PDA

View Full Version : Stock Roccomendations

M4C
10-07-12, 16:40
Our work shotguns are Mossberg 500A with 20” barrels and they don’t come close to fitting in the racks of the new Dodge Chargers. We put a TAPCO collapsible stock on one and it barely shortens the OAL of the gun. Don’t get me started on the rest of my complaints about it, but suffice it to say it is still too long to fit and the cheek weld sucks.:fie: We tried one from ATI and it fits in the rack, and the cheek weld is much better, but not great.

The ATI fully collapsed gives a LOP of 10.75” and an OAL of 37.5”. One reason I’m not a big fan of collapsible stocks on shotguns is that they usually seem to put the comb too high to use the bead or any other low sight, and these guns will not be getting optics.

I thought about short stocks from Hogue, or cutting down the original Mossberg stocks, but the Hogues are 12” (still too long) and cutting a stock down to 10.75” seems too short for a fixed stock.

Before we buy a bunch of ATIs I thought I’d see what recommendations I get from the forum. Criteria being: collapsed LOP no longer than about 10.75”, comb low enough to use bead sight or low irons, and reasonable quality of construction.

Noodles
10-08-12, 11:53
Our work shotguns are Mossberg 500A with 20” barrels and they don’t come close to fitting in the racks of the new Dodge Chargers. We put a TAPCO collapsible stock on one and it barely shortens the OAL of the gun. Don’t get me started on the rest of my complaints about it, but suffice it to say it is still too long to fit and the cheek weld sucks.:fie: We tried one from ATI and it fits in the rack, and the cheek weld is much better, but not great.

The ATI fully collapsed gives a LOP of 10.75” and an OAL of 37.5”. One reason I’m not a big fan of collapsible stocks on shotguns is that they usually seem to put the comb too high to use the bead or any other low sight, and these guns will not be getting optics.

I thought about short stocks from Hogue, or cutting down the original Mossberg stocks, but the Hogues are 12” (still too long) and cutting a stock down to 10.75” seems too short for a fixed stock.

Before we buy a bunch of ATIs I thought I’d see what recommendations I get from the forum. Criteria being: collapsed LOP no longer than about 10.75”, comb low enough to use bead sight or low irons, and reasonable quality of construction.

Can't help you much, but at 6' I found the hogue youth stock with pad to be about 11.5" and definitely too short for me to use with just cloths on.

Are you LE? If so, I'd really consider 14" guns with fixed field (not pistol grip) stocks.

10-08-12, 12:34
That is a tough one. I am not a fan of colaspable stocks on shotguns either, but I think that is the route you are going to have to go because a 10.75" LOP stock would be touch to use correctly if only wearing the typical LE uniform with concealable body armor.

I just measured a Knoxx stock, it is too long also.

Have you thought about a different approach and switching to a shorter barrel?

chadil1ac
10-08-12, 14:13
What about using the Magpul MOE stock once they become available for the Mossy?

Noodles
10-08-12, 15:52
What about using the Magpul MOE stock once they become available for the Mossy?

Uh? They're pretty long in their shortest condition. I think the solution here is barrel and not stock.

chadil1ac
10-08-12, 15:55
Uh? They're pretty long in their shortest condition. I think the solution here is barrel and not stock.

Uh, really?

Not in my opinion. I don't know what you are comparing to but I wouldn't be able to handle that stock in its smallest configuration.

Gerbilphooey
10-08-12, 16:27
Have you looked into the Mesa Tactical Leo adapter? It allows you to install an ar15 grip, buffer tube, and stock? I'm not sure on the over all length though, I can measure when I get home. And it is low enough to get a good cheek wield and still use the ghost ring sights.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/09/ysununeb.jpg
Sorry for the low quality cell pic, it's a quick one I snapped for a friend, and all I had on my phone.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

M4C
10-08-12, 23:38
Thanks for all the comments and ideas so far.

Noodles: Yes, LE. But Mossberg 500s are not readily swappable to shorter barrels, and I’m not going to be able to convince the department to get rid of all the Mossbergs to buy 870s, although that is exactly what I’d love to do.

Gerbilphooey: The Mesa looks promising. I just looked at it on their web site and the LEO model is advertised as being low enough to use the bead. They don’t say what the collapsed LOP is, but I will contact them and ask. Meanwhile, if you have time to measure yours and let me know I would appreciate it!

Gerbilphooey
10-09-12, 01:42
The length from the receiver to the end of the stock seems to be a hair less than 10 1/2 inches, and add another half or so for the enhanced Magpul recoil pad. Fully extended it's about 14 1/2 inches.
Obligatory crappy cell pichttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/09/7ujuzahu.jpg

Big A
10-15-12, 13:51
Thanks for all the comments and ideas so far.

Noodles: Yes, LE. But Mossberg 500s are not readily swappable to shorter barrels, and I’m not going to be able to convince the department to get rid of all the Mossbergs to buy 870s, although that is exactly what I’d love to do.

Gerbilphooey: The Mesa looks promising. I just looked at it on their web site and the LEO model is advertised as being low enough to use
the bead. They don’t say what the collapsed LOP is, but I will contact them and ask. Meanwhile, if you have time to measure yours and let me know I would appreciate it!

:confused:

You should be able to get 18.5 in barrels with the shorter mag tube direct from Mossberg or some other suplier. That would definetly be cheaper than switching to 870's. However you will lose 2 rounds capacity...

M4C
10-15-12, 16:32
:confused:

You should be able to get 18.5 in barrels with the shorter mag tube direct from Mossberg or some other suplier. That would definetly be cheaper than switching to 870's. However you will lose 2 rounds capacity...

Not nearly cheap enough, especially since with 18.5" barrels we would still need to buy shorter stocks.

KeithD
10-16-12, 01:23

Big A
10-16-12, 12:17
What about the Knoxx/Blackhawk non-recoil reducing stocks?

While the Mesa Tactical piece is very nice, and what I perfer, you'll still have to buy buffer tubes, AR type grips and collapsable stocks and you'll have to convince the bean counters that these are the best option.

IMO for AR type stocks for shotguns you've got Mesa> Blackhawk (by a coulpe orders of magnitude) > ATI.

I wouldn't even consider anything TAPCO makes.

Gerbilphooey
10-16-12, 12:40
I wouldn't even consider anything TAPCO makes.

Wise words

M4C
10-16-12, 15:45
First let me say: a shotgun is not an M4, and I don't like M4 stocks on shotguns. If we were only trying to make them fit smaller officers better I would just trim the stocks. But we are trying to make them fit the car/rack combination we ended up with. If the only way to do that is with a crappy stock, my recommendation will be to just put the shotguns in the trunk.

The Tapco stock is an absolute POS. Even if it fit in the rack, we would not use it.
The Knox has it's own problems, especially the recoil reducing version which even if it works is prone to breakage.
The ATI is kinda crappy, but seems to be workable.
The Mesa looks like the lesser of evils, but probably not worth the expense.

Our patrol rifle program is growing, which is good, so it's understandable that they won't put a lot of money into makeshift solutions to the shotgun issue. The M4s fit in the Chargers and Impalas better.

Sotex
10-19-12, 14:38
Have you thought of changing the racks? If they will physically fit in the cars, change out the lock heads to something like the Santa Cruz Universal:

http://santacruzgunlocks.com/