PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPS .40 opinions (or recommendations for similar gun)

aceofspades991
10-08-12, 11:40
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a slim pistol that can fit into a large pocket and I''d like to it be chambered in .40 s&w. I know that there are disadvantages to pocket carry and there are smaller guns than the PPS that might do better in a pocket, but I'm choosing to pocket carry because my uniform and job duties make IWB carry risky in the sense that it would be easy to expose the gun, I would go so far as to have a seamstress extend my right pocket by an inch or two to accommodate the longer gun and I'm certain that it will fit height wise (relative to the pistol) because I can fit my Glock 30 in the pocket of my pants, it's just to thick to not be obvious. I'm looking for a .40 s&w gun because in addition to my Glock 30 I also have a Glock 22 so it would be nice not to have to add an additional pistol caliber at this time.

Initially I was looking at the S&W M&P shield but with the mag drop problems (that sometimes show up hundred of rounds into the service of the gun) I don't feel I could trust it as a carry gun at this point. So the next option that I came across is the Walther PPS in .40 S&W. I've been searching google and this forum but I can't find any high round count testimonials on the reliability/ durability of the PPS in the .40, just ones regarding the 9mm which seem to be mostly positive.

So, my questions are; Do any of you have any experience with this gun, especially concerning long term durability and reliability? If not is there a similar (slim small) pistol that you would recommend over the PPS? And then secondly; is a pistol in this size range inherently less reliable when chambered in .40? For simplicity and cost of stockpiling ammo, I really want to stick with .40, but if that means I'll be sacrificing reliability/ durability, I'd just bite the bullet and go with a 9mm.

Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post, I appreciate any responses.

Ace.

gtmtnbiker98
10-08-12, 12:37
PPS' chambered in 9mm are historically less prone to issues than the .40 S&W. There's a reason you are seeing more reports on the 9mm.

Hogsgunwild
10-09-12, 02:01
I sold my .40 PPS a few years ago. I had probably run 1500 rounds or so through it. Mine was very reliable and accurate. I liked the gun but since I was carrying full sized 1911s at the time I decided to use my very reliable CCO and Defender in it's role when I needed a smaller gun to keep the same manual of arms. The trigger was very similar to my Glocks'.

I am actually considering the 9MM PPS to compliment my three PPQs.
I have come to the point where I would prefer the extra round that the 9MM version has and the faster follow-up shots. My 9MM Shield has been so incredible ( I am now shooting better 25 yard groups with my Shield than I can with either my full size or compact 9MM M&Ps) that I don't know if the 9MM PPS will do it for me.

Ironically, my .40 PPQ is not reliable yet and I have about a case of ammo through it. It seems to be breaking in but my two 9MM PPQs were 100% reliable from day one.

I don't know if the Shield mag issue was limited to the .40 or not, but, I have not had anything but very positive mag drops with nearly two cases of ammo through my 9MM.

skyugo
10-10-12, 13:30
If you're dead set on pocket carry a j frame is worth considering. It certainly had some limitations but it is reliable and easy to carry

Pistol Shooter
10-10-12, 16:12
I've had a 9mm PPS for three years, it's accurate, reliable easy to shoot and easy to clean.

I've put approximately 2200 rds. of various hardball/jhp ammo through it with 1 failure (when my wife let her hand follow the slide as she chambered a rd). Took one bump, easy fix. :)

The 9mm PPS is a very fine handgun by any measure -- Walther hit a homerun with this pistol IMO. It's been on the market for years now and has been well vetted. At $550.00 or so it's worth every penny.

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo220/cashbailey_photos/DSCN0002.jpg

Good luck Ace.

Littlelebowski
10-10-12, 16:26
With proper self defense loads, there's no reason to beat up your hand and wallet with .40.

ClearedHot
10-11-12, 01:07
Ever considered the Kahr P9?

lurpygeek
10-11-12, 10:39
I came very close to purchasing a PPS in .40 a few years ago. After a significant amount of research and handling different options, I finally went with a Glock 27. I don't have the specs with me right now, but if I remember correctly, it is smaller than the PPS in every dimension except width, and the width isn't massively more. Also comes with more magazine capacity and greater parts availability. It has been a good fit for me.

ST911
10-11-12, 14:28
Fired a sample Walther PPS in 40 a few weeks ago. The sample had already fired a few hundred rounds and was reported to be reliable. The small quantity of ammo I fired had no issues. It was accurate enough and shot to POA. It was narrow overall which was favorable to carry, but I didn't care for the way it sat in my hand and forced a grip tweak. It also seemed to produce every bit of recoil and torque that the 40 is capable of. I'm not planning to give it a second look.

With proper self defense loads, there's no reason to beat up your hand and wallet with .40.

Amen.

aceofspades991
10-11-12, 15:17
Thanks for all of the replies! After a lot of research, I think I'll be going with the 9mm version. I bought a glock in .40 a long time ago and I was hoping to get another gun in a caliber I already have just so I could use ammo I have in both guns. Now that I think I'll be going with a 9 I'll have to take a second look at the Shield since the first reason I ditches that idea was because of the mag drop issues .40 owners were experiencing.

I have looked into the j frame and the kahr, but I have heard of too many issues with P/CM 9, and while I'd like to add a j frame to my collection later, I want a little more fire power at this time.

Pistol Shooter
10-11-12, 15:24
Thanks for all of the replies! After a lot of research, I think I'll be going with the 9mm version. I bought a glock in .40 a long time ago and I was hoping to get another gun in a caliber I already have just so I could use ammo I have in both guns. Now that I think I'll be going with a 9 I'll have to take a second look at the Shield since the first reason I ditches that idea was because of the mag drop issues .40 owners were experiencing.

I have looked into the j frame and the kahr, but I have heard of too many issues with P/CM 9, and while I'd like to add a j frame to my collection later, I want a little more fire power at this time.

You've made a fine choice that I think you'll be very happy with. :)

The Shield seems to be a very fine handgun but it doesn't have the stellar track record of the PPS at this point.

aceofspades991
10-11-12, 15:35
Thanks, it'll ultimately come down to what feels better between the two of them. The track record is certainly what draws me to the pps.