PDA

View Full Version : Planning a new project, but have some questions

BrigandTwoFour
10-08-12, 13:55
Hey guys, it seems I keep jumping between forums as this project evolves.

I am about to acquire a .308 DPMS pattern lower for a new precision build. Right now, I also have a JAE stocked M14 that weighs nearly 17 pounds and a .308 bolt gun that comes in around 10.

I want to build a semi-auto gun that is more accurate and lighter than the M14 for a general purpose usage of target shooting out to 1000 and possibly hunting of small to medium sized game (varmint, coyote, maybe small deer, etc) out to say a maximum of 400-500 yards.

The two major things I'm looking at are barrel length and the stock configuration. I want to be able to carry the gun easily in a backpack like an Eberlestock without undue burden. I am not someone who kicks down doors and deploys from an enclosed vehicle.

I was looking at a Rainier Ultramatch .308 barrel in either 18" or 20" variety, though some discussions have lead me to think that maybe even a 16" would meet my requirement.

As far as stocks go, I have a couple spare 5.56 carbine buffer tubes and an ACS laying around as take-offs from when I installed A5 kits on my other carbines. But I was considering a UBR due to the solid lock up. The new MOE Rifle stock has my attention, though, as a lightweight option.

Do you all think that the weight sacrifice of the UBR is worth it for the collapsibility?

The other part of this build is that it may end up getting used for competition. ARs being as modular as they are, I like the idea of getting a 6.5 Creedmoor (or .260) upper with a longer barrel (22"-24") to really get some range out there. How would that affect the choice of stock?

ChoppinFatTony
10-10-12, 16:13
My 2 cents,

You seem to have a good plan going and for the purposes your looking for a 16" barrel from a good manufacturer will defintly suit your needs, i.e. Rainer.

I think running a MOE stock instead of a UBR will cause the rifle to feel front heavy. A UBR will balance out the rifle and will be better for you if your handling it for extended periods of time.

Good Luck on your build.

BrigandTwoFour
10-10-12, 18:00
So the plan is slowly forming.

Mega MA-TEN ambi billet upper/lower (or perhaps tactical machining)
Rainier Ultramatch .308 18" barrel
Thunderbeast brake (for later using Thunderbeast 30BA suppressor)
I will use a spare ALG-ACT trigger I have for now
Apex machine rifle length hand guard
UBR stock
BAD-ASS safety
Probably a BCM pistol grip, really enjoying the one I already have

What I don't yet know is the BCG. It seems that Young MFG makes a .308 BCG, but I can't find where to buy them at the moment.

When it comes to barrel length, I think 18" will fit my needs. But the Rainier barrel uses a middy gas system on their 18", I would rather have a rifle length, but the extra 2" of barrel adds almost a half pound of weight.

I still may choose to go with the MOE fixed rifle stock purely out of weight reasons, since the UBR almost weights 2 lbs itself. I have not seen the weight of the MOE fixed stock yet, though.

fallenromeo
10-10-12, 18:31
Why not drop the barrel length to 16" to shave some weight?

BrigandTwoFour
10-10-12, 18:46
The information I could gather from scouring the forums pretty much guides me to that 18". KevinB, the LAV, and some of the guys who kick doors for a living pretty much all shared the same opinion that 16" is great for maneuverability (which I don't really need in this case), but the extra fps provided from the 18" is better for stretching past that 700 yard mark, which is part of my original criteria (800-1000 for steel silhouette shooting, 400-600 for thin skinned game/varmint)

As tempted as I am, I have to keep reminding myself that this gun is not being built as a combat carbine, but a lighter-weight target rifle that I can pack and carry if I want to. The 16" barrel only saves 3oz rather than a nearly half pound that the 18" saves over the 20"

I think the 18" gives me a nice compromise between weight and range. I am, of course, open to alternatives though if ya'll have some more information I may not have come across.

BrigandTwoFour
10-10-12, 19:03
Dammit, you know what....

Now you got me thinking I may just go with the 16". I already have the scoped target M14 that can meet my 800-1000yd silhouette requirement. Why not fill the middle ground with another 7.62 that is lighter and still useful for my hunting requirement?

ChoppinFatTony
10-10-12, 20:03
as i am a door kicker as well, you had mentioned a portable rifle as you aleady have long sticks, the 16" will do you right.
sounds like you have a good plan going.
good luck.