PDA

View Full Version : FrogLube "Solvent"

sr71plane
10-08-12, 08:15
Has anyone else used this stuff ?? I just did for the first time on a P220 45 ACP. The folks at FrogLube told me that it would be good to use, to clean down to the bare metal (Get the Militec-1 off) before applying their CLP. I have the 8oz. pump bottle spray. The product has basically no smell, is just a little thicker then water, and kind of beaded up when sprayed onto the metal. I used a Q-Tip to scrub it in, then wiped it off with a thin cotton rag.

The pistol was clean, I was doing this as a prep for the CLP.

The Good:
No terrible smell like other spray gun solvents
Is room temperature, does not get icy cold like other sprays
I guess it works, who really knows if it got the Militec off ?

The Bad:
THE PRICE !!!!!!!!
$22.95 for 8oz. is way out there. They say to apply a generous amount to the surface, then scrub, then wipe clean. I probably used about three bucks worth just prepping one pistol and it was already clean. I would have had to use much more if it had been fouled from shooting.

thei3ug
10-08-12, 08:37
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=85728&highlight=froglube

A time or two, sure.

sr71plane
10-08-12, 08:42
Talking about the new "Solvent" not the "CLP".

samuse
10-08-12, 08:54
You could've just wiped it down with a rag soaked with acetone or mineral spirits for damn near free.

Or hosed it out with brake cleaner.

devinsdad
10-08-12, 11:29
+1 for the brake cleaner, or carb cleaner...whichever is cheaper. Works like a champ!!

Littlelebowski
10-08-12, 11:36
$3 bottle of non chlorinated brake cleaner, use it outside.

sr71plane
10-08-12, 13:44
Brake cleaner, Acetone, Mineral spirits, and other strong solvents are what I was trying to get away from. Have used that stuff for years.

I like the idea of this new FrogLube solvent............just wonder why it is so darn expensive ??

SpeedRacer
10-08-12, 13:58
$3 bottle of non chlorinated brake cleaner, use it outside.

This. I've treated all of my firearms with FrogLube. Used brake cleaner to clean and strip old lubricants, it's great because it blasts the crap out of every nook and cranny. Then I heat the parts in a toaster oven and treat them with the paste per the directions. After drying I wipe them down and apply some extra paste on the contact areas. Great results so far.

Abraxas
10-08-12, 14:08
This. I've treated all of my firearms with FrogLube. Used brake cleaner to clean and strip old lubricants, it's great because it blasts the crap out of every nook and cranny. Then I heat the parts in a toaster oven and treat them with the paste per the directions. After drying I wipe them down and apply some extra paste on the contact areas. Great results so far.

Microwave is faster:D. My wife gets mad when I use kitchen stuff for gun or car/bike stuff.

Dave_M
10-08-12, 19:49
Microwave is faster:D. My wife gets mad when I use kitchen stuff for gun or car/bike stuff.

I think part of the reason why I ended up getting a divorce was that I often used the dishwasher to clean gun parts....

Well that and she spent all of my deployment money :D

SpeedRacer
10-08-12, 19:53

That's why I moved the toaster oven out to my workbench. Now it's not kitchen stuff, it's garage stuff. Problem solved!

samuse
10-08-12, 20:43
Brake cleaner, Acetone, Mineral spirits, and other strong solvents are what I was trying to get away from. Have used that stuff for years.

I like the idea of this new FrogLube solvent............just wonder why it is so darn expensive ??

Why would you not want to use the other stuff? It's cheap and it works.

BIGUGLY
10-08-12, 21:48
He possibly does not want to use it just because the fumes and prolonged exposure is definately not good for you. I admit the brake cleaner works amazingly well and is cheap. But you have to admit some people do not do well around the fumes that stuff puts out.

Personally I use the stuff but with gloves and outside, and it does bother me I am aparently sensitive to the fumes from it, so I use it I'm just extra careful around it.

sr71plane
10-08-12, 23:37
He possibly does not want to use it just because the fumes and prolonged exposure is definately not good for you. I admit the brake cleaner works amazingly well and is cheap. But you have to admit some people do not do well around the fumes that stuff puts out.

Personally I use the stuff but with gloves and outside, and it does bother me I am aparently sensitive to the fumes from it, so I use it I'm just extra careful around it.

That is exactly what I am talking about. People are excited because the frogLube "CLP" smells better, works better, and is better for the persons safety using it then other CLP's and lubricants. The FrogLube "Solvent" is suppose to be the Solvent, Cleaner version of this.

It seems to work, but it is priced like liquid gold. Again, has anyone else used the "Solvent", and if so, how did it work for you ?

5pins
10-09-12, 11:50
That is exactly what I am talking about. People are excited because the frogLube "CLP" smells better, works better, and is better for the persons safety using it then other CLP's and lubricants. The FrogLube "Solvent" is suppose to be the Solvent, Cleaner version of this.

It seems to work, but it is priced like liquid gold. Again, has anyone else used the "Solvent", and if so, how did it work for you ?

Try Simple Green.

NCMedic
10-09-12, 12:23
Try Simple Green.

If you want to eat the frame up....
Undiluted Simple Green is corrosive to aluminum. If you are going to use Simple Green it needs to be a 1:30 ratio and rinsed well after.

Sent from this... Using that...

samuse
10-09-12, 14:48
Anyone ever think that generally more harm than good comes from cleaning guns?

Dan46n2
10-09-12, 15:17

Yeah don't clean them :stop:

sr71plane
10-09-12, 15:38

I do know that I have been around long enough to see most of these wonder lube's and solvents come and go in the firearms world. If my memory is correct, many, many years ago WD-40 was the do all. Then Break Free CLP came along. I used it and liked it, but then came desert warfare. We were told over and over that CLP did not work, and..........maybe in that circumstance it did not do well.

Then we had the Lube of the month. Militec-1, Weapon Shield, M Pro-7, Tetra, KG4, Rem Oil, Slip 2000, Slide Glide, Stroke 29, Kellube, Gun Butter, Top Gun, etc., etc.

Now enter FrogLube. The selling point is that it works better then all others while being pleasant and safe to work with. Who really knows ? Only time will tell if all of this is true or if it will just fall into the pile of all the others before it.

I have fallen for all the Buzz again, and am trying FrogLube produts. I Like the smell of the CLP and think that it is awesome to have a crud cutting solvent that you do not have to use outdoors with gloves on.

Just wish the Solvent was not so expensive. Almost to expensive to use. And yes, most (Including Myself) probably spend way to much time cleaning our guns.

antlad
10-09-12, 15:56
If you want to eat the frame up....
Undiluted Simple Green is corrosive to aluminum. If you are going to use Simple Green it needs to be a 1:30 ratio and rinsed well after.

Sent from this... Using that...

http://gsa.simplegreen.com/gsa_products_extreme.php

I use this stuff for light duty degreasing. No need to dilute and is safe on aluminum though I never did have issues with the regular stuff, just heard is was corrosive on aluminum.

When I really want to get something clean I use mineral spirits or gunscrubber/brake cleaner.

samuse
10-09-12, 23:46
Yeah don't clean them :stop:

I generally don't. I just lube the hell out of it and spits out what it doesn't want.

bluecanary
10-10-12, 00:28
When I prepped my P220 for FL, I used Slip 2000 725 degreaser. ($8.50 for 8 oz) Then some Gun Scrubber I had laying around, just be sure.

The 725 is non-tox, no odor. Probably close to the same stuff as the FL solvent.....??

Worked good tho.

sr71plane
10-10-12, 07:56
When I prepped my P220 for FL, I used Slip 2000 725 degreaser. ($8.50 for 8 oz) Then some Gun Scrubber I had laying around, just be sure.

The 725 is non-tox, no odor. Probably close to the same stuff as the FL solvent.....??

Worked good tho.

Thanks for the heads up on the Slip 2000 Degreaser. When the FrogLube Solvent is used up I probably will switch to it.

shattuck
10-10-12, 08:16
Try Simple Green.

+1

Love simple green

WS6
10-10-12, 08:24
I for one am not comfortable with it being water based. After an initial application of Froglube, wiping/brushing/more Froglube have gotten it done for me just fine. I will defer use of the solvent to others.

Dan46n2
10-10-12, 14:36
I for one am not comfortable with it being water based. After an initial application of Froglube, wiping/brushing/more Froglube have gotten it done for me just fine. I will defer use of the solvent to others.

What's wrong with water based?

WS6
10-10-12, 15:50
What's wrong with water based?

It contains a known corrosive. Maybe I'm all wet...but it seems to me like the solvent could cause corrosion if not 100% removed.

wahoo95
10-10-12, 16:09
It contains a known corrosive. Maybe I'm all wet...but it seems to me like the solvent could cause corrosion if not 100% removed.

It won't.

wahoo95
10-10-12, 16:14
I've been wanting to try it but not at that price. I do have another non toxic water base cleaner I use.....Aqua Clean. It works very well and doesn't cost near what FL Solvent does.

devinsdad
10-10-12, 22:27
If you want the performance of Frog Lube but wanna pay a bit less...try Thompson Centers Natural Lube 1000. Been on the market for decades and unless you're a chemist, you probably won't be able to tell the differance. Oh yeah, and it costs less than the FrogLube