PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a safe.......

jmoore
02-07-08, 22:27
...... but the smell is driving me crazy!

Got a cheapo (I know, that's the problem:) Stack On 16 gun safe a few weeks back. In general, a nice enough safe for the money, but the adhesive they use to attach the carpeting is horrible.

Anyone have suggestions for getting rid of the smell? I've just finished a week with baking soda containers inside, and will be moving the pets out of the house for the next week while I open it up and direct fans inside. (The venting fumes will certainly take care of any pest problems in my house:)

Any other ideas short of ripping out the carpet, stripping the adhesive, and starting with a "friendlier" adhesive on the next go around????

TIA

jm

TraderJack
02-08-08, 01:28
I rehab houses and almost always the carpet comes up first. But sometimes the 'aroma' is still overwhelming. I put straight vinegar(white seems to work best) in a spray bottle and lightly wet all surfaces - floor, walls, windows, sometimes even ceiling. When I leave the building I set out 3 or 4 shallow bowls of vinegar to work overnight. It works really well and is a cheap fix until I can get some paint down. Sometimes I have put some vinegar in the paint to kill the paint smell for sensitive clients. The vinegar sucks up the odor. I learned this trick from an 'old wife'.

Try spraying the carpet and setting a bowl full inside and close the door. Might take a few days. Good luck.

czydj
02-08-08, 05:35
Just a guess, but if the adhesive is still "out gassing", I would warm it up the inside of your safe to accelerate the process of final curing. Get it warm and keep it warm with plenty of fresh air flowing and I bet it will get better sooner rather than later... hth!

Safetyhit
02-08-08, 09:48
I likely have the same safe, and mine smelled terrible for a while too. I did nothing but give it some time, it goes away faster than you might expect. Really a non-issue in the overall scope of things as it won't bother anything but your nose a little. I can assure you that you will never get 16 guns in the thing, though. Don't even try.

While I do like the safe overall for it's solidness and storage shelves, I did make the mistake of getting the electronic access system. While it is better in the dark, it fails as much as 40% of the time, which is way unacceptable. Not like I can box the damn thing up and send it back. Now that I think about it I am calling Stack-On today to see what they might do for me.

jmoore
02-08-08, 15:43
To their credit - Stack On has contacted me and offered to replace the safe. They will come out, pick up the current one, and replace it in the same location in my house, i.e., a real first rate offer.

I am going to try a few of the suggestions I rec'd from all of you - then perhaps take them up on their offer.

Again - I am quite happy with the offer from Stack On!

jm