PDA

View Full Version : Who wants a Famas?

alvincullumyork
10-07-12, 14:51
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=309735713#PIC

SmokinGunMP5
10-07-12, 15:38
Makes me wonder if the rumors are true about FAMAS being produced in the states soon...hmmm.

DeltaSierra
10-07-12, 15:55
Makes me wonder if the rumors are true about FAMAS being produced in the states soon...hmmm.

What rumors would you be referring to?

Haven't heard anything of the sort. If you have any sources for this, please share them, since I am quite interested in this...

SmokinGunMP5
10-07-12, 17:12
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1374352_US_made_FAMAS_for_2013_.html&page=1&anc=bottom#bottom

Abraxas
10-07-12, 17:17
Don't want one that bad.

STG77
10-07-12, 17:29
Don't want one that bad.

I'd bet the final auction price is $10,000 - $12,000.

Look at the sellers other auctions, someone died...

Celt
10-07-12, 17:45
Not me.

Ned Christiansen
10-07-12, 18:59
I had one..... on order and paid for. $1100, and that was a big stretch back then, I must have wanted it pretty bad! Wish I had it now but my understanding was that they were caught up in customs for a very long time.... there was a school shooting in CA..... next thing I knew, no FAMAS for you, Mr. C.

A couple years ago I consulted with a guy in France who was trying to correct some problems with the design. I invited him to come here where we could work on it together-- we would buy one when he got here. It wasn't in the budget.

KBAR-04
10-07-12, 19:06
I had one, sold for 12K last year...Nowhere near the quality of my AUG
http://i46.tinypic.com/16ar7ll.jpg

filthy phil
10-07-12, 20:59
Very cool

SteyrAUG
10-07-12, 23:26
I would want one because...

1. I don't have one.

2. Years spent looking at them in SOF and saying "some day..."

But I'd have to really have struck it rich to pop $10k or more on one. And I'd have a PSG1 long before I'd have a FAMAS.

Just hard to spend $10k or more on a semi.

MH64
10-08-12, 00:10
The French are replacing the FAMAS with a Austrian/Australian AUG???

Right!

Ak44
10-08-12, 01:37
It would be nice to have money to spend on a FAMAS simply for the fact that you don't see them in person. And you can't simply just make a clone. But as stated above, it is alot of money to spend on a "semi" rifle.

bondmid003
10-08-12, 01:42
Yeah definitely looks like an estate auction

DeltaSierra
10-08-12, 01:48
The French are replacing the FAMAS with a Austrian/Australian AUG???

Right!

Exactly...

Not believing, 'til I'm seeing....

ICANHITHIMMAN
10-08-12, 05:53
I will get one if I ever have to instate my fall back plan and that's good enough for me

Ned Christiansen
10-08-12, 08:23
I'll bet the FAMAS does get replaced, very soon. They are no longer made and I got the impression that support and knowledge of the system is dwindling. Betcha they'll be buying something Stoner-esque, maybe something made on their side of the pond.

GNXII
10-08-12, 08:56
If the FAMAS does go "bye-bye" I betcha HK is lining up to submit a 416 to the French military for trials, off sets with a contract for production in France etc. etc. Here we might even see parts kits or something along those lines.

fallenromeo
10-08-12, 10:37
Not for that price. No thanks

SteyrAUG
10-08-12, 12:56
Not for that price. No thanks

The speculation is that those guns would come here as parts kits and be assembled on a US receiver using 922r compliance parts. But unless they find a way to come in and keep the factory barrel I'm not really interested.

MountainRaven
10-08-12, 13:03
Even if the US barrels were made by FNM or DD?

;)

Doc. Holiday
10-08-12, 14:36
FAMAS's have got to be one of the ugliest gun designs in my opinion. I love bullpups but really...a FAMAS? I've got a few other rifles I would rather own for $10K.

SteyrAUG
10-08-12, 15:25
Even if the US barrels were made by FNM or DD?

;)

That would require a situation like the manufacturer coming stateside and setting up with the assistance of an existing firm like Steyr did. Somehow I don't see that happening.

I suspect it will be more like what happened to the Galil parts kits.

Ned Christiansen
10-08-12, 16:20
Yeah, I'm sure the caller ID at the French procurement office is showing "416" all the time.

As tp parts kits / reconstituted FAMAS on the US market, three words, "in a heartbeat"!

Steyr, I'm curious why barrels would be a complete turnoff for you?

SteyrAUG
10-08-12, 17:26
Steyr, I'm curious why barrels would be a complete turnoff for you?

If it was a situation like Steyr where Sabre or FN barrels were used that would be wonderful. If it was a situation like the Golani Sporters where Z grade non chrome lined US barrels were used, I'll pass.

MountainRaven
10-08-12, 19:11
I wouldn't limit it to the Golani. Pretty much every long arm imported into the US bereft of a barrel ends up with a crappy barrel... that happens to be made in the US.

(I actually don't think the barrel was a deal breaker on the Golani. It was the combination of worn out parts kits poorly assembled on crap shoot quality receivers that made it horrible, IMHO.)

bondmid003
10-08-12, 19:23
I can't see the French allowing parts kits to be exported to the US as MAS is a state owned company now. They aren't the most gun friendly country in the world and I'm sure the thought of FAMAS' parts kits being assembled in the US for the civilian market would make their bleeding hearts explode.

MountainRaven
10-08-12, 19:46
The same government that gleefully supplied arms and armament to such paragons as Baathist Iraq?

They need the money, besides. They're involved in the Euro crisis and new guns aren't free.

How else can you have a Colt 6920 named 'Washington' and a FAMAS 'Lafayette'? :P (And an H&K MR556A1 named 'von Steuben'.)

SteyrAUG
10-08-12, 19:52
I wouldn't limit it to the Golani. Pretty much every long arm imported into the US bereft of a barrel ends up with a crappy barrel... that happens to be made in the US.

(I actually don't think the barrel was a deal breaker on the Golani. It was the combination of worn out parts kits poorly assembled on crap shoot quality receivers that made it horrible, IMHO.)

It was just an example to answer a question. And you are spot on with your general assessment.

bondmid003
10-08-12, 22:20
The same government that gleefully supplied arms and armament to such paragons as Baathist Iraq?

They need the money, besides. They're involved in the Euro crisis and new guns aren't free.

How else can you have a Colt 6920 named 'Washington' and a FAMAS 'Lafayette'? :P (And an H&K MR556A1 named 'von Steuben'.)

We are talking apples and oranges brother. The French are most certainly not above supplying arms to governments no matter how shady they are. Shoot they have sold radar and air to air missile technology to countries that are considered enemies of the free world. But that is a far cry from allowing arms in to the hands of civilians that they feel should be unarmed in the first place.

Sad but I have a feeling the French government would rather see a third world army supplied with their old FAMAS's then see them end up in our hands. So to stay on topic, I just don't see it happening due to the politics involved.

mashed68
10-08-12, 22:24
I don't care if its semi or full auto, $10k for a single rifle is absurd, especially for a gun that you have just to have and doesn't have massive historical background like say a garand.

Magic_Salad0892
10-08-12, 23:03
I see them adopting either the HK416, or the Diemaco C8 in it's place.

And on the FAMAS import thing, even if you did get a lame American non-chrome lined barrel, you could always just polish and nitride it, and have a decent barrel. Plus, there'd be no gas port issues.

alvincullumyork
10-16-12, 13:22
8,501 reserve not met and 23 hours to go. I thought it would have gotten a lot higher by now.

TahoeLT
10-16-12, 14:27
I don't care if its semi or full auto, $10k for a single rifle is absurd, especially for a gun that you have just to have and doesn't have massive historical background like say a garand.

Wait, you think $10k is a reasonable price for a Garand? What, that was carried by Alvin York himself, maybe. Maybe.

That is a lot of money for a semi rifle, but I know one or two guys who spend like that. Crazy.

Doc. Holiday
10-17-12, 08:59
I don't think he meant that he is willing to fork out $10K for a Garand. I think he was trying to say that the Famas has no history, it's just another rifle while at least the Garand has something to it's name.

Magic_Salad0892
10-17-12, 18:20
I'm of French lineage, so I'd be pretty tempted to buy one for no reason.

Suwannee Tim
10-17-12, 18:53
FAMAS's have got to be one of the ugliest gun designs in my opinion. I love bullpups but really...a FAMAS? I've got a few other rifles I would rather own for $10K.

They are not ugly they are hideous.

I'm of French lineage.......

Really, I would never have guessed.

alvincullumyork
10-18-12, 11:16
Looks like it ended at 9,500 with the reserve not being met. I thought it would it would go for more. Personally I don't really see the appeal. Sure it's rare but it looks stupid, has little to no history, it's french, 1 in 12 barrel?, picky on ammo. I wonder if it will pop back up.

I'm of French lineage, so I'd be pretty tempted to buy one for no reason.

Really, I would never have guessed.

I never would have confessed :p.

Lots of sarcasm, no slight intended.

Magic_Salad0892
10-18-12, 18:27
I never would have confessed :p.

Lots of sarcasm, no slight intended.

I hate you both. :p

Barry in IN
10-18-12, 19:09
It's back:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=312087190
Auction is six hours old, started at 5k, now at 10k after three bids. Current high bidder is same as was high bidder last time. Reserve still not met, but it now says he lowered it. Now's your chance!

alvincullumyork
10-19-12, 10:36
It's back:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=312087190
Auction is six hours old, started at 5k, now at 10k after three bids. Current high bidder is same as was high bidder last time. Reserve still not met, but it now says he lowered it. Now's your chance!

If only I wasn't in college, had money, wanted a weird rifle, had money to put ammo through the rifle, had time to put ammo through the rifle.....................

I hate you both. :p

:sarcastic::laugh:

Doc. Holiday
10-19-12, 12:33
Trust me, there are so many better options than an effing Famas...

bondmid003
10-23-12, 01:42
So many better options if you want a serious shooter...

Not many better options if you are a collector of extremely rare modern type firearms and want a showcase for your collection

Barry in IN
10-23-12, 11:03
I guess I can agree there are not many better picks for bragging rights as an "I have one and you don't" piece.
The number of people to which you can brag is the question. If you hung it in the average gun shop with a sign saying "Name this rifle", you wouldn't get many right answers. I bet you'd get some damn funny ones though!

SteyrAUG
10-23-12, 13:00
Wait, you think $10k is a reasonable price for a Garand? What, that was carried by Alvin York himself, maybe. Maybe.

Alvin York carried a 1917 Enfield.

Doc. Holiday
10-23-12, 15:44
Alvin York carried a 1917 Enfield.

Haha....I love you Steyr...FYI Audie Murphey carried a M16A2 also... ;)

Barry in IN
10-23-12, 16:36
But...but...wouldn't that make a Garand carried by Alvin York worth even more???