PDA

View Full Version : 12 inch barrel with midlength gas

tommyrott
10-09-12, 00:07
getting ready to step into an sbr+suppressor , i have a 16" barrel with midlength gas, will it work cut down to 12 with a suppresor? i did try search got nothing. the only reason i ask is i have barrel and it still cheaper to have cut down than buy a new one, also i intend to use this as a pest/3gun rifle so not a serious use gun. the can i want to use is an AAC ranger thanks for the help

Iraqgunz
10-09-12, 02:25
Do you understand that by cutting the barrel you are affecting the operation of the weapon? Things like the gas port, dwell time, etc...

I don't recommend that you cut it down.

Magic_Salad0892
10-09-12, 03:47
A 12'' gun will not function properly with a port (approx .078'' or so) at the 9'' position.

wahoo95
10-09-12, 06:11
Sell your current barrel then buy a new one....problem solved

tommyrott
10-09-12, 17:32
so no cheating the port location? meaning location of port is as critical as size? any suggestions of barrel makers that offer port size choice? this is intended to run suppressed full time.

tommyrott
10-11-12, 00:02
so i was really hoping for a why this is a bad idea explanation that goes beyond cuz i said. but any way further research shows that yes it will work just not well, main reason being existing port size is way to big, so with that said if any one else has thought of this check out this months SWAT article on Metal Dreams , gentleman found a solution for existing barrels with oversized gas ports, or if you don't have the coin or resources for barrels with undersized gas ports

munch520
10-12-12, 17:16
You could cut it to 10-10.3" and have a reputable shop re-drill a carbine gas port for you.

If that barrel is going to be suppressed full time I'd do that and request a .058-.060" gas port

tommyrott
10-12-12, 17:29
that idea definately would help stay in budget thanks for the sugestion, i was thinking of reprofiling the barrel any way

wahoo95
10-12-12, 17:41
Another option is to contact the guys at Warsport in Robbins NC on this quest. They have their sweet LVOA SBR which is a 12" Middy and works well. Their design has been tested over many thousands of rounds through many rough conditions. They got the concept figured out so no need in reinventing the wheel ;)