PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a good hoodie

JBecker 72
10-08-12, 14:46
It's getting that time of year again, temps are dropping, and I'm getting cold. I need a new hoodie for the mild days, or for an under layer when it really gets cold out. I would wear it under either my North Face softshell, or my Columbia snow jacket. Currently I'm looking at a few different products. I realise the difference in price between the first 2 compared to the last is pretty significant. My question is will they be worth the extra money? Also where are they made? I know the Condor is China, but I don't feel like spending $200+ on a sweater only to find out it too is a sweatshop product.

Arc'teryx LEAF Naga Hoody

https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.svpply.com/large/1399470.jpg?1348650027

TAD Ranger Hoodie

http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/F12-Ranger-Grey-image.jpg

Condor Sierra Hoodie

http://www.uscav.com/prodinfo/images/36987.jpg

diving dave
10-08-12, 15:06
I have one of the tad ranger hoodies.. Really warm, as a second layer under a rain repellant shell it works well. Wear mine all the time when I'm at my Montana property. If you have alot animals though it attracts pet hair like crazy...get a lint roller. Quality is really good , as most tad things are..

JBecker 72
10-08-12, 15:08
Is your's USA made?

steyrman13
10-08-12, 15:25
I have the Condor one. It is pretty warm and wind resistant as well as water repellant on its own. Lots of different storage pockets. Only downside is I'm tall and it is plenty long in arms just the torso part. I think that it is designed to wear with an OWB holster for easy draw maybe, but hard to conceal a OWB setup. I haven't had any issues with mine. My friend has one and the little wrist cuff velcro adjustments came apart. It would still hold in place, but the rubber delaminated from the velcro part.

JBecker 72
10-08-12, 15:37
I have the Condor one. It is pretty warm and wind resistant as well as water repellant on its own. Lots of different storage pockets. Only downside is I'm tall and it is plenty long in arms just the torso part. I think that it is designed to wear with an OWB holster for easy draw maybe, but hard to conceal a OWB setup. I haven't had any issues with mine. My friend has one and the little wrist cuff velcro adjustments came apart. It would still hold in place, but the rubber delaminated from the velcro part.

Thanks for that bit of info. I need a long torso as I'm tall, and also like to conceal carry OWB in the winter time.

Right now I'm really leaning toward the TAD.

Also, whats the difference between the Ranger and Ranger LT? Lighter fabric? Their website doesn't really say.

steyrman13
10-08-12, 15:51

I might add that I am 6'4" with a long torso and it just barely covers my belt while standing up. If I lift arms or anything it shows all so It prob isn't the way to go with OWB carry

PatEgan
10-08-12, 16:35
Arc'teryx Atom LT hooded jacket. There are some on sale right now at Backcountry.com

Pat

JBecker 72
10-08-12, 17:16
I stopped by REI on my lunch break and tried on one of these. Very comfy and reasonably priced with my 20% off coupon. I might pick it up.

http://www.rei.com/product/815134/rei-rauk-jacket-mens

Kokopelli
10-08-12, 17:53
I normally wear the Springfield Armory hoodie's.. :dance3: Cheers.. Ron

d90king
10-08-12, 18:08
I really like my Ranger hoodie. Very well made, wicks water extremely well, very warm, great mobility, the best "hood" on the market IMHO, made in America and is reasonably priced.

The Naga is also super nice and Arc'teryx quality is very good, and that includes their offshore stuff.

CCK
10-08-12, 19:37
Not the same but I have a SORD hoodie (1/4 zipper) and its awesome.

Chris

JBecker 72
10-08-12, 22:31
Just an update, I picked up the REI hoodie in green after work for $107 plus tax with a coupon. It has great reviews and fits me very well. I still might end up with that Ranger hoodie later this year though.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

trackmagic
10-09-12, 14:53
FUBU, yo

HuntingTime
10-09-12, 23:16
SORD Hoodie is a nice design

PatEgan
10-09-12, 23:41
FUBU, yo

:fie:

robfromsc
10-10-12, 06:21
I stopped by REI on my lunch break and tried on one of these. Very comfy and reasonably priced with my 20% off coupon. I might pick it up.

http://www.rei.com/product/815134/rei-rauk-jacket-mens

Do you own anything with thumb holes in the sleeves ? Its very nice when you want it for extra warmth, but annoying when not wanted.

JBecker 72
10-10-12, 10:04
Do you own anything with thumb holes in the sleeves ? Its very nice when you want it for extra warmth, but annoying when not wanted.

Well I do now. I figure if its that cold out to be annoying, I will have an outer layer on as well.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Bruce in WV
10-10-12, 10:10
Hoodie for the Wounded Warrior project. They get a cut, you get great gear.

2ac
10-10-12, 12:54
That REI hoodie looks pretty decent for the money and having Windpro. I love my Ranger Hoodie, I have both versions. And yes, the difference is in materials. If you want to wear it under a soft shell you'd prob want the LT, as the regular weight is better under a hard shell.

And if you do still want one, don't wait! They'll be gone soon, if not already.

duece71
10-10-12, 13:37
I have a Smartwool hoodie with the thumb holes. Great for under the Arcteryx Theta SV. I don't remember the model that I have but it is not light weight. More of a midweight garment. The zipper is off to one side when zipped all the way up to the chin. Nice and comfortable.

d90king
10-10-12, 16:31
I would like to see Arc'teryx add the thumbhole sleeves and double zippers to some of their stuff.

narco23
10-10-12, 17:38

The thumb holes definitely don't do it for me either.

lethal dose
10-10-12, 17:40
Hanes makes a nice piece.

Touchette
10-16-12, 15:47
Depending on how hard you are on your gear/hoodie, the Condor stuff may not last you. I've already noticed some wear and tear that I would otherwise not expect to see on a more name-brand product after fairly light/non-hard use.

I do have the TAD Ranger, I wish I had gotten the LT. Besides getting a little on the warm side sometimes, just have to open some pockets to get some airflow, I really like it. Additionally, the hoodie is on the form/athletic fitting side and depending on the size you get it might still print some with OWB concealed carry. I haven't tried with mine, but I can see where it could still print. From what I've seen, the Condor jackets/hoodies seem to have a looser fit.

Can't argue with Arc'teryx, good quality, good designs. I don't have any of their hoodie's, but their Combat Jacket is my go to light weight soft shell.