PDA

View Full Version : Jack-of-all-trades suppressor for 14.7" carbine?

DreadPirateMoyer
10-09-12, 09:45
TLDR: any suggestions on the lightest, shortest suppressor that is still hearing safe and made of steel?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there M4C,

My next purchase is a 14.7” carbine w/ pinned muzzle device (because screw going through the NFA process more than I have to). I’ve got a few ARs already, but this is going to be my go-to for emergencies, so I’d like to make it as well-rounded as possible: a jack-of-all-trades kind of deal that is flexible depending on what I need from it. I’ve got everything worked out at this point except for one sticking point: the suppressor.

I’m looking for a suppressor that isn’t necessarily the quietest, smallest, or lightest one on the market, but is a good compromise of all 3 – just like the rifle, a jack of all trades. I currently own a Surefire FA556AR, which I really like in terms of the length (only 3.75” added to OAL) and suppression, but combined with the mount, it’s fairly heavy (17 ounces plus a large mount; probably 21-22 ounces?). Are there any suppressors out there that are similar to the FA556AR in sound reduction and added length, but are lighter?

Since the muzzle device on this rifle will be pinned, I’d like to know what suppressor I’m putting on the rifle before I order everything. The OPS Inc. M4-S doesn’t provide enough reduction for my tastes (though I love the size/weight), and an M4-M seems like it would be a redundant purchase since it’s so similar to my Surefire. Maybe a Surefire or AAC Mini?

Honestly, I think I’m stuck with the FA556AR as my jack-of-all-trades suppressor, but I thought I’d check before getting something pinned (which I know is reversible, but I’d prefer to get it right the first time). Any assistance those of you with more suppressor experience than me can provide would be much appreciated. :)

P.S.: hearing-safe is important to me as well!

Magic_Salad0892
10-09-12, 10:32
TLDR: any suggestions on the lightest, shortest suppressor that is still hearing safe and made of steel?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there M4C,

My next purchase is a 14.7” carbine w/ pinned muzzle device (because screw going through the NFA process more than I have to). I’ve got a few ARs already, but this is going to be my go-to for emergencies, so I’d like to make it as well-rounded as possible: a jack-of-all-trades kind of deal that is flexible depending on what I need from it. I’ve got everything worked out at this point except for one sticking point: the suppressor.

I’m looking for a suppressor that isn’t necessarily the quietest, smallest, or lightest one on the market, but is a good compromise of all 3 – just like the rifle, a jack of all trades. I currently own a Surefire FA556AR, which I really like in terms of the length (only 3.75” added to OAL) and suppression, but combined with the mount, it’s fairly heavy (17 ounces plus a large mount; probably 21-22 ounces?). Are there any suppressors out there that are similar to the FA556AR in sound reduction and added length, but are lighter?

Since the muzzle device on this rifle will be pinned, I’d like to know what suppressor I’m putting on the rifle before I order everything. The OPS Inc. M4-S doesn’t provide enough reduction for my tastes (though I love the size/weight), and an M4-M seems like it would be a redundant purchase since it’s so similar to my Surefire. Maybe a Surefire or AAC Mini?

Honestly, I think I’m stuck with the FA556AR as my jack-of-all-trades suppressor, but I thought I’d check before getting something pinned (which I know is reversible, but I’d prefer to get it right the first time). Any assistance those of you with more suppressor experience than me can provide would be much appreciated. :)

P.S.: hearing-safe is important to me as well!

I recently shot a friend's SureFire Micro on a 10.5'' SCAR, and it sounded great. I'm not sure if it was hearing safe, but my ears weren't ringing.

On a 14.7'' gun (make sure it's a midlength, and I'd recommend the SYRAC gas block), I'd prefer the SureFire Mini/Micro. Either or, would be acceptable.

DreadPirateMoyer
10-09-12, 10:42
It is indeed going to be a midlength. :) And thanks very much for the advice.

I'm wondering what the new SF Mini's reduction is like...

RyanB
10-09-12, 12:57
The M4M is 3.5" past the muzzle. The FA556AR is 3.75" past the A2 length flash suppressor. Which is like 5" total past the muzzle. Maybe a little more.

I'd look for a Surefire Micro or Mini.

DreadPirateMoyer
10-09-12, 17:34
Whoa, whoa...I didn't even realize that. You're completely right about the M4-S and M4-M. This really changes my perspective, because for the cost of a Surefire Mini (well, now SOCOM Mini), I could grab an M4-S and M4-M.

A few questions now that this revelation has been bestowed upon me.

1. Anyone know if OPS Inc. plans on releasing a new attachment system anytime soon? Because if not, that would give me a ton of flexibility on this rifle for a good amount of time. I don't, however, want to buy an M4-S and M4-M and then have them turn around and throw me the shaft like Surefire did with the SOCOM series, leaving me with no future support or upgrades.

2. The Surefire SOCOM556 Mini, if it follows the same formula as the SOCOM556-RC, should add about 3 inches to my rifle's OAL. This seems to me like it would actually be 3 inches past the flash hider, and an actual addition of 5 inches to the OAL. Can anyone confirm?

I'm definitely leaning OPS Inc., now.

WS6
10-09-12, 22:23
I have a 556-212 on a 14.5" middy and love it. In fact, I just ordered another one. I use the 212 mount. I think the SOCOM cans are nice, but I don't think they are nearly as revolutionary as others indicate. Wait until they get shot some and you get customer reviews. Right now, the only people telling you about them are people who want you to buy them.

The Surefire 556-212 is a "medium" suppressor. It adds roughly an inch less than the M4-2000, and roughly 1 inch more than the M4-Mini. It weighs 1.5oz more than the Mini, and 1.1 oz less than the M4-2000.

I view the 556-212 as a product that is in a category people have ignored, regarding size/weight, and the fact that it performs almost as well as the M4-2000 regarding sound attenuation is just a bonus on top. For me, it has worked great!

Pappabear
10-10-12, 01:48
I just received my AAC Mini 4 today. It went on a :

14.5 Middy
Vltor MUR....
all that good shit

Any way, it feels better than the m4-2000 and I'm sure it will work just fine a 14.5 inch barrel. They sell for $800 and AAC are good kit. Locked up tight too.

Good Luck

PB

DreadPirateMoyer
10-11-12, 10:57
Well guys, I really appreciate all your advice. It's really helped me evaluate what I'm looking for. With that said, I'm 99% OPS Inc at this point (M4-M and M4-S).

The only thing holding me back is trying to figure out if there is a new line of suppressors/mounts on the way from OPS, thereby outdating this purchase before the ATF forms even clear. I don't want to get boned by that like I did with Surefire.

Anyone know if OPS has any plans to change out their line like that? I know there were rumblings with Surefire for months (that I stupidly missed), so I thought I'd see if anyone knows the same for OPS.

wahoo95
10-11-12, 11:02
The idea of taking the time to go thru the NFA process for a can yet seeing it as not worth the time for a SBR doesn't really make sense. Send off the paperwork for both at the same time of the wait is an issue. Save your pennies for a few more weeks if the extra $200 is an issue.

Ironman8
10-11-12, 12:52
Well guys, I really appreciate all your advice. It's really helped me evaluate what I'm looking for. With that said, I'm 99% OPS Inc at this point (M4-M and M4-S).

The only thing holding me back is trying to figure out if there is a new line of suppressors/mounts on the way from OPS, thereby outdating this purchase before the ATF forms even clear. I don't want to get boned by that like I did with Surefire.

Anyone know if OPS has any plans to change out their line like that? I know there were rumblings with Surefire for months (that I stupidly missed), so I thought I'd see if anyone knows the same for OPS.

I have the OPS Inc M4S on my 11.5". It is excellent suppression-wise for its size and price point. Its not hearing safe, but I would have no problem with touching a shot off indoors with no hearing protection if I ever had to. It really does a good job toning down the blast and noise. I would imagine that on a 14.7", it would perform excellent!

And you're exactly right about getting an M4M and M4S for the same price as a SF or AAC suppressor. It really can't be beat. I will eventually pick up an M4M and a 16th...just wish I had put in for the M4M along with the M4S at the same time...

Oh btw...As far as I know, OPS has been using the same exact collar/muzzle device setup for years now. I doubt that they would ever change since that design is what they're known for, but even if they did, just know that the current setup is absolutely rock solid! Its a great setup and is still fairly QD, IMO.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l583/bgonzo8/IMG_0198.jpg

Aries144
10-12-12, 11:50
This may not be helpful if you're set on using a 14.5" bbl on a non SBR with a pinned muzzle device, but since you edited your post to request info on "any suggestions on the lightest, shortest suppressor that is still hearing safe and made of steel?", I'll include the following from my own research and experience:

The weight of the mounts for the Surefire and AAC cans adds 4oz to the listed suppressor weight. A standard A2 muzzle device is about 2oz. I'm not sure how much the Ops Inc mounts weigh.

The shortest, lightest rifle cans that are still 'hearing safe' (if by hearing safe you mean less than 140dB at the muzzle) and are all-steel (or steel and inconel) are going to be thread-mounted cans. The weight ranges from 17-14oz total for this type of suppressor.

There are 4 rifle cans I'm aware of at this time that fall roughly into this range: The AAC Ranger 2 (15.5oz/5.8"), AAC Ranger 3 (13.8oz/6"), HTG Eureka (14.5oz/4.6"), and the Silencerco Saker (which, with a thread-mount optional endcap, should be around 17oz total). Only the Ranger 2 and Eureka are available at this time but you'd have to find a stocking dealer as they are both out of production.

For comparison, including mount weight, the Surefire FA556-212 is (20oz/6") and the AAC Mini4 is (17.5oz/5.25"). The Mini4 is over 140dB in all testing results I've seen, though.

If you are still set on a pinned muzzle device or quick attach can, the previous posts here seem like good advice.

ETA: The HTG Eureka's weight/length is listed as (14.5oz/4.6") in a review and (17oz.4.8") on HTG's website.

TehLlama
10-13-12, 14:10
Whoa, whoa...I didn't even realize that. You're completely right about the M4-S and M4-M. This really changes my perspective, because for the cost of a Surefire Mini (well, now SOCOM Mini), I could grab an M4-S and M4-M.

A few questions now that this revelation has been bestowed upon me.

1. Anyone know if OPS Inc. plans on releasing a new attachment system anytime soon? Because if not, that would give me a ton of flexibility on this rifle for a good amount of time. I don't, however, want to buy an M4-S and M4-M and then have them turn around and throw me the shaft like Surefire did with the SOCOM series, leaving me with no future support or upgrades.

2. The Surefire SOCOM556 Mini, if it follows the same formula as the SOCOM556-RC, should add about 3 inches to my rifle's OAL. This seems to me like it would actually be 3 inches past the flash hider, and an actual addition of 5 inches to the OAL. Can anyone confirm?

I'm definitely leaning OPS Inc., now.

The real issue with the OPS setup is you become restricted on extended barrel from handguard (2.5") and mostly that those barrels become married to that suppressor setup, and that can get costly (still not SF costly, but it's not as simple to update as moving a muzzle device)

The upside with the OPS is you're never finding yourself dealing with the 'my can is jammed on' to nearly the same extent, and the obvious cost advantage of the M4-S made mine a $400 can.

Any complaint I've heard about the OPS units is how they're 'dated' designs, both on baffle and mounting, but I don't really view that as a problem. Sure, the latest inconel alloys trim weight and handle high heat really well (as that whole family of nickel alloys is meant to), but the fact that OPS has been selling stainless steel cans of roughly the same design for nearly two decades told me that they had something right, so I'm already in for two tax stamps myself.

RyanB
10-13-12, 14:58
I doubt OPS plans on changing the mounts. Spikes now makes mounts and cans that are compatible and ADCO has explored the possibility of making their own OPS style cans in inconel.

DreadPirateMoyer
10-14-12, 17:54
Thanks for the advice, everyone. :)

After taking everything into account and talking to OPS, I'm 100% OPS at this point. They've told me there are no plans for a new mounting system as they're very happy with the current one. They also helped me out with some weights and dimensions, and overall, I'm sold.

OPS Inc. M4-S and M4-M on the way!