't notice it fell from a shelf and slammed it with the safe door. Even if BCM would warranty it, I couldn't possibly take advantage of their kindness for my stupid mistake...

No doubt that the CH is extremely well built. You just can't beat the combination of 100 pounds of swinging momentum and drunken stupidity. :suicide:

I figured I would try out a new one with the small latch size, but would like to know if I could put the medium latch from the broken CH in case I didn't like the small one.

Kokopelli
10-06-12, 13:28
I was waiting for this to come up...

I had it out and slammed it with the safe door. Even if BCM would warranty it, I couldn't possibly take advantage of their kindness for my stupid mistake...

No doubt that the CH is extremely well built. You just can't beat the combination of 100 pounds of swinging momentum and drunken stupidity. :suicide:

hahahahahaha.. They might just for kicks! Cheers.. Ron

bleaman225
10-06-12, 15:47
I bent one at a carbine class 2 years ago.

I had actually tripped on the 2x4 "foot" of an obstacle and was trying to control my body and muzzle as I was, ever so gracefully, on my way to a running belly flop. The only thing I can figure is the latch got caught on my chest rig and pulled the BCG slightly out of battery somewhere in the midst of my grace and it twisted the handle. No ND or injury, I was told that despite my embarrassment, I kept things safe by the AI who was lucky enough to watch the entire event. I didn't notice at the time that anything was wrong with the handle since cleared that gun and swapped to my backup gun I brought along. It did clear and I didn't realize it was twisted.

Anyhow, at home, when I decided to clean the plug of dirt out of the muzzle it became apparent something was askew. Yanked it out of the upper and looked at it "Holy SHIT!! It's twisted!?!" I ended up contacting BCM so they could check it out; not in an attempt for a refund more like, look what I just did. Paul was amazed and asked me to send it in to him. I did. A day after I mailed it, a new one showed up at my door.

That's my Saturday afternoon entertainment for you guys. Moral of the story is be aware of your muzzle and BCM is a great company. They will always get my business.

bleaman225
10-06-12, 16:05
The two latches should swap back and forth.