PDA

View Full Version : New AR choice BCM, DD 14.5,16, or MK18

steyrman13
10-08-12, 16:01
I'm currently deciding on a new AR. Looking into either the DDm4V1, BCM Midlength in either 16" or perm attached MB 14.5".
-If you do the 14.5" with midlength, can you still mount a Bayonet?
-Is the 14.5 more reliable with the Midlength or Carbine using a MB and or Suppressor?
Would I be better off going with the DD Mk18 all together and going ahead and doing the SBR route?

wetidlerjr
10-09-12, 03:15
Your question would probably be better answered in AR General Discussion (https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3).
This forum is about building an AR. :D

Plumber237
10-09-12, 06:23
From my experience you can never go wrong with BCM, their stuff is top of the line and they ship orders incredibly fast.

djmorris
10-09-12, 08:54
-If you do the 14.5" with midlength, can you still mount a Bayonet

Why would you do this, anyway? This pretty much defeats the purpose of a 14.5" carbine.

If you're really looking to mount a bayonet on your carbine then I don't even know where to start....... They are impractical, horribly ugly, and just handicapping yourself. Very outdated and have no place on a carbine such as the AR15/M4.. but hey, you know what they say about opinions.

polymorpheous
10-09-12, 09:03
You can not mount a bayonet on a 14.5" midlength.

Is this carbine going to be just a range toy?
If so, get whichever you want the most for whatever reason.
Both companies make a solid rifle.

steyrman13
10-09-12, 09:13
As to the build section- I am planning on building it from scratch, just need to know which route as to which parts to buy

The bayonet- More for if I needed/wanted to, so since the next reply tells me I don't need a midlength System for the 14.5 only 16 if I want to use the bayonet lug. I have used one before and not found it handicapped or ugly

It would be a dual role, range toy/HD. Not trying to do a which is better as much as which is easier to find parts for. From what I can find, DD only sells the Stripped reciever and parts kit but not buffer assembly. I think as for the barrel I would go CHF either way

polymorpheous
10-09-12, 09:19
Daniel Defense no longer sells stripped lowers.
BCM never sold stripped lowers.

BCM doesn't make a Mk18 profile upper receiver group, hammer forged or otherwise.

If you SBR the lower at 10.3" you can mount a 10.5", 11.5" etc. at will.

CrazyFingers
10-09-12, 09:54
The bayonet- More for if I needed/wanted to

Do you see yourself being charged by hordes of angry pygmies in the near future?

steyrman13
10-09-12, 09:58
Do you see yourself being charged by hordes of angry pygmies in the near future?

HAHA no, but still good idea to train with one mounted in case I ever did need to use it!

ASH556
10-09-12, 15:15
No offense bro, but you're all over the board.
What AR(s), if any, do you currently own?
What do they not do that you want this new one to do?
Do you have an unlimited budget?

As for me, I determined that I wanted an SBR with a red dot and white light for home defense, etc. It's small and easy to conceal if needed, it's easier to use inside a building or a vehicle. So, for that role I bought a MK18 and outfitted it with an Aimpoint T-1 and a Surefire Light.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_9764.jpg

Then, I determined that I wanted a second rifle for outside use to include precision shots and hunting. I chose a 16" Midlength and topped it with a 1.5-5 variable power Leupold scope.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_9873.jpg

steyrman13
10-09-12, 15:32
I have a longer range one so this would be for closer in, just not sure I want to go the SBR route or not. If I did, (I know some peoples stance on this) but I would prob go with the LWRC PSD and Suppress it for CQ,HD, in and out of vehicle type work, or maybe just the MK18. I'm just trying to see if there would be any benefit to going with the 14.5 over the 16" or just go SBR instead of the 16" because the 16 is alittle more optimal than the 14.5

jesuvuah
10-09-12, 18:05
I have done the 14.5" thing and doubt I will do it again. It is a big hassle if you ever want to change what is on the end of your barrel. For a carbine I definately prefer a 16" midlength.

steyrman13
10-12-12, 17:37
I definately understand you on the annoyance with the changing parts on a pin/welded device. I think I will go with a 16" until I decide if I want to do the SBR route. Thanks for y'alls help!

seb5
10-12-12, 17:58
If you don't already have a 16" then that's what you need. With that said I very much prefer the 14.5" with pinned muzzle device for my do it all carbines. You just have to be sure what you want before buying. That is somewhat offset nowadays with the multitude of rails that use the standard barrel nut. A Troy or Centurion are my preferences along with a battlecomp or Surefire if a suppressor is in the future.

narco23
10-12-12, 18:18
I definately understand you on the annoyance with the changing parts on a pin/welded device. I think I will go with a 16" until I decide if I want to do the SBR route. Thanks for y'alls help!

Not too long away I was trying to make the same decision that you are. I came into the entire process leaning towards an SBR because well they are badass. Eventually through help here and by really sitting down and figuring out what I need I went with a 16". I have no regrets. Do a lot of research here and listen to those with more experience.

Tzook
10-12-12, 23:44
Wait.... Bayonet? Seriously?

Magic_Salad0892
10-12-12, 23:56
Get a 16.1'' mid gas gun, and don't put any attachments on it, except a light + mount, and a sling. Shoot the shit out of it until you figure out what else you need on it. Shooting it is really the only way you can figure out what you're missing.

BufordTJustice
10-13-12, 03:11
I would say get a 16" with intermediate gas.....but those aren't very common yet. Yet. ;)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

seb5
10-13-12, 07:42
I would say get a 16" with intermediate gas.....but those aren't very common yet. Yet. ;)

Why, what advantage is there for intermediate vs. mid length? Isn't that what the 7.62's use?

C4IGrant
10-13-12, 08:21
As to the build section- I am planning on building it from scratch, just need to know which route as to which parts to buy

The bayonet- More for if I needed/wanted to, so since the next reply tells me I don't need a midlength System for the 14.5 only 16 if I want to use the bayonet lug. I have used one before and not found it handicapped or ugly

It would be a dual role, range toy/HD. Not trying to do a which is better as much as which is easier to find parts for. From what I can find, DD only sells the Stripped reciever and parts kit but not buffer assembly. I think as for the barrel I would go CHF either way

First, I am not a fan of pinned 14.5" uppers (as you are stuck with the rail and FH/MB. So either pay the $200 and do a MK18 or just go with a 16".

Second, bayonet's are stupid. Skip this.

Third, neither DD nor BCM sell stripped parts (like upper and lower receivers). So it is nearly impossible to build one from scratch.

C4

BufordTJustice
10-13-12, 13:50
Why, what advantage is there for intermediate vs. mid length? Isn't that what the 7.62's use?

It shoots even smoother than a mid length, longer component life, more reliable extraction due to lower case pressures. Noveske has been cranking out 16" intermediate length barrels for Wes at MSTN for almost a year now. It is a proven concept and they make for a perfect recce setup. :)

Magic_Salad0892
10-13-12, 14:21
It shoots even smoother than a mid length, longer component life, more reliable extraction due to lower case pressures. Noveske has been cranking out 16" intermediate length barrels for Wes at MSTN for almost a year now. It is a proven concept and they make for a perfect recce setup. :)

It's also what the KAC SR-15 was built on. They perfected it. And IIRC they just used the SR-25 gas tube.

KAC should be producing factory DMR guns with that barrel length and gas system, if they're not already. IIRC, they were showed to us at shot.

I remember them saying they'd be using Kreiger barrels, as that's what the Mk. 11, or M110s or something used.

My information is probably wrong, but that's how I remember it.

chadil1ac
10-13-12, 16:57
First, I am not a fan of pinned 14.5" uppers (as you are stuck with the rail and FH/MB. So either pay the $200 and do a MK18 or just go with a 16".

Second, bayonet's are stupid. Skip this.

Third, neither DD nor BCM sell stripped parts (like upper and lower receivers). So it is nearly impossible to build one from scratch.

C4

That's wierd, I bought a stripped upper receiver from BCM. :p

C4IGrant
10-13-12, 17:06
That's wierd, I bought a stripped upper receiver from BCM. :p

That's not a BCM. ;)

All BCM products are located here: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/SearchResults.asp?searching=Y&sort=13&brand=BCM&show=100&page=1

There are NO upper receivers under this listing.

C4

chadil1ac
10-13-12, 17:25
That's not a BCM. ;)

All BCM products are located here: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/SearchResults.asp?searching=Y&sort=13&brand=BCM&show=100&page=1

There are NO upper receivers under this listing.

C4

I figured that's where this was going :)

You would definitely know better than me. Who makes the stripped uppers that you can ORDER from BCM?

BufordTJustice
10-13-12, 18:09
It's also what the KAC SR-15 was built on. They perfected it. And IIRC they just used the SR-25 gas tube.

KAC should be producing factory DMR guns with that barrel length and gas system, if they're not already. IIRC, they were showed to us at shot.

I remember them saying they'd be using Kreiger barrels, as that's what the Mk. 11, or M110s or something used.

My information is probably wrong, but that's how I remember it.

I remember them saying the same. However, i understand Wes stating that the Noveske intermediate length is slightly diff from the KAC length, which does use the sr25 tube. I think the KAC is slightly longer, but I'm not sure.

Edit: there is a YouTube video of Trey taking about the barrels at shot show. IIRC, they're gonna be using Krieger.