PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like an organization you would want to interview for?

Nightvisionary
10-09-12, 02:57
I had some major reservations about applying for this low level supervisory job in a department that severely lacks leadership, professionalism and accountability.

If hired I could expect a 5-10% increase over my current wage but I would rotate shifts annually, work all holidays and weekends, have to come in at least twice a month on days off for meetings, getting time off would be more difficult and the responsibility/stress level would increase. Upper level supervisors are generally hired from outside the company so further promotion is not a realistic option.

The upside is a 5-10% wage increase and a slightly better entry for my resume.

On Friday Supervisor A schedules an interview for Tuesday at 7:15, Monday morning Supervisor B changes my interview time to Wednesday at 7:15. This afternoon I have a message from Supervisor C changing my interview to Wednesday at 8:30 then another message from Supervisor A changing my interview to Thursday at 10:30.

What do you think? Would you go?

Moose-Knuckle
10-09-12, 03:24
No, it's a dysfunctional organization.

The fact their "supervisors" don't even know how to schedule a f***ing interview speaks volumes.

LHS
10-09-12, 03:25
No, it's a dysfunctional origination.

The fact their "supervisors" don't even know how to schedule a f***ing interview speaks volumes.

This. Trust me, 5-10% is not worth the stress and loss of flexibility, much less having to deal with morons in charge.

Magic_Salad0892
10-09-12, 05:49
Yes. Go to it. Get the job. It's twice as easy to get another job while you're already employed. You don't have to work there long. But you'll be able to score another referance, and add stuff to your resume.

It's worth it if you're there for less than six months or so.

montanadave
10-09-12, 06:15
Sounds like a ****ing nightmare to me.

Stay where you are and keep looking. Sometimes the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

Sry0fcr
10-09-12, 08:03
Dude, if you have to ask then you probably already know the answer. If you're looking for reinforcement: Cancel the interview.

crusader377
10-09-12, 08:12
I had some major reservations about applying for this low level supervisory job in a department that severely lacks leadership, professionalism and accountability.

If hired I could expect a 5-10% increase over my current wage but I would rotate shifts annually, work all holidays and weekends, have to come in at least twice a month on days off for meetings, getting time off would be more difficult and the responsibility/stress level would increase. Upper level supervisors are generally hired from outside the company so further promotion is not a realistic option.

The upside is a 5-10% wage increase and a slightly better entry for my resume.

On Friday Supervisor A schedules an interview for Tuesday at 7:15, Monday morning Supervisor B changes my interview time to Wednesday at 7:15. This afternoon I have a message from Supervisor C changing my interview to Wednesday at 8:30 then another message from Supervisor A changing my interview to Thursday at 10:30.

What do you think? Would you go?

It never hurts talking to people. Just because you interview doesn't mean that you have to take the job if offered.

For better feedback would like to ask a few questions. First, are you working and if so are you happy with your current job? Second, what are your prospects and promotion/income opportunities? You might surprise yourself with your current job and secure that 5-10% increase with your current job. Third and very important question is what is your motivation for leaving your current job?

VooDoo6Actual
10-09-12, 08:17
Negative, drama awaits....

glocktogo
10-09-12, 08:47
All that for a measly 5-10%? Not a snowball's chance in hell my friend.

theblackknight
10-09-12, 08:54
How many people right now really have the ability to change jobs and get a legit increase?

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Magic_Salad0892
10-09-12, 08:56
If you're already employed then cancel the interview.

Nightvisionary
10-09-12, 09:47
It never hurts talking to people. Just because you interview doesn't mean that you have to take the job if offered.

For better feedback would like to ask a few questions. First, are you working and if so are you happy with your current job? Second, what are your prospects and promotion/income opportunities? You might surprise yourself with your current job and secure that 5-10% increase with your current job. Third and very important question is what is your motivation for leaving your current job?

I already work in the department and regularly serve in the position on a temporary basis when needed. The company I work for is huge and everyone outside of my department loves working for the company. My department appears to be an anomaly within an otherwise great organization. Since I was not leaving my employer the sole motivation for applying was the extra dollar or two an hour.

Caeser25
10-09-12, 10:14
If its the same company you work for now, are there limits to how often you can bid for a new job? If so I'd wait for something else to come along.

Sounds a lot like where I work. Everyone outside our "brigade" if you will, loves it. Where our area is a cluster**** due to a whole bunch of it people that were hired to move a lot of our capabilities from mainframe/dos to new web based programs, that are slow as **** and always crashing our computers due to insufficient memory, on top of ****ing up all kinds of other stuff while they're at it.

Clicking a mouse and watching the hourglass is easier but I only manage to complete 25% of the work as I did before. Our company dumped so much money into this new program and the it people that they don't want to scrap it and admit they were wrong. They spent millions of dollars on this new program and hiring it people that make 40k and up to make the work "easier" for a bunch people only making 23k-40k :suicide: it's worse than any of the army trials. M4, camo/uniform, crusader, etc.

I am in a great position to keep learning and move to an outside company audits us.

Nightvisionary
10-09-12, 10:23
If its the same company you work for now, are there limits to how often you can bid for a new job? If so I'd wait for something else to come along.

That was on my mind as well. I would be stuck for at least a year or two. Im over qualified for my current job as well as the one I applied for. Other positions outside the department come open all the time. It's just a matter of waiting for one that matches my qualifications.

crusader377
10-09-12, 10:29
How many people right now really have the ability to change jobs and get a legit increase?

sent from mah gun,using my sights

I do this for a living (executive recruiter/headhunter) and I'm still seeing an average of 8-10% increase in compensation with people moving jobs in the same geographic market. That said, unlikely in 2006-07 timeframe where such an increase was relatively easy, you really have to bring the goods today to get a strong bump in compensation. The same person today that might get a 8-10% increase would have probably received a 15% increase or more 5 years ago. FYI: Most of the jobs I place are in the $60K-$150K range.

crusader377
10-09-12, 10:39
That was on my mind as well. I would be stuck for at least a year or two. Im over qualified for my current job as well as the one I applied for. Other positions outside the department come open all the time. It's just a matter of waiting for one that matches my qualifications.

Start networking with people in the other departments. The problem with large corporations is that many hiring decisions at least start with corporate HR and a lot of times they just do a matching key word search on resumes to develop a shortlist of potential candidates. You can take HR out of the equation by getting to know people in the departments that you have interest in working in.