PDA

View Full Version : Anybody used Del-ton uppers?

berserk
02-07-08, 23:49
I know this site is all about highend rifles for 3 gun and serious round count. That being said I traded a gun for a Delton carbine upper about a month ago, and on the other boards they have a good reputation(low round count/pleasure shooters). But I was wanting to see if anyone has put one to serious use and had alot of rounds through one? Or have any of you used or seen one used on a course, just wandering how they have done. I already have the upper so buying a LMT or other is out of the question, so what I have will have to do.

Just so you know her is what I have done so far.
Delton carbine upper (McFarland one piece/O-ring and black insert on extractor)
Sabre Defence striped lower
Stag Lower Parts kit
Magpul CTR
Magpul trigger gaurd
Houge grip

berserk
02-08-08, 10:38
Come on there has to be someone that can help me out?:( I am already going to upgrade to a Bravo Company BCG as soon as I can, and keep my other as a spare.

Besides making sure my castle nut and barrel are properly staked, is there
anything else I should look at to make sure my carbine is ready to be ready for the carbine course?

I was looking at heavy carbine buffers and might put one in, is there any negitives to using this?

JOHNO
02-08-08, 13:20
I run a DTI 14.5" on one of mine, I have'nt put 500 rounds through it in one day but I have'nt babied it and have had no problems.

RWBlue
02-08-08, 13:38
I have bought parts from Delton. No problems, well with the exception of delivery times.

Algaroth
02-08-08, 18:49
Yup. My rifle was built from a Del-Ton M4 heavy barrel kit.

Flattop upper, 16" heavy chrome lined barrel, 1/9 twist, and the kit came with the M4 stock and LPK. It's built on a DPMS lower.

It's a fantastic rifle. It functions flawlessly and smoothly. I've had no problems with it so far, and it easily eats anything I feed it. It's chambered for 5.56 so it can (and has) handled both .223 and 5.56 ammo.

It was the exact AR that I was looking for - good quality M4, built on a budget.

The kit cost me $510, the lower was 130, and the carry handle was 40. For $680, I had a perfectly function M4.

Del-Ton is an excellent company, and great people to deal with. I definitely plan on doing business with them in the future.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c349/Algaroth/Weapons/M41.jpg

(the sling, sling adapter and grip aren't included in that original price :D )

IrishDevil
02-08-08, 19:09
While not having owned one personally, I've seen 2 of their uppers lock up tight. Both belonged to a friend, both 16" carbines, both having to do with the carrier. One the gas key came loose, and bound up the action. The other the carrier actually broke and bound up the action. Not sure of the manufacturer for the carriers, both were supplied by Del-ton. He replaced both with BCM units and they worked after that. Also, one was apparently not a 5.56 chamber as it popped primers and would FTE repeatedly. He got it reamed and it was good to go. IMO, he should have just bought something else to begin with.

berserk
02-09-08, 01:21
I have checked the BCG and it is staked properly so the key shouldnt come loose, but I am going to replace it anyway and use the supplied one as a spare. Its good to hear that the rest of the guys posting have had good luck. ;)

Algaroth
02-09-08, 05:41
Yeah, the key on mine seems to be properly staked also. I check it when I clean it anyway, but it's always tight. :D

tkoglman
02-09-08, 05:41
I just built a 14.5" Del-ton uppered rifle. I took it to the range and had one ftf in the first 200 rounds.

I planned on using the rifle for duty, but that scared me enough to buy a Sabre Defense barrel to build my own upper with. I would be willing to give a premium rifle the benefit of the doubt with one failure in 200 - especially the first 200, but not knowing for sure how and what the del-ton is made of bothers me.

Del-ton is a good price and a good rifle, but I just need to know exactly what my rifle is made of and exactly how it is put together.

berserk
02-09-08, 05:58
I just built a 14.5" Del-ton uppered rifle. I took it to the range and had one ftf in the first 200 rounds.

I planned on using the rifle for duty, but that scared me enough to buy a Sabre Defense barrel to build my own upper with. I would be willing to give a premium rifle the benefit of the doubt with one failure in 200 - especially the first 200, but not knowing for sure how and what the del-ton is made of bothers me.

Del-ton is a good price and a good rifle, but I just need to know exactly what my rifle is made of and exactly how it is put together.

Damn man the rifle wasnt even broke in yet, BUT Im not going to use mine to save my life so I can understand your caution. I have an AK 74 to use if I need it for a survival situation(Im not a cop or military). I do have a question though what ammo were you using, and what type of faliure? Good luck and stay safe.