PDA

View Full Version : mags reluctant to lock in

cthompson36
10-08-12, 20:37
hey guys, I dont know a whole lot about AR's but when inserting a mag, i really have to smack it to get it to stay... what does that mean? is that normal? do i tighten or loosen the mag release?

AKDoug
10-08-12, 20:42
Normal if the bolt is closed. To make it a little easier, download 30 round mags to 28 rounds.

ar911d
10-09-12, 00:06
Normally when inserting a full magazine, the rounds will press up on the bottom of the closed bolt carrier. That extra little slap is actually you forcing those rounds just a bit further into the magazine and compressing the magazine spring, which is fairly stiff as it is already fully compressed. Try inserting the magazine on an open bolt. You should encounter almost no resistance. If you still have to force it, then you have something wrong.

Hydguy
10-09-12, 08:03
What brand lower?

Any noticeable wear marks or scratches on the mags or in the mag well?

Could be several issues, or none at all. Not enough info to really make a call.

munch520
10-09-12, 08:35
Normal if the bolt is closed. To make it a little easier, download 30 round mags to 28 rounds.

bingo :cool:

I-M4-REAL
10-09-12, 08:45
What kind of mags are you using? If using 30rd 'USGI' (aluminum) mags make sure you count the rounds as you load as some (colt) will hold an 'extra' round making it 31 instead of 30 and will not insert.Now that I think about it the the plastic 'P-mags' can hold an extra round as well.Good Luck!

cthompson36
10-09-12, 16:01
its a palmetto lower, I always count out 28 rds, and I use troy brownells and pmags, all with same issue. It's not like they won't fit it just required a pretty hard whack to get them to lock in. I'll try with the bolt open and see if that works....

it works nice and smooth with the bolt open. so i assume that my problem is normal then?

AKDoug
10-09-12, 16:24
Yep, fairly normal. My DDM4 does the same thing with GI and Pmags, but less with Lancers. It's not really a problem as so much that it is the way the M4 works. You are basically banging up against the BCG and depressing the top rounds to get the mag to lock in. When the bolt is open, there is nothing in the way.

C4IGrant
10-09-12, 16:28
its a palmetto lower, I always count out 28 rds, and I use troy brownells and pmags, all with same issue. It's not like they won't fit it just required a pretty hard whack to get them to lock in. I'll try with the bolt open and see if that works....

it works nice and smooth with the bolt open. so i assume that my problem is normal then?

Don't whack them. Push/pull.

C4